Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:04 PM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buz914
Question.

Is it best to mount the servos solid to the mount or should I use the rubber grommets and little metal insert to cushion the servos? My first build, don't laugh!

Jamie
Jamie... Use the grommets and inserts.

Larry Roper
Boomerang-rc-jets.com
Old 09-03-2015, 04:55 PM
buz914

Will do.

Thanks!

Jamie
Old 09-15-2015, 11:59 AM
buz914

Anyone know the thread pitch for the wing bolts and the horizontal stab bolts?

My manual shows a 4mmx20mm for the horizontal and a 3mmx10mm for the wing. But does not show the pitch.
Anyone know where I can get some of these?
Old 09-15-2015, 04:16 PM
buz914

Found them at Home Depot.

For reference:

4mm is .7 pitch
3mm is .5 pitch
Old 09-16-2015, 06:43 AM
Justin_vb

Originally Posted by buz914
Anyone know the thread pitch for the wing bolts and the horizontal stab bolts?

My manual shows a 4mmx20mm for the horizontal and a 3mmx10mm for the wing. But does not show the pitch.
Anyone know where I can get some of these?
They are M4 bolts
Old 09-16-2015, 02:35 PM
buz914

The older kits (5 yr old) had 3mm for the wings. I wonder if I should tap it out for 4mm. Must have been done for a reason.
Anyone have info on this.

Jamie
Old 11-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Indydrt
My Feedback: (7)

Default 2015 elan

Full electric brakes, and retracts, by Dreamworks Rc prolink ,
abs type pulse brakes,adjustable via xicoy data terminal ,can't wait to try . Jet cat 90 rx jr 8711 servo on all surfaces except nose steering . Smoke by Sullivan , Kevlar split tanks, for fuel and smoke oil , no Ferrari decals, although Larry would have supplied them ,, he's great but I choose to do some graphics , tons of room by not having the air tanks, but you do have to run Accra battery but small ,
the charger on board is AR. booma Rc sells them , dream works is a dealer ,, it chargers two a123 2300 mah under fuel tank, and also 1-lion 2800 mah for smoke pump and the prolink Gear brakes etc .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	879.3 KB
ID:	2132837   Click image for larger version

Views:	2621
Size:	855.2 KB
ID:	2132841   Click image for larger version

Views:	2473
Size:	835.4 KB
ID:	2132842   Click image for larger version

Views:	2391
Size:	1,013.1 KB
ID:	2132843  

Last edited by Indydrt; 11-27-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:42 PM
doctor jason

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi.I tapped my plate to 4mm some time ago after the 3mm started becoming loose and is much better.

Jason
Old 11-28-2015, 05:51 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about the latest Elan, but my old one had open holes for the wing retaining bolts and inevitably I dropped one into the wing, annoying rattle for ever more, eventually I glued a couple of tubes into the wing to stop it happening again, just thought I would mention it.

Mike
Old 11-28-2015, 06:20 AM
gooseF22

Nice Jet Indy.. looking great.. love the paint!.. good luck with it.. love the jet.

I would recommend that you remove the festo fittings on the suction line into your fuel pump.. many guys have good success with them, but I did not.. My first élan quit because of a festo on the line into the fuel pump. it sucked a bubble..

Instead this is what I use
option 1: run a small piece of 4mm line off the pump about half inch, and then run the 6mm line over it and safety wire at the pump barb
option 2: run a barbed reducer from 6mm to 4mm.

Also I would remove the 6mm coupler on the main feed line. Instead put about 6 inches of 6mm line there and loop it around, with a hair dryer, and safety wire it to the trap.. I know you put that there so you can get the tank out, but if you leave a little longer line, you can lift it out and set it to the side.. spoken from experience brother!. Try to avoid festo fittings for suction.. some designs can't avoid it but in most cases it can be done..

Awesome jet

Last edited by gooseF22; 11-28-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Indydrt

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Nice Jet Indy.. looking great.. love the paint!.. good luck with it.. love the jet.

I would recommend that you remove the festo fittings on the suction line into your fuel pump.. many guys have good success with them, but I did not.. My first élan quit because of a festo on the line into the fuel pump. it sucked a bubble..

Instead this is what I use
option 1: run a small piece of 4mm line off the pump about half inch, and then run the 6mm line over it and safety wire at the pump barb
option 2: run a barbed reducer from 6mm to 4mm.

Also I would remove the 6mm coupler on the main feed line. Instead put about 6 inches of 6mm line there and loop it around, with a hair dryer, and safety wire it to the trap.. I know you put that there so you can get the tank out, but if you leave a little longer line, you can lift it out and set it to the side.. spoken from experience brother!. Try to avoid festo fittings for suction.. some designs can't avoid it but in most cases it can be done..

Awesome jet
kool goose. I hear ha man,, I remove the FESTOS fittings as much as I can before I fly it . Just easier while IAM building and fitting and removing it ten times or more,, I do have the reducer 4mm to 6 mm inline there. .. I will just use s longer line ,, but I have decided to put it on the market ,, it's not my first elan ,, but it's the first one I built , I love them, but I also got a comparf classic flash ,,, it's rocks!! Plus I'm thinking ,, HAWK,, for a scale plane now.. So who knows I just put it on Rc groups , along with a grey frame I also have but needs some work to complete . So if I don't get a serious buyer within a week, I might just go and maiden the new red Elan. And keep it as my go to flyer ,, there's another field I want to fly at that has a shorter runway so might be great for that field. Thanks for all your advise ,, taken well . And much appreciated . Hope u had a great thanks giving . Don
Old 11-29-2015, 06:56 AM
gooseF22

Cool
I had a bunch of jets too.. came back to the élan and kingcat.. they are still my favorite planes.. I kept my Ultra Flash as a backup.. got rid of everything else recently.. I just love the way it flies and how easy it is to fly.. I find myself flying a lot more with it.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Indydrt

Well i did the maiden today went real nice,, just few clicks of up elev. to be expected since i did not add the shims in the rear of the stab yet.. i actually had a 4.5 mm alum shim but took it out. i figured i rather just fly the way it is,,and see how much shim it would take to make cleaner flyer,, so i think its aprox 2-3 mm so i will sand the ones i have down and hysol them under the stab on the booms. other than that ,, flew like a élan always does,, one click of aileron cause was windy out of the ne site is east west . so . cross wind we had blowing 15 mph easily . the smoke pump worked nice with dense smoke,, i have twin tubes. on it. that was fun. Electric gear worked great but the electric brakes worked to good flat spotted a tire when i was using the pulse abs for braking,, guess i have to dial out some gain or less pulse or more pulse not sure yet . i have a classic flash love it just got it from a friend . i have 16 flights on that puppy its awesome!!

Last edited by Indydrt; 11-29-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys I'm in need of a horizontal stab and booms. Any unfortunate soul have parts left over?

Pls PM me.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2016, 08:15 PM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Been flying mine for a month with a P80 jc . Flys great
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 019.jpg
Views:	2232
Size:	997.4 KB
ID:	2192628  
Old 01-24-2018, 12:12 PM
CRye
My Feedback: (15)

I am considering buying a Boomerang. My local field is grass, and well cared for even irrigation so, one big issue I have is grass scorching. My first jet was an R 54 and would leave "skunk" trails on the grass.
What has been your experience with this issue?
I noticed some builders may down thrust the turbine to avoid horz stab heat. Can this be overcome with shielding and how? I also noticed shimming the horz. Is this to overcome down thrust on the turbine?
And even if I need a new stab every X hours may be manageable.
I have enough parts on the shelf to build, JM90 gas, electric gear and brakes etc, except fuel tank.
Any input would be appreciated.
Charles
Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 PM
NC Jetguy

Default Boomerang Elan and grass burne

Rge Elan is not particularly hard on grass compared with some other plane. Nothing like the Jetcat, Bobcat or any similar planes. There will probably be some scorching, particularly if you do static run ups on the grass but I would certainly not alter the engine mounting to try and improve this. The result on performance would be substantial. Do other pilots fly turbines at your field? If so, the Elan won't be any worse on the grass. In any case, most scorching is gone in a few days. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:32 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Elan never scorched the grass with either the P80 or 120 set on the standard out of the box mountings, the tailplane was not shimmed and it flew straight and level at full power, I would not worry, on take off hold the Elan on the brakes and apply full power when it starts to move release the brakes it will take off in a very short distance without leaving any marks.

Mike
Old 01-24-2018, 01:48 PM
CRye

NC,
Thank you for your reply. I have a static run tube made of double wall furnace pipe with a 90 degree upturn exit. I built it for the R54 as needed to keep from burning the tail during static run. Glad I made it adjustable height.

It varies from about 2-4 jet guys in this area but I have only seen piped jets so no scorch issues for them. I have not been jet active in several years but kept most of my equipment. I sold my P60 a long time ago and thought about putting a K45 etc back on the R54 but the scorch issue deterred me.

The Boom is to get me back into jet flying. I spent a year rebuilding a large scale Aurora I bought but JM200 and 54Lb plane is a little intimidating to start back on especially $$$ to replace.
Going to order a Boomer. FYI Roger said he is still in business and expecting another container of planes soon. Currently has a few red and white military and sport on hand.
Cheers
Charles
Old 01-24-2018, 05:49 PM
tagman1

I see he has the Elan on sale, jump on it!
Old 01-27-2018, 03:48 PM
CRye

Ordered!! Larry is still in business
Old 02-03-2018, 02:50 PM
CRye

Tank delivered, kit slated to deliver Monday.
I did try scrubbing the thread some but I still have some questons:
what power servo do you use, I saw one using DS821 on ailerons 4/6v 72/88 oz torque. I did not find a recommended servo in the manual.
Anyone who used kit servo attach hwd, any problems? I did see some suggest upgrade LG attach screws
Hwd in general
Thank you
Charles
Old 02-04-2018, 11:35 AM
tagman1

I talked to Larry for the servo he recommends and he said all they use is the Hitec 5645mg, they never had a problem with them, so that's what I used, finished mine about 3 weeks ago
waiting for weather to break to put maiden on, servo's seem to work fine, high tork at 6.6 v. Ordered from a place in N.J. they where around 34.00 each no tax and free shipping.

Good Luck.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:26 PM
CRye

Tag, Thank you for the shout back.
The BOOMER has landed!!! Just like Christmas.
Down side freight company speared the box but "only" crushed the cockpit floor. Horz looks OK but first order of business is to open the servo bays and check rear hinge spar.
First hurtle, the spar tube does not pass into the center section. Should I just work the outer ends ID of the fuselage tube with sand paper on a dowel for close fit and no bell mouth? Fits the wing snug like it should.
AS da mun say "dant worry, be happy"
C
First new plane for me in a long time. May even add protective wrap to big areas to keep construction scuffing off finish. But its just a sport knock around flyer.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 PM
tagman1

I could not get the wing tube thru the fuse at all, finally cut out all the tubing that was running thru the fuse, and it turns out the open from one side of the fuse to the other is about 1/6" or more off. Sanded out the fuse a little bit and got it thru, but it is never coming out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.