RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Nitro models pusher Bobcat? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/4588799-nitro-models-pusher-bobcat.html)

H.Dale 03-12-2007 06:35 PM

RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

MMallory

I converted a Bobcat to a 7 lb. Wren 44 turbine about three months ago without retracts. It's not any faster than one with a good .60 on it. I would say it is around 90mph to 100 maybe. In fact I was a little disappointed with the lack of speed. If you stay with this size engine I don't think you will have any problem.

Hal

hapyjac2 03-12-2007 08:45 PM

Hal,

What was your weight dry?
I'm at 10 lbs 5 oz., The Simjet I'm using is rated at 8 lbs thrust.
I figure speed should be about 100 to 110 mph. hich is fine, John Wright powered his with a Wren Gold which is 10 lbs thrust, he put it at about 150 mph.
I really wouldn't want it to go that fast.
Get small real quick.

Jack

Woody410 03-12-2007 09:16 PM

Hi guys, I installed a YS 45 FS with a macs tuned pipe system on mine and it flys like a ( well you know what ). I am tickled with the speed and handling of this plane. I am interested in putting in retracts though. We fly off grass and the landing gear that comes with it is a little weak. The plane is built really well and flies like a jet. Take offs are beautiful and landings are not to bad either. I just add a little elevator down when it settles in and it tracks straight and true. My friend and I bought one immediately when they came out and it is money very well spent. Great Model.

Woody;)

Stick Jammer 03-12-2007 09:51 PM

ROB J.
Maybe a little late for you to try but I glued a 27" length of nylon tube into the front section of one wing and threaded the stock antenna wire into the tube. There is an oval shaped hole in the ribs close to the leading edge that runs all the way down the wing. It's pretty easy to thread the tube into this area and secure the end to the inside of the root rib with a small piece of light ply leaving a short stub to protrude into the fuse when the wing is attached. The 27" length of tube is more than enough with the receiver just behind the nose gear mount. If you have another Rx with the stock antenna wire maybe give it a try and see if the problems go away.

dragraces 03-13-2007 05:51 AM

I need a canopy also DONT ASK WHY !!

Thx
Jason

thebluemax 03-13-2007 08:38 PM

Jason,
Nitro models shows as an exhibitor at the Weak Signals Toledo Expo next month. Do not know where you are in Ohio in relation to Toledo but at least you can talk to them in person if you go to the show.

livinma1 03-13-2007 08:55 PM

Hey All -

Can someone point me to the thread that possbily has a video of this bird flying. One of my buddies is building one and he wants to see one fly.

Thanks

I would do a search but I am trying to figure out how to do a search within this thread.

ROB J. 03-13-2007 09:22 PM

stick jammer,

thanks for the advise. I am going to put full size antenna through wing.
there is just something about cutting receiver antenna that I just didnt like but did it
anyway. last time for that!

rob

Wayne22 03-13-2007 09:30 PM

Hey All -

Can someone point me to the thread that possbily has a video of this bird flying. One of my buddies is building one and he wants to see one fly.

Thanks

I would do a search but I am trying to figure out how to do a search within this thread.

(in reply to thebluemax)
There are at least 3 or 4 videos in this thread..you just have to scroll through and look for links.......The last one was fairly recent....

ROB J. 03-14-2007 05:14 PM

here is a video for you. if the link does not work, go to page 27, half way down page. look for arg413 bobcat with tower .75
hope this helps

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....0e5a00c1e221eb

ROB J. 03-14-2007 09:04 PM

livinma1,

found another bobcat video, turbine version.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1010910

CrashPro 03-18-2007 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Serge and I were both flying our Bobcats today, when Serge shortened his wing with my prop....heres the aftermath..

http://home.dc.rr.com/maurie/BobMid.wmv

Wayne22 03-18-2007 07:22 PM

Okay we know what the beginning is......

We know what the end was...............

What happened in between ???? [X(]

CrashPro 03-18-2007 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Okay we know what the beginning is......

We know what the end was...............

What happened in between ???? [X(]

Well,...we were both coming off steep diving turns to buzz the runway,...we heard the impact,...saw a part of Serges' wing come off.......he actually flew the length of the runway,...turned around...was heading back to line up with the runway to land, plane was flying fine,...and then he lost control, and in it went. I landed without incident,..grabbed my camera, and the rest is in the video.

Rodman63 03-19-2007 12:15 PM

I want to thank all those who posted their suggestion and modification on this thread it has helped me a lot.
I fly mostly aerobatic and 3D planes, and I was looking for something different when I found the bobcat at a trade show.
I did most of the modification I found on this thread, strenghtin the tail boom mounts, putting the elevator servo in the horizontal stab,
Made the wings removable, I didnt do the gear blocks untill I ripped them out on the secound flight oh well.
Setup:
Futaba9c tx / 7channel rx
S9252 ailerons - s3004 on the throttle & nose wheel -hs225 in the rudders - hs125 on the elevator
OS 46 AX w/10x8apc taching12,500 I had a new one I wasnt using.

First flight: airplane rotated hard and fast, as reported on this thread, a couple clicks of trim and it was flying straight.
the plane is verry fast and roll rate on high was crazy, I wish I had split the ailerons for flaps.
The OS 46 AX pulls the airplane nicely, I think that down the road I may put a jett 60 or 90 on it.

Landings: For me this was a new world I had not landed a jet style airplane before and it took a lot of passes to put it down.
The first flgiht was done on a cold day and there was still alot of ice on the ground I shouldnt have flown it but the bug had bitten me.
Here is the video of my bobcats first flight try not to laugh at me to much LoL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj5bwZk9yRY

PointMagu 03-19-2007 07:15 PM

Rodman,

Excellent video! Your camera crew did a fantastic job tracking and keeping a lead on the Bobcat. The motion was smooth and even.

Oh, your flying was good, too...LOL

I especially liked the way you came in nose high, touched down and then let the nose drop...excellent method of dropping airspeed.

She looks like she was hot on your first landing approaches...something for me to keep in mind for when I maiden my own.

You did a wonderful job flying the plane. Your axial rolls were quick but controlled. KUDOS

If you take any more video, be sure to post it, please?

Once again...congrats!
PM

Rodman63 03-19-2007 08:17 PM

Thanks Pointmagu
I am glad you like the video, It was shot by a women in our club cindy toth, aka fireflynj
she is great supporter of the club and the hobby. I did the video editing.

It took me while to land the bobcat it likes the nose high on landing something I am not used to doing.
once I get a handle on it I think it will be a great plane for breaking into the jet style airplanes.
Thanks again.

Wayne22 03-19-2007 08:23 PM

Nice video!! first one with a 46 pushing it, I believe... It seems to move out pretty good! .and those rolls !!!!!!!! WOW !!

I especially like the appropriate use of mother natures brakes :D:D

It'll be a couple more months before I will be able to fly mine.,,our field is closed due to snow!

CrashPro 03-19-2007 09:05 PM

Heres another video......of Serges' Bobcat before it bit the big one.
http://media.putfile.com/bobcat-37

P 51 MAN 03-19-2007 11:16 PM

Serge,
Sorry to see the damage ! I have been following this thread for a while and waiting for more info on the falcon 120 from nitro - (???) but i am starting to want one of the 50 size bobcats and was wondering what size and brand, motor and prop you had on your bobcat ?
Thanks in advance for the information,
Michael

CrashPro 03-20-2007 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: P 51 MAN

Serge,
Sorry to see the damage ! I have been following this thread for a while and waiting for more info on the falcon 120 from nitro - (???) but i am starting to want one of the 50 size bobcats and was wondering what size and brand, motor and prop you had on your bobcat ?
Thanks in advance for the information,
Michael

It had an O.S. 61 with a 11X7 APC on it in the video. When it crashed, it had an O.S. 91 on it, with 13X8 Zinger.
Serge and I both experimented with different engines and props. I started with a Tower .75 on mine with a 11X7
APC, and then went on to a Magnum .91, currently have 14X6 APC cut down to 13" on my Bobcat. Best I was able to get was 110 mph
with the .75. Not getting quite that speed with the .91. Waiting on 11X8 Graupner props to show up. If I don't get more speed then, I'm going back to the .75.

countryshooter 03-20-2007 07:58 AM

hey Pro,
I put a os 91 in mine with 14x7-3 prop and trimmed it down and it flew good, but it was real loud. I ran it on my test bed and my ears are still ringing. I know if I fly it on a weekend some one is going to complain on the noise. Have you tried 16x10 3 prop? I'm doing that next to see if that will cut down on the noise. wont flex the blade as much. right now I have 1/2" clearence from the blade tip to wing and sometimes it clips the wing. next time I fly it will test the speed.

CrashPro 03-20-2007 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: countryshooter

hey Pro,
I put a os 91 in mine with 14x7-3 prop and trimmed it down and it flew good, but it was real loud. I ran it on my test bed and my ears are still ringing. I know if I fly it on a weekend some one is going to complain on the noise. Have you tried 16x10 3 prop? I'm doing that next to see if that will cut down on the noise. wont flex the blade as much. right now I have 1/2" clearence from the blade tip to wing and sometimes it clips the wing. next time I fly it will test the speed.
Hiya countryshooter. Yes...we tried 14X7 three blade props, and you're right,..they make alot of noise, but the best we got out of them was 82 mph on the radar gun. Next we tried the 16X10 props. [:'(] All they did was bog the engine down. I kept cutting it down shorter, still couldn't get any rpm's or speed out of it. Sure,...in a steep dive it was fast when the engine wound out,..but on the straight and level, slowed to about 60 mph.

bassman 03-20-2007 11:45 AM

The best combination I have been able to put together is .75 2 stroke with a 10/6 prop. Sounds crazy putting a 10/6 on a 75 but it really made a big difference. I tired an 11/7 three blade a 10/7 three blade a 12/6 , 11/7, 10/7 and the 10/6 2 blades. The 10 /6 was by far the best for speed! Oh ya I tried a 91 4 stroke a 91 2 stroke and the .75 2 stroke with the .75 working out the best. I'm thinking that the new OS 55 might just be the perfect engine for the bobcat!

Bassman

Stick Jammer 03-20-2007 06:37 PM

Rodman63,
Nice job on the maiden and the video, the landing was just the way it's supposed to be with this type of plane :D. Where's the CG on your plane and what were your control throws?