Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for 1st Nitro Truck?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Recommendations for 1st Nitro Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:25 PM
R/C Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for 1st Nitro Truck?

My previous experience is with a Tamiya Hotshot and AE RC10 and I'm thinking about trying a gas powered truck (RTR). I will not be racing it but want something with enough performance to be fun. I'd like a truck that can perform well on 3"+ tall grass and not feel totally out of its element on asphalt. I figure a truck with plenty of ground clearance is needed for powering through taller grass. Are there any electric vehicles that would meet my requirements? I am looking for something with good bang for the buck preferably no more than $400 but I don't mind paying for quality. Also, would you recommend 2wd or 4wd?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:29 PM
motocrosser74

Default RE: Recommendations for 1st Nitro Truck?

4wd. the tnx, and mgt would fit that category. e-maxx is a good electric truck to
Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Bria1

That's what I was gonna say. I'd say the MGT would be your best bet. The .28 has plenty of torque and the stock tall tires will roll through the grass pretty easy.

ORIGINAL: motocrosser74

4wd. the tnx, and mgt would fit that category. e-maxx is a good electric truck to
Old 09-13-2006, 01:24 AM
RC30GTR

defintely 4wd... why in the world will you want a 2WD?

I was gonna recommend a Genesis... its THE beast.... with its 77 engine and size.... but thats $500+ .. maybe the CEN Magnum NX? ITs the best entry level truck for $250 from ultimiate hobbies... for $350-400.. the MGT will probablly be the best
Old 09-13-2006, 09:17 AM
mikewoodkozar

first nitro truck? Doesnt get any easier than a XXX-NT
Old 09-13-2006, 01:01 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eliminate stadium trucks, great on pavement, and dirt track, or dirt, but horrible in any depth of grass. I own a .18 tamiya tnx and its a 4wd drive monster its awesome in all those conditions not to mention very easy to tune. The mgt from ae is also in that catogory and many people seem to be pleased with it. Like the one guy says ultimatehobbies.com is the place to buy for price, he is right on, on those prices a great deal. The cen nx would be good to, but i would chose the first 2 first. Traxxas can be a little hard to tune, so for a newbie to nitro I would rule them out. Don't get me wrong the revo is a great truck, but the 2.5 or 3.3 can be finicky, plus your price range is much higher, savage is also a good truck but your getting into that higher price range. The AE mgt and tamiya tnx are equals to all for a lot less money.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:12 PM
huw4027

Trust me if you can afford it get the Genesis LE because this is a great truck.
It has a .46 motor with a 3 speed tranny and has big 7.5 inch wheels that allow
it to run virtually anywhere and www.horizonhobby.com has loads of parts for it.
My MGT was my baby until i got the Genesis.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:05 PM
R/C Fan

Thanks for the input. So if the Savage X, MGT 4.60 SE, and Revo were all the same price, which would you recommend? What about the Losi Aftershock? I think I would prefer the truck to come with reverse (or is it really not needed?) and the electric starters look more user friendly.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 PM
blackrain

as a first mt i would defenetly say mgt very reliable and a simple design and easy to work on with a very user friendly engine
Old 09-15-2006, 10:41 PM
EG1

LST2, comes with a great radio, is easy to work on and bashes/races very well. Thing is sweet box stock, 427 is the best RTR engine out right now IMO.

Savages are a pain to work on so I'd stay clear of them.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:04 PM
huw4027

I totally agree with Blackrain, the MGT is very reliable, easy to work on, big & has a ton load hop ups. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-17-2006, 02:28 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Savage 25 was my first, and is the reason I'm so addicted to the hobby.. ABSOLUTELY problem-free, reliable, set-and-forget engine, tough, nothing short of AMAZING what it has survived.. Three thumbs up... The X though from what I hear is a different story...

Which is all why I'm looking very closely at getting a Thunder Tiger MTA4 S28.. In Europe that's the same as the MGT 4.6.. You just hear too many positives about it to have doubts..

The LST2 is surely awesome, but has issues out of the box.

The Aftershock is pointless.

The X may or may not be tough and reliable.. If you lived here I'd sell my new and unused one to you...

The Revo must be cool.., but more for racing I think. Lots of Traxxas-haters out there - for whatever reasons.. Traxxas just isn't big enough here..

So, coming from somebody who spends WAY too much time on RC forums, my clear call for the best, most reliable, solid MT of the moment is the MGT...

(unless of course you can find an older generation Savage - 25RTR, ATV, SS, and especially the Savage 25 LE.. If you can find that last one, pounce on it.. Best out of the box basher yet..)
Old 09-17-2006, 07:18 AM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

(unless of course you can find an older generation Savage - 25RTR, ATV, SS, and especially the Savage 25 LE.. If you can find that last one, pounce on it.. Best out of the box basher yet..)
They are not that difficult to find really.. I picked up the ATV version from www.ultimatehobbies.com

And www.stormerhobbies.com have at least 6 LE models...
Old 09-17-2006, 07:59 AM
St3f4N

I have the mta-4, very good truck in my opinion, i cant believe the fact that its survived some pretty nasty hits
Old 09-17-2006, 08:13 AM
13dradonslayers

i like gas and i have a kyoso wild dodge ram and an stadium max withch is the t max with no reverse and no 4wd so i suggest t max 2.5 or stadium max 2.5 there both in your price range see ya
Old 09-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Id recomend a Savage .25 not a savage x to expensive new but if you had the money get a savage x or a Lst.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 PM
zach brenner

I'd say the lst 2 but its 600$ + so go for a savage. (there all good)