RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking for Feedback on Grass Runways for Turbine Jets
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Mace
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Feedback on Grass Runways for Turbine Jets

ORIGINAL: burner1011

Thanks for your reply. Can you give me any more info on the cloth you mentioned? It sounds ideal for us. We're over on the east coast in Stuart and Indiantown, FLorida. Any info would be helpful!

Rob

If you put in a sod bermuda grass and keep weight on it as well as keep it cut very low, water it every once in a while then you will have one of the hardest most compact surfaces for jets to run off of. Bermuda likes to live, so it will find any way possible to do so, even it it has to grow completely horizontally. Drought is better because it will not try to grow as high so you keep just enough water on it to stay green. If you plant bermuda and drive a vehicle up and down the runway, not only will it stay low like AstroTurf, it will help compact the soil and get rid of the high spots. The surface will become very clean and durable and you won't have to cut it as much. The secret is to keep weight on it and keep it cut short. The drawback is that it will take a while to get it established.

Talk to the guys that have flown off of and take care of the grass at the Triple Tree Field in South Carolina. That place is kept in tip top condition although the grass is kept cut a little higher than I like.

Hope This Helps,

MACE