RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

ever built your own track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 04:36 PM
bauerbach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ever built your own track?

am I nuts?

I tried it once before when I was about 13. middle of the georgia summer, with some cedar planks and a shovel. it didnt work out so well.

so now Im rethinking it because Im dieing from driving around the driveway and the lawn is too bumpy/tall to even set up a decent ramp and keep the truck straight under acceleration.

so next to my house is about an acre of flood plain. no, it has never flooded in the past 13 years. theres a lake in the back yard, and thats the lowest area around the lake; so... I donno. cant be built, and its owned by me but no fixed structure can ever be erected on it.

so I was thinking of tryint to clear out a nice 100x100' area and doing up a little track. lay down some black drainage pipe and orient the track around the trees hopefully. probably pad the base of the trees just for peice of mind.

so do you think it can be done with a shovel or am I looking at a small earth mover/bobcat type thing?

how wide should the track be? is there a generally accepted width? guess I could go measure the local track next time Im there, but you guys are so much easier to ask .

and lastly, any good track layouts that are commonly used for consistancy? or is it more of a golf course, whatever the designer wants kinda thing?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:15 PM
NitroSport22

Default RE: ever built your own track?

do watever u want...i made my own track....well not realy a trac....ill get u some pics...

yeah well just a shovel and some loyal/helpful friends
Old 04-11-2006, 07:21 PM
RCtruckRacer

For an 1/8 scale track, you will want something like 120' x 70'. Although a square track could be cool too. Definately go with bobcat or similar. You can get done in one day, what it would take you weeks without it. Trust me I know. I am building a 45'x24' off road 1/18 scale track in my backyard. My back wishes a bobcat would fit through the gate. [:@]
Old 04-11-2006, 07:31 PM
bauerbach

yeah, Im thinking a bobcat is needed. worst part is its heavily wooded, and untouched for 13 years. so its got many inches of compost leaves on it; and a nice little growth of smaller underbrush that would need to be removed. maybe one of those walk behind movers would work good.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Timmahh
Banned

a quad runner and an old metal bedspring can get some great results... a bobcat would be great but not always the easiest to set up. drag out a possibly trakc, use it a bit, to get the basic set up, lay down your draintile Edge and keep working it until you get something you like, then double the size, open a track and charge 20 bux for 4 hrs of use...
Tim
Old 04-13-2006, 08:55 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish my land lord would let me build a track on some of the 10 achers i've got at my house. but i'm affraid to ask.......he keeps it all mowed and nice looking. i don't think he would let me even if i did ask
Old 04-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Timmahh
Banned

no foul in asking, worse he can say is no.. if you find the most ratty part of the area, he MAY let you do something there, but good luck. most lls are tight.
Tim
Old 04-13-2006, 10:56 AM
RCtruckRacer

One option would be to build a fast track: get a bunch of bright colored, cheap garden hose, some small orange cones, and build a few jumps/table tops etc. 1 x 1's could work as a rhythm section, just nail them in the ground. Use your imagination. You can build a decent size track with little effort, and it won't cost an arm and a leg. Also, it can be stored away easily and the LL may never even know about it! Grass is not the best surface, but you certainly have the room!

PS, Step stools will work as an alternative to a drivers stand. Just a thought. I know that's what I would do in your position!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:46 AM
bauerbach

pffft, a nice dirt surface is just a bottle of knockout away. thatll kill anything and everything, and keep it from being growable for sometime.

and when the land lord asks, deny deny deny.

this track will probably be just for me.

Idont think the neighboors would appreciate weekend races