Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

air filter oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 07:24 PM
clasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter oil

is it ok to use transmission oil as an air filter oil?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:01 PM
clasher

Default RE: air filter oil

anyone???[]
Old 08-08-2004, 10:13 PM
ThermalRD

You mean like full size automotive trans fluid? I really cant say, i've never used it for that purpose. I cant see how it would hurt anything, but wouldnt bother trying it. The real air filter oil is pretty cheap.

Matt
Old 08-08-2004, 10:56 PM
fhm101

You need something sticky enough to cling to the filter element. I would think ATF would run off over time. Save yourself the trouble and potential blown engine from dirt ingestion and just get a bottle of Belray foam filter oil from your local dirt bike shop. A single bottle will last a lifetime if you only have one car.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:31 PM
camra88

Do you need to use air filter oil? My friend never uses it, and sometimes i wonder...

JP
Old 08-08-2004, 11:45 PM
creyc

Yes you need it unless you want to be replacing engines left and right.

The filter alone only traps the larger particles behind. Pieces of sand, bits of gravel, stone chunks all get caught in the foam filter. However smaller fragments of sand and dust particles can get through if there's no oil. These particles can easily damage an engine, causing scoring throughout and thus premature carb, crank, piston and sleeve repair and or replacement.

You need to use oil in your air filter. If you've felt oil on your hands before you know it can be sticky, an extreme example is grease. Particles of dirt and dust get trapped in the sticky oil, thus sacrificing a coating of oil for an expensive engine. Depending on conditions it's important to completely wash and re-oil your air filter as well every 5-6 tanks of fuel. Again if it's very dusty be sure to clean more often.