Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Size DOESN'T matter.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:35 PM
F-22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size DOESN'T matter.

Ladies and petrol-heads, I give you what you have been wanting, an extensive overview contrasting the LST2 and the Cen GST 7.7!

Alright. So, my friend races trucks for a hobby and has four models, the LST2, Cen GST 7.7 and two others I haven't asked about. I've driven nitros many times before, but never owned one, and since I am purchasing one soon, I figured I'd better find the one I REALLY want. I was stuck on the Cen GST 7.7 for a while, thinking it's engine and large-ness would be awesome for bashing and racing. Lolcakes, wrong. But anyhow, I asked him him opinion and he said I could come over and try any of his collection if it helped my decision.

So he says I'm free to try any of them, so I picked the two most familiar and from what I heard, best. The CEN and the LST2. By the end of my sessions, I wasn't even interested in the other two. We headed to the local track with those two. Luckily we had it to ourselves. Gotta love small towns.

CEN GST 7.7: He prepped everything, clonked it down on the track, and handed me the controller. This would be fun.
I twitched the throttle and it roared to life, the engine rocketing it forward and the tires biting the dirt perfectly. But my first problems arose when I rounded a corner, not even going that fast to be cautious. It rolled several times into the boundary and I had to go retrieve it. I'd guess because of the high center of gravity and sorta-kinda-thick suspension. Anyhow, I flipped it over and throttled on again, hitting the straightaways at what I'd guess was 35 mph. But the turns were terrible, even on a fresh venom cell and batteries. I had to screech to a near hault every time and then throttle. In a race, this would lose every bit of the time I'd gain on the straight-aways, and then some. Then there were the jumps. Keep in mind, this truck was relatively new. The first jump was met pretty well, the truck hitting the ground with the front impacting only about an inch forward. Good there, even if it is a bit uncontrollable midair. But soon, for some reason an A-arm snapzorred. Oh well, maybe a freak accident.. Or not. Or maybe. Anyhow, he got the truck and packed it back in for later repair. If It broke under these conditions, couldn't be too good for bashing, either.

Team Losi LST2: He plonked it down and I flicked the throttle, feeling a bit more comfortable now. This time, too, the powerful engine propelled the relatively (To the GST 7.7) small body forward at very high speeds. It hopped the first jump gracefully, the plush suspension working beautifully. It then roudned the first corner without losing much speed (Sort of a drift.) and roared down the straightaway, hitting a double and again landing perfectly, with great in-air responsiveness. It continued like this untill it was getting late, at which point he packed it up and we headed back.

OVERVIEW: The LST2 broke nothing, had better jumping abilities, speed, cornering, suspension, center of gravity... You get the point, than the GST 7.7. The best part is, the GST isn't a racing truck, it's mainly for bashing, and ironically broke a part on the track, while the LST2 can do both marvelously.

Guess what I'm buying NOW.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:42 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Size DOESN'T matter.

I have to agree with you, the LST2 is the better truck.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:39 PM
twomanytoys

Comparing the lst2 to the gst 7.7 is like a vette to a dodge ram srt.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:26 PM
snoking16

yeah...we all pretty much know what your saying. but thanks for the refresher. so what truck are you going with?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:38 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

Have you tried the Savage X yet? It's slightly smaller but alot more durable for bashing. I love mine.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:04 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats exactly what I told you in your other thread F-22.. Also, every truck is different, the GST can also be set up to be a pretty decent racer if you can believe that, any truck can.. The LST2 and Revo are just the more "racer" friendly trucks...
Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 AM
F-22

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Thats exactly what I told you in your other thread F-22.. Also, every truck is different, the GST can also be set up to be a pretty decent racer if you can believe that, any truck can.. The LST2 and Revo are just the more "racer" friendly trucks...
From what I saw and hear, both from the forum and my friend, the LST2 is better for bashing aswell.
And, I'll be getting the LST2 and maybe dropping a .28 in or such. What do you think, just keep the .26 in?
Old 03-30-2008, 12:54 PM
rcnitrohead

I've heard the stock Losi engine is excellent, one of the best RTR engines included in any truck.[8D]
Old 03-30-2008, 01:42 PM
F-22

Yet I also hear you can pull 55 with a good .28..
Old 03-30-2008, 02:01 PM
rcnitrohead

No MT will go 55mph without significant mods....
Old 03-30-2008, 02:24 PM
F-22

Yes. 15 mph more and the world stops spinning.

>.>
Old 03-30-2008, 02:41 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

No MT will go 55mph without significant mods....
The XTM Mammoth MT came close... at 50+mph. with a .247 motor.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Valdeck

Thanks for the heads up on this thread f-22 and from what I hear your experience is both a freak and the norm. the weight of the truck can cause serious problems and one of the first things i would do if i buy it is get some type of rpm arms for it but still thats beside the point. The LST2 I would figure would have better handling on ground and in air. As far as the steering on the GST more than a few people have said the stock spring could use replacing of a much stiffer one and the throttle and brake springs need tweaking but still.

The more I think about it the more I will end up with a LST2 although I am still very very interested in the GST (mostly because I don't mind breaking parts if its cause of something like weight not poor quality). As far as the comment about not MT going 55 with out serious modifications I don't totally agree with that. It depends on what you call heavy mods but some could do that with a few light weight parts and a possible bigger engine but then again good tuning does amazing work. I know I was able to get my revo to 56 (according to radar gun) but its not really a MT mostly a hybrid lol but it dosnt run so well after it went into the lake on its own lol dumb thing took off with only half the batteries in the control after they all fell out.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:38 PM
F-22

ORIGINAL: Valdeck

Thanks for the heads up on this thread f-22 and from what I hear your experience is both a freak and the norm. the weight of the truck can cause serious problems and one of the first things i would do if i buy it is get some type of rpm arms for it but still thats beside the point. The LST2 I would figure would have better handling on ground and in air. As far as the steering on the GST more than a few people have said the stock spring could use replacing of a much stiffer one and the throttle and brake springs need tweaking but still.

The more I think about it the more I will end up with a LST2 although I am still very very interested in the GST (mostly because I don't mind breaking parts if its cause of something like weight not poor quality). As far as the comment about not MT going 55 with out serious modifications I don't totally agree with that. It depends on what you call heavy mods but some could do that with a few light weight parts and a possible bigger engine but then again good tuning does amazing work. I know I was able to get my revo to 56 (according to radar gun) but its not really a MT mostly a hybrid lol but it dosnt run so well after it went into the lake on its own lol dumb thing took off with only half the batteries in the control after they all fell out.
True that.

And by the way, I've seen videos of LST2s with a .28, and they LOOK 50+, if that means anything.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Snaut Rocket

If lst2's are hitting 50 its not cause of the 28's they have.
Its about the gearing and the size of there tires.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Sugafree

Or there Brushless
Old 03-30-2008, 06:53 PM
megamaxx

50+ is spooky in any MT,have a PICCO.28 powered Revo and MGT.the Revo is pushing close to 50 and its down right scary.IMHO iwould stick with the stock 427 in the LST,its plenty for that truck to start with.and as stated above,it is one of the best RTR engines out there right now.wear it out,then upgrade.