Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

can't decide..

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:35 AM
mcstarr25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't decide..

Im in between a Kit Savage 4.6 ss. or the Losi LST RTR, or the AE MGT...i own two AE stadium trucks and love them, but want to try somethin in the 1/8th scale monster truck flavor, bored with 10th stadiums

between these 3 which would you pick?

i dont care for the revo or traxxas, i have a 4tec and dont like it at all..
Old 10-05-2006, 04:49 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: can't decide..

I'm kind of in the same boat - can't decide between the Sav X SS and the LST2.. Depends what you want to do - the Savage will defo be tougher and survive more, but the LST2 is faster, bigger, and handles(much) better.. Tough call.. The X SS(with a special offer..) AND a decent radio + servos is actually more expensive for me than an LST2.. I'm not necessarily all that into building a kit either - if you are, then it should be clear.. Part availability for the LST2 could also become an issue(for me anyway..)

Basically, given what I want to do mostly - JUMP - I think it comes down to this: the LST2 does it faster, better, higher, controls better in the air, etc.. - but the Sav will survive more wrecks.. The Sav is more I think for hard driving and bashing - the LST2 more high-maintenance, also requiring a few key upgrades more or less right away..

The MGT is ready to run, big, solid, easy to work on, a good all-rounder.. - not as fast as the LST2, not quite as tough as a Sav - but can both bash and race..

That's kind of how I see it..
Old 10-05-2006, 05:41 AM
mcstarr25

ya around here the lsh's dont carry many losi parts, sake of ordering stuff online.

associated stuff is easy to get

im reading up on my monster GT i might just get it, it is easier to work on it seems. and AE's are reliable... argh cant decide

nor can i decide on a sterring servo...how much torque is enough for a monster truck? im thinking at least 200oz..i saw some guy on here with a 333oz digital hi tec..179 bucks though.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:53 AM
Chronic

You've never seen a 4.6 SS run have you? It has a better power to weight ratio than both the LST2 or the MGT. The LST2 has a very slight edge on the topend, but it has nothing for the SS when it comes to acceleration. Not to mention the increased durability it has over the basic Savage models.

An SS is quite different than your Savage 25. It weighs less, has lots more power, and it is more adjustable. Different animals.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:53 AM
HerrSavage

I just bought a couple over the weekend - €29 apiece(well, I weaseled the guy down to €25 for a second one..) At this stage in my RC career, 40 bucks is my max for a servo.. Plus, I prefer having several trucks with not too much modding, than one super-expensive super-modded truck..(good to have a backup IMO..)

So, hmm, lemme' read here.. It's a Blue Bird BMS 620 MG.. At 6 volts it's got 10.6 kg-cm(multiply kilo x 2.2 to get pounds..), and 144oz-in.. It says the speed is 0.13 sec/60 degrees..

I don't know what any of that means - but the guy said it was comparable to if not better than a Hitec 645. And I CAN say this, that I DO notice an improvement over the DUAL-stock servos my Lightning GT came with.. This second one is going in my Savage and as far as I'm concerned it's good enough..

Back to the MGT - I passed up a chance to get one for €400 at the trade-fair last weekend.. I don't know - I hope I don't enrage MGT fans by saying it - but it just doesn't look top quality to me.. EVERYBODY, EVERYWHERE swears they're tough - so I believe it - but it just doesn't look like something I want so spend a whole lot on... And in the end, I think it's not much faster if at all than a Savage, but then not quite as tough, and it doesn't measure up in any way to the LST2 - as far as I can tell.. I think I'll prob go the LST2 route - and quite possibly regret it and then sell it if it proves to be too high-maintenance.. And get an MTA4 S50 maybe....
Old 10-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

i know you have concerns patrick, i was the same way, the only reason i got the mgt is because it was a step down from the lst2, and i could not afford it. SO this truck is the budget truck, imo. Usually found cheaper than most other mt's. I really like the truck, but admit, having nice electronics is just as important as the truck capabilities imo.
But no matter what, i think you guys will be happy with whatever you decide on.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 PM
mcstarr25

nope sorry i havent actually seen one run in person, only sitting on a table

ive seen the revo, it looks cheap. and didnt corner well at all from what i saw when it was running

ive seen Tmaxx and thats about it besides old school trucks.

and patrick that sounds like a good servo for the price. im not looking to spend mega bucks on eletronics, going to get the MX-3S, a decent throttle servo with allumnium spindle replacements, and not sure on the sterring servo. everyone i know is tellin me to go Hitec..ill look into that brand you mentioned
Old 10-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Fiegs

Have you looked at the new Team Losi Muggy??
I saw it in my lhs the other day and it looked preety sweet.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:59 AM
HerrSavage

You know what the problem is?? I haven't seen an MGT run in person.. It was seeing the LST2's in person that got me thinking about getting one.. I'm sure seeing an MGT run in person would convince me..
Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Back to the MGT - I passed up a chance to get one for €400 at the trade-fair last weekend.. I don't know - I hope I don't enrage MGT fans by saying it - but it just doesn't look top quality to me.. EVERYBODY, EVERYWHERE swears they're tough - so I believe it - but it just doesn't look like something I want so spend a whole lot on... And in the end, I think it's not much faster if at all than a Savage, but then not quite as tough, and it doesn't measure up in any way to the LST2 - as far as I can tell..

Hmmm, remember that conversation we had in this forum a few days ago?... the one where you guys told me that the only reason MGTs aren't as popular as a Revo, Savage, or LST2 was because they don't market the truck correctly?

Now you see my point. It's a good truck with alot to offer, and they are cheaper than those other trucks, but most people have the same impressions you had. It's just not in the same league as the two other trucks mentioned here. The LST2 and the Savage SS will both outperform an MGT 4.6 at everything. Those other two trucks are going to cost a good $200 more to get up and running, but you can't match their performance by simply dumping $200 into the MGT.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:42 AM
HerrSavage

Not SSOOO sure about that.. You can do a good bit with 200 bucks.. But ultimately you're right(I think..)- the MGT can't hang performance-wise with those two trucks - but durability wise I think(I've heard..) it can - and that's where it's value comes in.. Plus, it's bigger and prob handles better than a Sav, and tougher/more reliable than an LST2.. That plus the price means it's got a lot going for it..

I think the main reason it makes a cheapy kind of first impression is just those plastic mud-guards - but heck, they're probably totally functional..
Old 10-06-2006, 09:27 AM
2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

You know what the problem is?? I haven't seen an MGT run in person.. It was seeing the LST2's in person that got me thinking about getting one.. I'm sure seeing an MGT run in person would convince me..
Yet you have suggested the MGT multiple times........I would never make statements about monster trucks that I have not observed in person and or raced on a weekly basis, we are different that way.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 AM
HerrSavage

You got me there I suppose.. - but recommending the MTA4 based on what TONS of people on various forums in various countries have said is really no different than if a friend of mine asked if he should buy a Warhead. I've never seen one run - but I'd still say no.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I've helped a new racer wrench on a WarHead and that's why I would say no. If I had never laid a wrench to one or watched one run or tried to tune one I would just keep quiet because I would have no first hand knowledge. That's just how I operate.......You should just let people you give suggestions know that you have limited direct knowledge and that you are going by what you have read second hand from strangers on the internet.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:03 AM
HerrSavage

You have a point - up to a point.. But, not having any RC friends or contacts, I have to rely on forums more than most. I thoroughly researched things before buying my first RC - my Sav - and was thoroughly satisfied the way things worked out. Yes, you have to sift through a lot of nonsense on the forums - but there are two extremes - one, the unrealistic extreme of buying every truck yourself and seeing how it is. Or - and that's what forums are for, after all, right? - you ask people and read about other peoples' experiences.. I know it's not an ideal way to make a decision - but in the absence of 1.) a huge RC scene nearby or lots or experienced RC contacts, or 2.) a huge pile of money to test every truck on the market - I'm left relying on forums.. I'm pretty confident about the conslusions I draw when I draw them. And I've heard enough about MTA4/MGT's that I would feel confident getting one. Where this is turned on its head with me is with the LST2 - everywhere I read about them I get more and more skeptical about how high-maintenance they must be. But I recently saw some in person and was impressed.. So for me, it's going out on a limb a bit - a very expensive limb BTW..
Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 AM
2DMaxLST!!

My whole point is you should not immeadiately suggest something without first hand knowledge, that's all. I feel for all the people who took your advice and bought a MGT only to later realize that you had never owned or even observed one run and next they hear you wanna get a LST2 after you see one for the first time. I have news for you, all nitro vechicles are high mainentance, you can bank on that.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:17 AM
HerrSavage

Nope - not all.. THAT I know from experience..
Old 10-06-2006, 11:20 AM
2DMaxLST!!

They are if they are driven regularly, I suspect I go through more nitro than you do.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:24 AM
NJ NETS FAN
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

They are if they are driven regularly, I suspect I go through more nitro than you do.
Patrick, why don't you stop trying to look better than 2d? Every1 know 2d knows his sh*t so stop ragging on him even though he is right.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:35 AM
HerrSavage

I'm sure you do. I don't doubt for one second that you have 100x more experience than I do. That does not however mean the conclusions I've drawn based on LOTS of other peoples' experience are flawed. Furthermore, YOU are biased from the beginning.. (I'mot talking trash here - just standing up for myself..) That's not only based on brand either - but actually on the fact that you have SO much experience - and are a competitive(and very succesfull, from what I hear..) RACER.. I notice this occasionally in forums - guys with SO much experience, especially racers.., lose perspective about what's in the best interests of a newbie teenager on a budget who just wants to jump ramps in his backyard.. It's like asking advice for what first car to get, and Michael Schumacher says anything less than a Ferrari F430 is a waste of time.. Well, yeah.., great.. Fact is, an LST2 with the list of upgrades you apparently need to make it as tough as an MGT probably is out of the box - would cost about TWICE as much as the MGT.. Yeah, it'll be twice as fast, handle twice as well, etc.. - but you're talking about a whole different thing...

In any case, you say you "feel" for all those poor people who bought MGT's.. Most of these threads are basically from teenagers on a budget, who just want a solid backyard basher. So, in that price-range, you're looking - currently - at the MGT, the Sav X, an Aftershock, and a Revo. Now, I don't know THAT much about Revos..(I hear mixed things about toughness/reliability - so no conclusions drawn there..) - but for some teenager on a budget who wants a solid, backyard basher that can jump, bash, and not fall apart - I have NO reservations whatsoever about recommending an MTA4.. If I were just getting into RC now - as a first RC MT that's exactly what I would get. I started a year ago though - and am very very glad I got my Sav. Now, (thanks to my Sav having hooked me into the hobby..), I want to move up in the performance dept - although how much I'll be losing in the toughness/reliability dept. isn't really clear to me..