Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Tronics valve failure rate

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Tronics valve failure rate

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jet Tronics valve failure rate

Has anyone else been having a high failure rate on their Jet Tronics valve? I have had of their (3)valves and (1)sequencer fail in the last six months. The two way valves will power up with one side open and will not allow the other side to be selected and will not reset. The sequencer will not hold its memorized settings. Is this just happening to me or have other been seeing these kinds of failures.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:24 PM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jet Tronics valve failure rate

if using spectrum you are in good company they are failing right and left.
i have even used pulse amplifiers as suggested by jr and they are still taking a pooh!
all my valves have been ok it has been sequencer failures - (3)
Old 08-13-2008, 05:16 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I just had a brake valve let the smoke out, on the bench luckily.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been claiming these devices were garbage for about three years now. I threw one away, and have one more somewhere, next time I find it, I might toss it too.

The one plus side that I heard about these at FL Jets was that Todd has an adapter to take the quick release and change out to a barbed fitting. I don't know about the electrical issues as I have not used them on 2.4, but the barbed fittings might have been nice three or four years ago when I gave them a go.

I have gone as much as I can to the Altercare RC valve. It is a brake unit and retract valve all in one. I have yet to have a failure of any kind on it. Two years running.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 AM
P38J

I don't really want to change the setup on all of the jets that these valves are installed to add a servo, but it looks like I'll be slowly changing over to the Airpower or the new V2 Jet Tronics valves. I've got a few of these and so far so good. The change to the barbed fittings is a definitely a plus. If the new valves don't hold up then I'll switch back to the servo controlled valves.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:29 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: P38J

Has anyone else been having a high failure rate on their Jet Tronics valve? I have had of their (3)valves and (1)sequencer fail in the last six months. The two way valves will power up with one side open and will not allow the other side to be selected and will not reset. The sequencer will not hold its memorized settings. Is this just happening to me or have other been seeing these kinds of failures.
Got exactly the same with a brand new Jet Tronic dual valve which only powers up one side open and will not allow the other side to be selected and also will not reset.

Don't know what to do with this unit as it was bought almost 1 year ago but never used/tried....
Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 AM
CaptainFlynn

Brand new jet-tronic dual valve out of the box did only work with one channel. Cost me a lot of nerves and one evening to figure out that the valve was actually broken and I did not make a mistake in programming it.

However they exchanged it within a couple of days.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I had a brand new jetronic brake valve I purchased this summer arrive DOA. It would light up, but not operate the valve. I removed cover and found a cold solder joint between the component card and the solenoid. I hit it with solder and it works perfectly now and I am pleased with the valve, but there was really no excuse for it leaving the factory that way.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:59 PM
P38J

Hopefully they have improved their QA process with the new valves. Has anybody had the new version 2 valves arrive DOA?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I have jet-tronics valves in my Kingcat and I just switched it to 2.4 (module in my 10X and an AR9000 receiver). Why are they failing? This has me a little concerned now. The last thing I want is for my gear to not come back down or my brakes to fail! Gear not going up is annoying, gear not coming down is BAD!!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 PM
P38J

The ones that I've had fail have been the older style with the aluminum lower body. And one sequencer that wouldn’t stay programmed, it was replaced by Bob Wilcox and has been fine since.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:08 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

well, mine are definitely older, from 2004, they've been absolutely flawless so far, but that was on 72mhz, now I'm concerned with it on 2.4

have the 2.4 failures been something that you notice as soon as the radio is on? or am I in a possible failure in flight situation where the gear goes up, but then won't go back down?
Old 08-16-2008, 12:25 AM
CaptainFlynn

I use 4 more of those vavles dual- and single in my jets with Futaba 2.4 and they work flawless. I believe most of the failures here are related to problems with the vavle itself and not with the radio used.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:34 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine was the old style. I just got a new style valve in the mail and will install it tomorrow... er today actually.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:04 AM
P38J

I run the valves using 2.4 Spectrum and fasst systems and notice no problems when changing over from 72 Mhz. some have had problems with the lower signal voltage and have had to use signal amps or matchboxes to boost the signal strength to get their older valves and sequencers to work properly.