RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   DerJet DH Vampire build thread- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10280695-derjet-dh-vampire-build-thread.html)

Dave Wilshere 01-22-2011 01:32 PM

DerJet DH Vampire build thread-

1 Attachment(s)
I've cleared the decks so its time to start my Vampire build, the thread started by Chrigui and added to by Fougamagister will probably run along side this thread as Fouga's stuff seems to be more about the detail he is adding to an already excellent model.
This will be about building pretty much as is..though I already changed a couple of minor things, using mainly the kit items.

I decided to start with the tailplane and having originally thought the JR 8411 servo was going to be as wide as would fit, I found the JR8711 fits fine and even though it means more weight down the back end, with a single servo I decided to go with the 8711..especially as I found a spare one in it's box during my workshop tidy!
The first thing I found was that the aluminium angle mounting holes into the plywood plates have two holes very close to the edge of the plate. I've added a 3mm strip of ply to that end. I also found the servo arm position (both 8411 and 8711) was slightly too far across to go in the factory cut slot. All that is needed is a small amount triming to allow the servo base to move nearer the hatch edge. No other trimming is needed.
I used a JR super servo arm as I will use clevis connections at both ends, the hinge line is at 90 degrees and I prefer the inline link rather than the nice ball ends supplied.

Dw

The factory already responded saying they would widen the wood mount on the next kits...

Dave Wilshere 01-22-2011 04:05 PM

RE: DerJet DH Vampire build thread-

1 Attachment(s)
RCU is doing my head in tonight with posting!
Anyway the elevator is hollow and I guess all the surfaces will be the same (no blocks) as the horns are made with full depth insertion. I have cut down the elevator horn to reduce the visual aspect, the horns are all quite large with huge surface area. The horn glues to the balsa front spar in the elevator.

Dw

chrigui 01-23-2011 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i start the building yesterday

i decide to fit n.2 linkage in the stab
i fit JR es-381 metal geared in the tail (over 4,5 kg)

the wood servo support in the wings is too little respect the support
of the Dave Wings and is not possible to fit original screw

bigplumbs 01-23-2011 02:15 AM

ORIGINAL: chrigui

i start the building yesterday

i decide to fit n.2 linkage in the stab
i fit JR es-381 metal geared in the tail (over 4,5 kg)

the wood servo support in the wings is too little respect the support
in the Dave Wings and is not possible to fit original screw

Given the cost of this kit and the fact that it is from a good manufacturer I would not have thought you would have had problems/production defects like this.

Dave Wilshere 01-23-2011 03:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Before fixing the horn I had a change of mind and decided that with the elevator top hinged the horn did not need to be as high from the lower surface, this would mean a big servo travel and longer slot/arm. So I'm using the cut down horn on the rudder and have modified the elevator horn like this.
Dw

Dave Wilshere 01-23-2011 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some glue has set while I have been out and the rudder servos mounted on the covers. Note the curve moulded into the cover!

Dave Wilshere 01-23-2011 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Servo in.

While the Aeropoxy was out I decided to fit MAP tank rings to the main tanks to support an ali fuel bung set-up

Dw

jeanfi 01-23-2011 11:51 AM

Hello Dave,

I had the same idea for the tanks. Where do you find these rings please ?

Thank you
Jean-Philippe:D

Dave Wilshere 01-23-2011 12:35 PM

JP

We have them in stock, or MAP in Canada, Dreamworks in USA
You can order through our web shop.

Dave

Dave Wilshere 01-23-2011 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tank bung and clunk/vent pipe set up finished

chrigui 01-23-2011 11:06 PM

Hi Dave

where i find K&S tool for tube?

Dave Wilshere 01-23-2011 11:40 PM

Any KS dealer should have, we have in England if you cannot find,

chrigui 01-23-2011 11:43 PM

ok..i try to find in italy.. ;)

chrigui 01-24-2011 11:05 PM

anyone can post the photo about speed brakes linkage???

many thx;););)

Dave Wilshere 01-24-2011 11:43 PM

Only just started looking at the wings, but Fouga is your man, he's done it. The linkage goes through the AB seat-the smallest horns provided are the ones to use.

Dave

chrigui 01-25-2011 12:00 AM

i need to see the right position about horn...
i see that the Luciano airbrake is milled..in the horn position

Dave Wilshere 01-25-2011 01:20 AM

I will look tonight, I was out programming a friends new jet last night so no progress on my Vampire[:o]

dw

chrigui 01-25-2011 01:28 AM

ok...many thx

Dave Wilshere 01-25-2011 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, not been home long, have a quick look and it looks like this will work! Hopefully these will help. You will need a slot cutting in the shut where I have drilled just a hole.

Dave

chrigui 01-25-2011 01:24 PM

ok....very helpful photo.. :-)
i need to mill the internal side of airbrake

Dave Wilshere 01-25-2011 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I drilled a few holes then slot with a Permagrit 6mm file.

Working on rudders, glued in Robart hinge points. The supplied horns are large, so I cut them down to reduce size. Nothing wrong with them as supplied, just a personal thought.
Longest job is threading extension lead!

bobg 01-25-2011 03:16 PM

I see the use quicklinks rather than ball links .I know quicklinks are more direct and in line ,but I always worry about them failing as they are always joined along the threaded part ,
good build thread ,Dave !!    Gonna need one of these!!!!

Dave Wilshere 01-25-2011 03:53 PM

RCU!!!
I always use clevis connections when I don't have twin horns. I don't like them on the servo end, servo spline and output support are not good with the twisting load. I like JR Super Servo arms, never let me down.
In 40 years building I have never had a metal clevis fail and I have used them on 150cc aerobatic models. I do tend to use Graupner sourced clevis now (3mm and as rudder here 2.5mm) They seem better quality than most.
The Vampire has 90 degree servo lines on just about everything, so Clevis all the way!
It's good to be building my second jet of the year, last year I was "slow" with only 4 all year! I have a list already, so need to crack on

Dw

chrigui 01-26-2011 06:31 AM

many thx dave ;)

Dave Wilshere 01-26-2011 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
couldnt post last night:eek:
Tanks have been finished a couple of days, pressurised slightly and left. Last night I sink plunged them and no leaks[8D]

Rudder horns glued in. The rudders did have wooden blocks, so slots cut, taped around, flooded with aeropoxy and once the horn is inserted a single wipe with a cotton bud removes the excess.

Dw