Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-84G "Rainbow warrior" second maiden

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-84G "Rainbow warrior" second maiden

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: F-84G

ORIGINAL: marc s

Oli, that has to be one of the best finished and looking jets I've seen for a long while, beyond perfect if there was such a level!

marcs
Thank you Marc.
Coming from you it is a real compliment
Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 AM
olnico

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

fantastic additions. You are a master.

no 2.4 though? That ugly antenna isn't complementing your beautiful work.
Yes the plane is now running on FASST. So no more external antennas.

Thank you for the remark because I just realized that I forgot to close the ugly hole on top of the fuselage...
Old 03-19-2010, 10:34 AM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oli - WOW, just stunning, WOW!

Would you ever consider doing a thread/video on Flite Metal application? I have no problem with getting the panels weathered, getting a different sheen in each one, laying out the tape, cutting the panels etc.

My main problem is I always seem to get creases or hairline ridgesin just about every 2nd sheet and end up wasting a lot of material. I'd like to know if you have some trick for consistently getting the panels on flat and crease free.

I'd also like to know how you are able to get it around the very tight edges too - like around your intake lip for example. Soft radius are okay for me but when there is major curvature on cowls, wing root fairings, sharp edgesetc - it just tears so easily and drives me nuts.

Or is it normal to end up wasting a fair amount of material and just partof the process?

How about tools? Ed's burnishing paper tools work well - but have you found anything else?

I'd really appreciate if you can share some tips

Simple beautiful build - how the heck are you going to improve on it with the next one ???
Old 03-19-2010, 12:25 PM
olnico

I get rid of the ridges by ironing them down with a polished flap metal ruler and some white spirit as lubricant. If the ridges are really too thick, I just redo the panel.
I waste about 10% of material on each project.

I do not bother doing the sharp curves with FM. I paint them. It shows pretty nice with another different aluminium tone.

I don't think that I can improve the finish much ( and it is just a matter of time spent anyway ). But the internal structure is another story.
I am now working almost exclusively with carbon/nomey or carbon/balsa sandwich. I save a lot of weight like this ( You might have seen the Me262 thread ).
I also build all my planes with ply/carbon flex plates for the gear. This is a fantastic improvement over pure carbon flex plates.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oli,

Good to see she's been taken to the next step. Looks authentic 1950's Do the Zuni's release as I assume the bomb?

Reading your post makes me wonder if you sold her...? Or are you and she coming to TG?

Ed