Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JETCAT P-80 PROBLEM

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JETCAT P-80 PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 PM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JETCAT P-80 PROBLEM

Hi,
A friend has a brand new P-80 (ECU V.6). Engine test run and eventually placed in the model. Plane takes off and makes a nice flight but when in downwind lag, coming into landing, the engine quits. He was lucky that the damage was extremely mild. Plane is now repaired and the engine is back on the test bench.
At first we thought of fuel starvation, then UAT/bubbles problem, however, on the test bench we had a different experience. We noticed that the engine always stopped at around 615C at circa 65 - 75K rpm. The hand held meter always read "LOW RPM". This provides a reason why the engine quit in flight since the rpm was around 70K. It also seems that the "fault" is intermetent.

Anybody experienced a similar problem? If in the affirmative can you please tell me what the solution was. (The obvious would be to send everything back to JETCAT but for the moment we are trying to see what could be done with resorting to this choice).

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks

Reuben
Old 08-15-2008, 04:47 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JETCAT P-80 PROBLEM

Here is JetCats definition for "Low RPM" error:

Low-RPM
Turbine running under the minimum RPM, by 10% and a delay of 3 seconds. Usually triggered by a flame out.

That could mean a lot of things but I would think a fuel issue most of all. Did you get a puff of white smoke out the back?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is your problem but you could try it. I have a friend whos 120 would start up then turn off after a little while.

Make sure the temp outside is around 70 degrees. Press and hold the button ( like you would be "learning the rc") and turn on the ECU, it will go into the learn rc window at first, but continue to depress the button for another 30 seconds or so. It will then go into a screen which learns the ambient temp at that time.

You should also make sure the temp probe is positioned correctly.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Is he on 2.4 or 72Mhz?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:11 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a similar problem on my P60SE (6.0 ecu). I sent the engine to Jetcat. They upgraded the ECU to the latest 6.0 version (6.0H at the time) and the problem went away. Of course it is intermittent and it is hard to know for sure that the problem is definitely gone.

I did a lot of research on the subject and my conclusion was to:

- check all fuel related stuff (solenoid, pump, line, filter, tank, clunk)
- check that the rpm sensor wire is properly connected and has clean contacts on both sides
- make sure that the rpm sensor wire is not subject to electrical noise. You may want try routing it differently.

I hope this helps.

Arnaud
Old 08-16-2008, 12:51 AM
F86_SABRE

Gary...2.4G
Old 08-16-2008, 12:59 AM
F86_SABRE

Arnaud,
We checked all fuel related set-up and everything was fine. No bubbles in the system at all. We did not check the last two points of your contribution (i.e. rpm sensor). My contention is that this problem is software related because it can't be that if there were bubbles in the system the turbine would always stop at approximately the same rpm/temperature position.
I think you made the wisest decision of getting the software upgraded thereby eliminating the problem with a fresh reinstallation. Probably that is the route we have to eventually take in due course but I am playing for time to see whether any of our friends here had a similar experience and what was their solution.

Thanks all for your help. It is appreciated.

Reuben