Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetlegend Mig 29 Fulcrum

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetlegend Mig 29 Fulcrum

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jetlegend Mig 29 Fulcrum

Ian,

If I remember right, you ordered your UMS conversion kit about the same time I did. It might make sense to replace the capacitor with the one from Radio Shack to avoid a potential scorching issue. Just a thought. Its cheap.

Regards,
Rob
F15driver

Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing Rob. I have a Radio Shack right down the street so I will probably pick one up and just get it done.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I just got my Eurokit hydraulic conversion kit and it looks great ! i see all of the fittings are for 4mm tubing, so im thinking what would be the best (with least fittings) method of hooking up everything with the Festo pilot check valves down the line.

Perhaps getting the HGL-M5-B pilot check valve with a 4mm fitting on the pilot line and 4mm inlet, with the only 3mm line being the outlet to the JL cylinder ? That way most of the line is 4mm, and on the other side of the culinder (where there is no festo valve) i could just use a simple 4/3mm reducer next to the cylinder, or perhaps even ditch the reducer and replace the cylinder fitting to a M3 threaded fitting with 4mm quick connection such as the QSML-M3-4 ?
(honestly not sure if one would fit the Mig 29 cylinders since it might hit the aluminum LG rail).

Can anyone who has the Festo pilot check valve post a picture of which line is the pilot line and which is in/out for the flow ?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:01 AM
johnls

The way you hook up the HGL-M5 valve is shown on the instructions you get with it, also it is etched on the outside of the valve. I can't take a picture of mine now as they are tucked away inside the model. The outlet that is on its own (which needs the QSML connector on it) connects to the cylinder down line. The outlet at 90" next to it goes to the down line of the five way valve. The remaining 4mm outlet is connected, via a 3 way connector, to the up line. When up is selected pressure via this line releases the pressure in the down line.

John
Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 AM
i3dm

Is my sketch correct ?

If so, why use 4/3mm reducers like Shane did (see pics), rather than just run 4mm lines all across to the Pilot and Inlet lines ? the only 3mm line in this setup should be the outlet line.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34706.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1548759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49698.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	1548760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33462.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	1548761  
Old 01-16-2011, 11:43 AM
johnls

Hi, Yes your picture is correct. You could use a 4mm connector, but at some stage it has to reduce to 3mm to fit onto the landing gear nipple.( It is not possible to fit a 4mm nipple here as there is not enough metal). If you run the 4mm pipe down further to the landing gear nipple then you will find there is not enough room for the gear door to close and the pipe will get trapped against the body work and could rupture it. My conversion is as Shanes(Bart) and it works fine.

John
Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 AM
i3dm

I will have the pilot line 4mm, inlet line 4mm, and only the valve outlet (to the cylinder) 3mm. that way the entire valve is without a single restrictor !
The only restrictors are on the other side of the cylinder, where 4mm line has to connect directly to the cylinder via a 4/3mm restrictor, so overall only 2 restrictors in the entire system.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 AM
johnls

Yes, Thats the same as I have.

John
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM
ianober

Sweet, got all ,y parts from Rob today so I am going to start setting mine up ASAP, which means hopefully tonight. I will post pics as I go along!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
ianober

Got started on mounting my equipment on trays last night and today. Slow progress but I am still waiting on some Festo parts from Todd. Gonna keep plugging away till I get these gear going up and down. I swapped out the Capacitor last night and test fired the ECU and the pump today. Worked good so far but it was not under and load so we'll see how it goes.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:30 PM
F15driver

Ian,

I just received the Y Festos from Todd and installed one on one of the mains. Boy, you talk about rock solid! I couldn't move the gear at all and I was pulling hard. I've still got mine set up on a test stand so haven't transferred it to the airplane as of yet. The way the one main worked though, there is no question that this is the solution for the Mig 29 gear problem.
Keep me posted on your progress. I'll be installing my gear in the airplane next week. Have been busy building a shipping crate for a large airplane I just sold.

Regards,
Rob
Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 AM
johnls

After 4 months of being grounded with the undercarriage problems, the day came yesterday to test fly the Mig with the hydraulic conversion. The weather was perfect at Wroughton Airfield, with light winds but a chilly 2 degrees. I cycled the undercarriage to do a final check, and as usual it operated correctly. With the Merlin 160 for power it sprinted into the air, and looked fantastic with the twin afterburner rings glowing brightly. The moment of truth - gear switch up- ******** nothing!!! The gear remained down!! I cycled it a couple of times but it remained down.
After about 8 minutes of flight time I landed very baffled and disappointed. I put the model on a stand and the gear worked perfectly. I thought perhaps I didn't wait long enough. The gear is slow and watching it in the workshop is very different than moving through the air for what seems like an eternity. Flight 2, I flicked the gear switch up and left it. After about two circuits the nose gear was tucked away and the landing gear seemed up, but on closer inspection was nearly up but stopped still just hanging out of the fuselage, at the point where the leverage is the greatest. Where I go from here I don't know, suicide seems a good option.

John
Old 01-22-2011, 02:01 AM
F15driver

John,

Damn, will the troubles never end? Hard to say what the problem was, low battery maybe? All gear issues aside, how did the Mig fly? Where do you have your CG? How were the two landings? Any flying issues I should look out for with this airplane?

John, keep up with it - I'm convinced the hydraulic conversion is the way to go on this bird. Mine should be ready for a test flight in about 2/3 weeks.

Keep the faith,

Rob
Old 01-22-2011, 03:47 AM
Aussie Bart

ORIGINAL: johnls

After 4 months of being grounded with the undercarriage problems, the day came yesterday to test fly the Mig with the hydraulic conversion. The weather was perfect at Wroughton Airfield, with light winds but a chilly 2 degrees. I cycled the undercarriage to do a final check, and as usual it operated correctly. With the Merlin 160 for power it sprinted into the air, and looked fantastic with the twin afterburner rings glowing brightly. The moment of truth - gear switch up- ******** nothing!!! The gear remained down!! I cycled it a couple of times but it remained down.
After about 8 minutes of flight time I landed very baffled and disappointed. I put the model on a stand and the gear worked perfectly. I thought perhaps I didn't wait long enough. The gear is slow and watching it in the workshop is very different than moving through the air for what seems like an eternity. Flight 2, I flicked the gear switch up and left it. After about two circuits the nose gear was tucked away and the landing gear seemed up, but on closer inspection was nearly up but stopped still just hanging out of the fuselage, at the point where the leverage is the greatest. Where I go from here I don't know, suicide seems a good option.

John
John

Couple of quick things, on the mig I believe we need a full 2 cell Lipo for speed (I know you have one already), but more importantly don't set the trim pot on the controller too fine. When motoring along as the Merlin would push it, the air pressure against the gear makes things a little different compared to the ground. Have another look at the vid I posted and get a feel for when the light comes on and how much longer the pump runs after the gear has fully retracted.

The only other thing that could affect you is that freezing cold winter you are having (you should move down here), the viscosity of the oil (even sewing machine oil) would be about 4 times higher for you than on a 20 C day here in poor old Aus. Again use the overload trim pot to cover the extra time needed, I don't believe you will burn your controller out (I have not AS YET).

As Rob eluded to, how was your landings? do you feel the gear is solid enough??
Old 01-22-2011, 07:28 AM
F15driver

Bart,

I,m ready to move down there also. The temperature this morning was 29 degrees F.

Bart, how is your Mig flying? Have you moved the CG from the front wing spar?

Rob
Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 AM
F15driver

Ian, Edgar,

PM's sent today re. valves and connectors.

Regards,
Rob
Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 AM
i3dm

i ordered the valves from the local Festo distributor. should have them in 1-2 weeks.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Aussie Bart

ORIGINAL: F15driver

Bart,

I,m ready to move down there also. The temperature this morning was 29 degrees F.

Bart, how is your Mig flying? Have you moved the CG from the front wing spar?

Rob
Rob, plenty of room down here, just need your flippers at the moment.

Mig flys great, just as easy as my Vampire. I ended up making a bigger pipe as I reckon the original is just a tad small for the P160. I saw an SM Mig (same size and same motor) at a meeting that was nearly 2 kgs heavier but seemed to get along faster than mine. I tested the staic thrust with the original pipe and it was 12.8 kgs. The new pipe is 10 mm bigger in the legs and outlet and about 15 bigger in the bifrucation/inducer. It certainly seems to get up and boogey but I have not measured the static again as yet.

I followed John's lead on the cg and moved it back to the centre of the spar. It certainly turns much better now especially when you pull it hard and the landings are still a dream, this plane would make Stevie Wonder look good.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:09 PM
johnls

Hi Guys, I've been working away for a couple of days. Having had time to think about the flight when the mains retract they move forward against the air flow and also turn to produce even more drag. The only thing I can do is to turn the controller up and give it another go. As far as the questions regarding the flying characteristics, I have now moved the CG back to the rear of the first wooden top brace. It fly's and lands superb. It's very easy to fly and landing looks very good with a high nose attitude. I use a lot of aileron expo (65%) as I found it was a bit twitchy in roll. I can fly it at slow high angle of attack and then open the engine and climb away vertical.
I'll see if I can find someone to video next attempt.

John
Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 PM
ianober

Here are some photos of my install so far:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pn36056.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1552143   Click image for larger version

Name:	mh19969.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	1552144   Click image for larger version

Name:	pv52919.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1552145   Click image for larger version

Name:	jc85853.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	1552146   Click image for larger version

Name:	my25133.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	1552147   Click image for larger version

Name:	ct17784.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	1552148   Click image for larger version

Name:	rt31673.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	1552149   Click image for larger version

Name:	om44123.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1552150  

Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Aussie Bart

Nice job....I started to get jealous as to how you were able to find that much room for the parts! And then I realized it was the SU27!!
Can’t wait to see the rest of it. Did you have any trouble getting the valve to operate??
Old 01-23-2011, 11:26 PM
ianober

It moves ok Bart, a little stiff but the thin wing digital servo doesn't have a problem moving it so far. Yeah, even with that room I am still going to be looking for spaces to hide things. The real challenge is making everything accessible for maintenance later on if necessary. Hopefully it all works out but so far so good.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:42 AM
i3dm

ianober, does the SU27 use the same gear mechnism (internal cylinder locks) as the MIG-29 ?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:12 AM
F15driver

Ian,

Good looking install. Keep em' coming!

Rob
Old 01-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried the new modified air operated gear as supplied by Jet legend? If so is it working better than the previous offering. Just wondering whether to give it a try, before going down the hydraulic route, which also sounds a bit of a pain.
Hopefully my Mig 29 is being shipped this week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.