Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Looking for Feedback on Grass Runways for Turbine Jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Looking for Feedback on Grass Runways for Turbine Jets

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
burner1011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Feedback on Grass Runways for Turbine Jets

Our club is currently investigating what type of grass to use for a 50' x 600' runway in south Florida. Both Bahia grass and Celebration grass (a type of Bermuda grass) are under consideration. I am wondering if anyone has experience flying off of either with turbines, and if there are any engine concerns based on Bahia versus Celebration. The Bahia grows vertically, while the Bermuda grows horizontally. Theoretically, there would be less sand intrusion into an underwing turbine on Bermuda than Bahia. Thanks for any feedback you can give in advance!

Rob
Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for Feedback on Grass Runways for Turbine Jets

i absolutely despise Bahia grass myself. the little shoots pop up less then a day after you cut it and they'll fill your intake with gobs of seed and poke holes all in the covering of built up structures. Bermuda would have to be kept fairly tall cut or it'll kill it especially in the south where it gets hot. Zoysia would be my recommendation.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

I would plant asphalty if you can ???
Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Kelly if you can get asphalty to grow there's less maintance leaving more time too fly.[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=idea.gif][sm=idea.gif]
Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KC,
the new hybrids of Bermuda grass tolerate the drought much better, but for my runway I am putting in an irrgation well. I am flying my turbine off the Bermuda grass, but it is not fully grown in yet. I bought a golf green mower (Toromaster 300 Reel mower) to keep it cut down. It will shave it down to a 1/4 inch and make it look like Astroturf. The Bahai grass is aggravating, and can get out of control pretty quickly.
Asphalt is better, but it is expensive, and requires to much up keep for my place.
Between the two choice you have given, mine would be the Bermuda.
Tommy
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
KC36330

Tommy,

me personally, i won't fly off grass, both the fields i fly at are asphalt and concrete, the small one is only 300' x 1600' but we manage with it the bigger field is 900' x 2000' and the US Army tends to all the upkeep so no problems with that [&:]
Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No doubt, asphalt or concrete is my first choice, BUT last year i ended up buying a place and having a 850 feet runway put in with drainage control and everything. It makes it easier when I cannot leave town being on call, so I can still go out and fly, even a turbine if I want.
Defintiely though, asphalt is the preferred surface for turbine operations.
Tommy
Old 03-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Flying freak

Have you tried contacting a local golf course? They will know more about grass than anyone else in your area.

Steven
Old 03-13-2009, 05:51 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

zoysia is absolutely horrible to fly off. I prefer asphalt or concrete but a well manicured grass runway is great to fly jets from. As Tommy mentioned the new varieties of Bermuda are very drought resistant. Irrigation and good drainage is also a key.

DR
Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 PM
FL510
My Feedback: (8)

We put down Bermuda 419 it's used as a fairway grass on golf courses. Our field is 700 x 50. Cuts short and makes a compact surface.

Jed
Old 03-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I feel botanically challenged [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]........I never knew there was a choice of grass! All I know that it is green for awhile, then turns brown later in the summer. Normally, I don't plan to spend my time ON the grass......I would much rather be flying up above it !!!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:56 PM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have road construction filter cloth put down over a sand base...........60'X600'.............we fly only turbines and have been flying on the same surface for over 4 1/2 years.....you don't have to cut it but do have spray with "round up" from time to time......like flying off grass without the dirt and grass..........has stood up well under the fla sun and rain

Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 PM
burner1011

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I am remembering the bahia seeds very clearly now, though we would have a cutting schedule to manage that. I wish asphalty was an option...thanks to the local goverment and costs in general, that is no longer an option. Everyone's input will make for much food for thought and much discussion at the club I'm sure. Thanks, again! Have a great weekend and great flying!

Rob
Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 PM
burner1011

Thanks for your reply. Can you give me any more info on the cloth you mentioned? It sounds ideal for us. We're over on the east coast in Stuart and Indiantown, FLorida. Any info would be helpful!

Rob
Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Well. Gear doors are not an option, at all.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Mace
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: burner1011

Thanks for your reply. Can you give me any more info on the cloth you mentioned? It sounds ideal for us. We're over on the east coast in Stuart and Indiantown, FLorida. Any info would be helpful!

Rob

If you put in a sod bermuda grass and keep weight on it as well as keep it cut very low, water it every once in a while then you will have one of the hardest most compact surfaces for jets to run off of. Bermuda likes to live, so it will find any way possible to do so, even it it has to grow completely horizontally. Drought is better because it will not try to grow as high so you keep just enough water on it to stay green. If you plant bermuda and drive a vehicle up and down the runway, not only will it stay low like AstroTurf, it will help compact the soil and get rid of the high spots. The surface will become very clean and durable and you won't have to cut it as much. The secret is to keep weight on it and keep it cut short. The drawback is that it will take a while to get it established.

Talk to the guys that have flown off of and take care of the grass at the Triple Tree Field in South Carolina. That place is kept in tip top condition although the grass is kept cut a little higher than I like.

Hope This Helps,

MACE
Old 03-20-2009, 09:08 AM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: burner1011

Rob
Petromat
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15993.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1161817