Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

There's not one monster truck that's done right!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

There's not one monster truck that's done right!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:22 AM
Henry William French

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's not one monster truck that's done right!!

They ALL have 2 speed trannys and NO center diff!! 2 speeds don't work offroad unless it's a dirt parkinglot. They want to shift at the wrong time climbing a hill regardless of how you adjust the shift point ect ect...
Old 04-14-2006, 02:16 AM
Dil

Default RE: There's not one monster truck that's done right!!

maybe you should try some off thoose rock crawlers!! if u want to crawl!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Oh no...The Cen MT's Nemesis and Genesis both have center diffs. The Gen comes with a 3 speed and reverse w/10 pb shocks while the Nem comes with a 2 speed no reverse and standard 8 pb shocks. While most seem alike in ways there lies a reason for this. Most people/customers will likely never race their MT and just bash/play around with them. Most like speed in their trucks thus is the reason the companies post it on their boxes "44+MPH" but yes your right in saying that there are not many differences in them, they all are not alike. Some race better out of the box, some have different suspension geometry's, some have Low/High gears for climbing, and some don't have center diff's. Too some are only geared to be the backyard bashers truck. But if climbing is what you want many manufacturers offer forward only single speed conversions for their trucks thus eliminating the 2speed tranny and some have external 2 speed trannies and are easily converted to one speed by just removing the 2nd gear on the spur and going with a single clutchbell. Other than that you do have to either get creative or get a crawler, then the problem may be that it's too slow or not fast enough. Hope you find a happy medium though.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:19 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

While the Revo doesn't come stock with one, Traxxas has a center diff option for their trucks.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:43 AM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

As for the shifting. On most trucks you can adjust it to were you what it to shift at.[8D]
Old 04-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Wide Open

ORIGINAL: love those warbirds

As for the shifting. On most trucks you can adjust it to were you what it to shift at.[8D]
exactly, when were up in california i climb tons of hills. i just set the shift point late because i rarely use second gear and ive got more torque in first.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:36 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Henry William French

They ALL have 2 speed trannys and NO center diff!! 2 speeds don't work offroad unless it's a dirt parkinglot. They want to shift at the wrong time climbing a hill regardless of how you adjust the shift point ect ect...
Mine has a 3 SPEED!
Old 04-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Henry William French

Optional 1 speed conversion huh? Hmmm....... intresting. There may be hope for me to get another truck in the future. Thanks alot Bash-m-up and RCaeroguy!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:25 PM
DaveG55

I pretty much agree with the title of your thread, just not your reasons. Your reasons seem to want to narrow the versitility of the truck.
My reasons are more to do with the fact that nearly every single Monster truck has some inherent problem - right out of the box. A couple examples: Savage X - tends to eat spur gears, LST - several different engine faults and weak A-arms, Revo - fuel tank seal fails and the poor Warhead - Lord it's got a long list!!!. Nearly every truck has something similar. I cannot count the times I see a truck reccomended to someone with a comment like "Once you change the shocks and A-arms you've got a great truck".
For Pete's Sake people, we've just spent $400 -$700 on a NEW truck, WHY should we have to FIX something to have a great truck?????
Sure, If you want to take a truck and do something it was not designed for, like race a Savage or bash a Revo, then I can see modding or upgrading but to have to correct stuff that the manufacturer should have already rectfied.....That just frustrates me.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:28 PM
psychorevo

One word: E Maxx.

Eh, I mean two words; or really one letter and a word;

Well, not even a word, just a type of truck by Traxxas.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:30 PM
bauerbach

well if the problems werent what you listed, I guarentee theyd be something else. with things this complicated, so small, so fast, and such stresses; somethings gonna give. you hear about the most common or the most expensive. of course out of the thousands sold of each, its really not that bad.

ever look at a real car forum? youd wonder how ANYONE manages to get to work!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:11 AM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

I find that my mt has more faults than my other rc's, i think it is just because they are so heavy, 12 pounds=hard on drivetrain, worse crashes, harder on shocks, and a-arms. I agree we should not have to "upgrade" our trucks, but these things have a ton of power, and a lot of wieght, I can understand that things can't be 100%
Old 04-15-2006, 01:57 AM
Henry William French

My ideal monster truck would have a 1 speed tranny, a center diff, 1 suitable shock at each wheel, no electric starter but have a pull start mabey, and have diffs/drivetrain beefy enough to easily hold up to it's stock engine or engine with 20% more power. Monster truck crowd seems to be into more features the better. I think monster trucks need the least features of all cause of their heavy weight. And yes, we shouldnt have to "upgrade" our trucks to make them right. When the hobbyshop guy says there's an upgrade for a machine, I think "oh that means pay more money to fix the defect/enginering flaw that the manufacturer made. tisk tisk...
Old 04-15-2006, 03:32 AM
TerraCrushing

adjust your tranny so that it wont shift
Old 04-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Chronic

HWF, it sounds like you want a truggy, not a monster truck.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:30 AM
bauerbach

maybe its just the term mountain truck thats throwing you. you want a specific thing from your truck, something most arent concerned with. so no, they arent building these trucks just to crawl rocks. not at all.

make no mistake, their built to race AND bash. and if you took away these trucks 2nd gear, well... theyd be slow as mollasses.

Ill keep the electric start, IMO their more durable and dependable. pull starts break, and need a very good tune to not have you yanking for 5 minutes; sure a very good tune shouldnt be a problem. but right around now it seems every other run it goes from 50 degrees to 90 degrees.

as for the parts breaking, its not like you replace 1 part and its bulletproof. everyone asks for the most common, so you hear about this or that. fix that part and theres gonna be a 2nd most common. if you can design a perfect truck, get on it, its not that easy. the LST2 was brought out as a fix to all the LST's problems. now the A-Arms arent a problem. but in the process the spindles are a bit weak. who knew!

you want a rock crawler. nitros not so great for that anyway though. thats why the 2 speed is not an issue. get an electric with 100% torque at 1RPM.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Henry William French

Don't want a rock crawler. Guess you guy don't get it.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:35 PM
ThermalRD

What trucks are you referring to? I have not had any 2 speed problems shifting at odd times. Of course you have to set them properly, which most are from the factory. Center diffs are typically in truggies, and available soon for the Revo. Though the Genesis, Nemesis line of trucks use them. I guess we all have our own opinions. I think damn near all of todays monster trucks are really good.

ORIGINAL: Henry William French

Old 04-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Bria1

I second that

ORIGINAL: Chronic

HWF, it sounds like you want a truggy, not a monster truck.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:20 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

why dont you design the truck you like and send it to a manufacturer. it isnt the companies fault...they have to make their cars please different people that will do different things....thats why there are hop-ups. and most of these problems are from user error. these trucks need normal maintenance...a blown spur gear in a savage is from user error. broken suspension arms are for when you HIT STUFF TOO HARD. when you blow a diff maybe you should stop and think, well gee maybe its because i dropped a big block engine in a small block truck? hmmmmmm. pull start and electric start is completely user preference and team associated did it the best with the pullstart/drill start. everyone else should do it but of course if they did they would be become 'copy cats' and w/e anyone else can think of. if you want a truck for a certain reason then buy one thats closest to that purpose and build it from there. thats what this hobby is about. its not supposed to be a lazy kind of gas and go, your supposed to make your cars your own. small broken stuff and making the truck the way you want is all part of this hobby. if you have problems working on stuff when it gives you trouble (or if it isnt exactly what you want) you need to find a new hobby.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:49 PM
bauerbach

well Im with you on the center diff, I get that. I dont know why they dont put them in. but... well, they dont. cept for an option for it now by traxxas. maybe thatll open the door.

but the whole 1 speed. these engines are VERY high RPM, and not all that much torque. a single gear simply wont do. there is no gearing possible to have enough up top and down low. if you want to lock it into low gear, that can be done without any aftermarket parts. just remove the gear, sure as heck wont shift then; itll have to settle for low gear. or just adjust the shift mechanism. but these arent jeep rock crawlers, and I cant imagine any other situations where shifting would be an issue. they shift quite seamlessly. the slipper typicly absorbs any surge there might be. so there are no issues as far as acceleration in loose dirt and it loosing control at the shift.

and its already well known, that if you upgrade 1 thing to aluminum or titanium, it typicly transfers the impact to something else that will then break. replace that and you find the next link. and so on. so I believe in many cases its a matter of them designing a weak point to give. Id rather know that if I run into a curb Ill need to replace the A arm. then trying to guess which part might break this time. or worse, just bend the frame. short of making the whole truck out of aluminum or titanium(and costing an arm and a leg) better to leave that up to you, or just let you replace the A arm for 2bucks every now and then.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:33 AM
chas010

with the center diff your truck will not wheelie easy if at all, in a race thats a good thing in your backyard thats up to you.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Henry William French

Not rock crawling, hill climbing. Soft ruffed up dirt, such as after a tractor rips it. 2 speeds aren't that great. 2 speeds give great off line punch and lots of top speed but lack in the mid. Mid is where it's needed most. dracy69 give me a break.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

Maybe look at electric, most are single speed, and they are fast off the line, and can have a decent top speed. And it would not be that hard to design your own truck, LOL
Old 04-16-2006, 07:37 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

electric trucks with plastic in the spokes so they sound nitro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.