Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Mach 427 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 01:50 PM
jonnymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mach 427 questions.

My mach 427 seems to run hot with the body on. I will ventilate the shell better but does anyone know if this is common on new engines? Do they run cooler as they bed in?
Also the cooling fins on top of the head run transversely. I want to turn the head 45 degrees to allow better cooling. Has anybody done this or know any reason I shouldn't? I'm pretty sure its just a case of unbolting rotating 45 degs and tightening back down.
incidently its running at 250 and still pretty rich. Without the body it seems fine.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:55 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Mach 427 questions.

I don't really know what to recommend, but I bet somebody says it's an airleak.... I'd just richen it a tad if temps are too high..
Old 05-12-2007, 06:52 PM
KILL--ROY

250 is not that hot. My savage .25 ran 300, and it ripped with plenty of smoke. Dont worry to much about temps. Tune with sound and smoke. Lean it out a hair, and see how it sounds and watch the smoke. A lean motor makes a high wine sound and there is no smoke. Your motor might like 270, or 300.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:13 AM
jonnymac

Yeah usually I'm not worried but this engine is just broke in, so i wanted to be gentle with it for a while. I'll give it better air flow from the body, and try and rotate the head 45 degrees so air flow cools better and i'm sure it will be fine.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:27 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I forgot BTW - what truck do you have? I recently put a Savage air filter on my LST2 and it seems to be anyway it runs a lot better with it - starts better, idles better, and most of all faster.....

Could be a dirty aif filter or your glow plug is bad??
Old 05-13-2007, 04:55 AM
jonnymac

Well its in an MGT, but the air filter is O.S. Its a new filter that I put on when I started break in and its not been anywhere very dirty and still looks very clean. The plug I suppose could be an issue as break in can foul plugs pretty quickly.
I'll report back after i've tried these things out.
I'm just going to go ahead with moving the head round though as this must affect cooling to a degree at least. I'll find out if its possible when I get the head off I suppose
Old 05-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Chronic

Yeah spin the head around, it's fine to do so.

You say you have just finished break in? How much have you leaned it out? If it's running 250 and you have already tuned it then no worries, but if you are seeing 250 with a rich break in setting then it is certainly getting too hot for some reason. Like Patrick said, are you sure there are no airleaks ANYWHERE? Fuel tank, exhaust, backplate, carb, fuel lines, fuel filter....?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 AM
jonnymac

I spun the head round no probs.
Ok so its not at factory settings. Its going pretty well shifting into second fine. Its a tad rich because i'm reluctant to go to full race tune directly from break in. I usually tune it for reasonable performance whilst being a shade on the rich side. Thats where its at.
I've modded the body slightly to allow better airflow and like I said I spun the head round, so I really need to try it now. Its just been raining solidly since i did it lol.
As for air leaks, its a new engine but I haven't checked all round yet. I'll give it the once over and get back to you.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:26 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

tune it for power. it won't hurt it. I never put any ventilation holes in my body, and i ran my M427 without incident for a few gallons in 120-degree Arizona heat too. The guy that has the engine now should pipe in on this thread tomorrow, I just sent him the link.

250 isn't hot...I've always run my engines above 250, unless they get a lean stutter before then
Old 05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
brownstone101

wow tbj u just read my mind :P yea i bought tbj mach 427 a wile ago and i did notise it ran realy hot. it overall is a hot running motor. each motor has there own specs. i have put a good tune and let her run for 20 or so mins and i mean it cooks but no dammage and it fires right back up. dont wory about it just dont lean it out the mach is a hard motor to tune if u go by temp thats why i never realy got a temp gun no real point for that motor. just my 2 cents bro u should be fine and have fun with it, dont wory over it, how is that fun

o Ps: if u got a savage and you have this in it put the fins the correct way those buttons are no prob and the head is independent of that button so go for it and if u got the stock ceramic clutch CHANGE IT you will kill sper gears and wont know the full potential till u got an alumnum one

good luck