Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Integy parts - missing screws

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Ziggy46802

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integy parts - missing screws

I recently put in aluminum Integy front bulkheads and front skid plate and after only 2-3 tanks I already had over 5 screws missing from those areas. Is this because Integy is just junk and their aluminum is made cheaply and badly so the screws aren't in there very tight or is it because of the nature of metal not being able to bend for screws like plastic? I would think its because of Integy since my chassis is aluminum (T-Maxx 3.3) and all the screws on there that go to other metal haven't come loose at all yet. If the problem is with Integy, should I go over to ACNCM since I've heard they make good aluminum parts for the T-Maxx.
Also, this is offtopic, but my rear driveshaft (coming from the transmission to the differential) snapped and I was wondering what company I should go to for good steel driveshafts (assuming steel is the best quality you can get). Would ACNCM be good for this?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:05 PM
bob5429

Default RE: Integy parts - missing screws

you need to loctite all bolts into metal
Old 05-16-2008, 05:17 PM
binaryterror

Integy isn't know as the best, but this isn't their fault its YOURS! User error bud.

Always use blue loctite when screwing screws into anything aluminum or steel. Except for the glow plug and the engine head screws.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Ziggy46802

What if you ever want to take the screw out? Would you be able to unscrew the screw after loctiting it?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:37 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use blue thread lock, yes.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Ziggy46802

Can you get blue thread lock at normal stores like Lowes or can you only get it at hobby shops?

EDIT-> After looking it up, I would think you would only be able to get normal loctite in non-hobby stores and that would pretty much put the screw in their permanently I guess? The blue thread lock would basically make the screw stick but you would still be able to unscrew it? With the blue thread lock though, does it matter what company makes it since I saw a couple different companies selling it? Why is it called "blue" thread lock?

EDIT-> Looking up the right item this time I figured out that I could just pick some up at Lowes for $6.00.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Soothsayerman

get it at an autoparts store.

its called blue because that's the color and it means it's non-permanent

red loctite is permanent

quack
Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Sugafree

Threadlocker Grades
Loctite's threadlocker products come in different strength grades, to suit the particular application.

Blue Removable No. 242, 243, 246, 248, 2432 & 2440 - Used for things you may want to unscrew with minimal hassle. It cures into a brittle, glassy bond that takes one good twist to break, but removes cleanly after that. Recommended for use with valve covers, water pumps and oil pan bolts.

Red High-Strength No. 271, 262, 266, 268, 272, 277 & 2760 - Used on things that you don't want to take apart for a long time. It requires heat from a torch or iron (to 250° C) to loosen its grip. It cures into a thicker, sticky bond that holds up better against vibration and shocks. It is typically used in mechanical applications such as nuts and bolts in cars, motorbikes, snowmobiles, and watercraft.

Green - penetrating grade No. 220(blue), 290 & 294 - Used for use on parts that have already been assembled.

Purple - low strength grade No. 222MS & 222 - Used for set screws.

For Plastic threads - No. 425. - Used for small plastic threads.

I like the Stick for RC Screws,(Very Easy to Apply to the Screws and Last for Years....)

<image removed>
Old 05-18-2008, 09:57 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Ziggy46802

I recently put in aluminum Integy front bulkheads and front skid plate and after only 2-3 tanks I already had over 5 screws missing from those areas. Is this because Integy is just junk and their aluminum is made cheaply and badly so the screws aren't in there very tight or is it because of the nature of metal not being able to bend for screws like plastic? I would think its because of Integy since my chassis is aluminum (T-Maxx 3.3) and all the screws on there that go to other metal haven't come loose at all yet. If the problem is with Integy, should I go over to ACNCM since I've heard they make good aluminum parts for the T-Maxx.
Also, this is offtopic, but my rear driveshaft (coming from the transmission to the differential) snapped and I was wondering what company I should go to for good steel driveshafts (assuming steel is the best quality you can get). Would ACNCM be good for this?
I hate to say it, but part of you problem is your own, but the other part of the problem is also what you said: Integy's poor material quality. Of course, as already said, loctite is a must (you should have used loctite, no offense or bashing intended, just trying be helpful).

But I would not go blue loctite due to poorer grade of Integy's aluminum. Go red. But even then, this is only a quick fix. The rigors of normal bashing will cause the poor Integy soft aluminum parts to causes even the screws with red loctite to flex, and eventually wear, round out, and strip the screws out. When the threads are gone from the Integy parts, there will be no amount of red loctite or even JB Weld to keep the screws in.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 AM
rclynx

WOW JIM thats brutle.................LOL................if its to the place where you need RED LOCTITE or JB WELD its time to get something different [&:] Balsa Airplanes with epoxy comes to mind
Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 AM
thedr
Banned

I agree, anyone that doesn't put loctite on a screw into metal is asking for the problems that come as a result of the oversight. It's down right silly to seek to blame the maker of the parts for an installation error.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:55 AM
thedr
Banned

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM
I hate to say it, but part of you problem is your own, but the other part of the problem is also what you said: Integy's poor material quality. Of course, as already said, loctite is a must (you should have used loctite, no offense or bashing intended, just trying be helpful).

But I would not go blue loctite due to poorer grade of Integy's aluminum. Go red. But even then, this is only a quick fix. The rigors of normal bashing will cause the poor Integy soft aluminum parts to causes even the screws with red loctite to flex, and eventually wear, round out, and strip the screws out. When the threads are gone from the Integy parts, there will be no amount of red loctite or even JB Weld to keep the screws in.
I agree with part of your contention, but part of it I don't.
The truth is that Integy sells low-cost aluminum parts that are manufactured in China and re-packaged by Integy (along with a bunch of other companies) and sold in the U.S. If folks want higher grade parts then they need to save their pennies and buy from companies that make parts using higher grade aluminum than what is typically used in the Far East. Slamming Integy for giving people what they want, bling parts at cheap prices, seems sort of pointless as it's consumer demand for cheap stuff that drives the market.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:32 AM
IL2mSturmovik

People who know, dont buy Integy
Old 05-18-2008, 11:56 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: thedr

I agree with part of your contention, but part of it I don't.
The truth is that Integy sells low-cost aluminum parts that are manufactured in China and re-packaged by Integy (along with a bunch of other companies) and sold in the U.S. If folks want higher grade parts then they need to save their pennies and buy from companies that make parts using higher grade aluminum than what is typically used in the Far East. Slamming Integy for giving people what they want, bling parts at cheap prices, seems sort of pointless as it's consumer demand for cheap stuff that drives the market.
What you are saying is exactly what I am trying to convey. If anyone wants quality parts, they must choose carefully and pay money for the better parts. I am not slamming Integy as a company, I am criticizing them for not firing their cheap-o chinese subcontractor and hiring someone else who will make better parts. And honestly, for the "bling" factor, Integy should not charge as much money for it and he shoud be required to include the disclaimer "For Decorative Purposes Only!" They do not, and RC fans everywhere have slapped on these sorry chinese parts onto their cars andtrucks only to discover they are not structurally sound of up to functional par as even the stock pieces.

I have used Integy parts, my neighbor has used Integy parts also, and these thing have caused us nothing but problems. I have seen people on the track with Integy parts and they do not hold up to the rigors of racing, much less backyard bashing.

Integy has misled the consumers here, they clearly do not specify that their stuff is for only "bling" or "Decorative Purposes Only." Based on that, it is very clear that they are trying to pass off their stuff as for actual use.

Integy has the potential to do MUCH MUCH better. They have in the past made some top grade tools. They should use this same quality with the actual car and truck parts as well. Not only that, their chinese subcontrator is not reliable. A person from Integy even admitted that here in RCU in another thread. This subcontrator has been late in producing parts and often does not produce enough parts for what Integy ordered from them. Worse, the products from this subcontractor is no where near to Integy's reknown RC tools.

If Integy were to fire thier overseaes contractor, purchase more CNC machines, and made the parts themselves to their exacting standards as seen by the tools that have put their name on the map, they can bring up their reputation again. Though they would be mroe expensive, I would pay for it because the parts would be properly engineered, designed, and contain proper materials. Integy CAN do good and produce much better products. They have in the past, and I truely believe they can again.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 PM
thedr
Banned

What you are saying is exactly what I am trying to convey. If anyone wants quality parts, they must choose carefully and pay money for the better parts. I am not slamming Integy as a company, I am criticizing them for not firing their cheap-o chinese subcontractor and hiring someone else who will make better parts. And honestly, for the "bling" factor, Integy should not charge as much money for it and he shoud be required to include the disclaimer "For Decorative Purposes Only!" They do not, and RC fans everywhere have slapped on these sorry chinese parts onto their cars andtrucks only to discover they are not structurally sound of up to functional par as even the stock pieces.

I have used Integy parts, my neighbor has used Integy parts also, and these thing have caused us nothing but problems. I have seen people on the track with Integy parts and they do not hold up to the rigors of racing, much less backyard bashing.

Integy has misled the consumers here, they clearly do not specify that their stuff is for only "bling" or "Decorative Purposes Only." Based on that, it is very clear that they are trying to pass off their stuff as for actual use.

Integy has the potential to do MUCH MUCH better. They have in the past made some top grade tools. They should use this same quality with the actual car and truck parts as well. Not only that, their chinese subcontrator is not reliable. A person from Integy even admitted that here in RCU in another thread. This subcontrator has been late in producing parts and often does not produce enough parts for what Integy ordered from them. Worse, the products from this subcontractor is no where near to Integy's reknown RC tools.

If Integy were to fire thier overseaes contractor, purchase more CNC machines, and made the parts themselves to their exacting standards as seen by the tools that have put their name on the map, they can bring up their reputation again. Though they would be mroe expensive, I would pay for it because the parts would be properly engineered, designed, and contain proper materials. Integy CAN do good and produce much better products. They have in the past, and I truely believe they can again.
I guess we're on the same page... maybe not. LOL

I think if it was as easy as "firing their cheap-o chinese subcontractor and hiring someone else" they'd have done it already. But I think folks fail to realize, and as I attempted to allude to earlier, there are only few manufacturers for these parts in the world - and most are all overseas in the Far East where wages are cheap. Companies like Integy buy these parts in bulk, mostly from 3Racing, and only re-package them with their own labels. It looks to be an Integy part, but it really isn't any more than a shirt you buy in Wallyworld is made by Walmart.
And the problem most arises because people don't want to pay the big bucks for the good parts made of T-6 aluminum, they want the cheapest bling they can get their hands on - and yes, at that point they should understand they get what they pay for. But they don't.
The other thing people fail to rationalize is that these little cars and trucks are designed around the concept of the flexibility and give factor built into their original nylon and plastic parts - and just bolting aluminum, no matter the manufacturer or grade of alloy, does nothing to toughen it up. It only adds to the breakage factor as the alloy parts have no give to them, while the stock parts do give and flex and absorb the force of impacts. In addtion, people also fail to rationalize that crashing these toy cars and trucks SHOULD realistically take a greater toll on them than they do - and much in the same manner you wouldn't expect your Honda or Ford or Toyota or Chevy to come out out of a 30mph confrontation with a mailbox post unscathed, your RC shouldn't either.
And since Integy, or anyone else I know of, doesn't mark their products or brag about their indestructability I don't know that any "Decorative Purposes Only" sticker is neccessary, for thinking otherwise is purely silly or short-sighted or both.

Sure literally any company in the RC biz has the potential to do much better, yet at the same time (as I said before) Integy is a re-seller and re-packager - they don't make any of their own stuff. And they only offer stuff that's within the pricerange of what the buying market is willing to and have shown they're willing to pay - and if they vary from that they will quickly find themselves out of business as many others have over the years.

Firing their overseas contractor and purchasing more CNC machines, while potentially the answer, is hardly the answer. Considering labor costs in this country alone would likely increase their costs 10-fold, and thus they'd be out of business before the first electic bill hit their mailbox. You might be willing to pay more, but honestly how many of your buddies would as well? My guess, not as many as you think. That's why there are so many nich companies in this country serving such a small nich of the RC market - if the industry and jobs could have stayed here they would have, but it's why Associated and Losi and literally all the major brands now have their cars manufactured overseas. We've priced ourselves out of our own market.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:26 AM
RCtruckRacer

I think reality is somewhere in the middle here. Aluminum is sometimes a necessary upgrade. The suspension takes a beating, especially in off-road. Personally I like to beef up the suspension where needed so that I get rod ends or ball cups popping, rather than breaking knuckles, c-hubs etc. MUCH easier to fix those rod ends or ball cups etc.

So, when I need to make an upgrade like this I would expect the aluminum part to be stronger than the plastic it replaced. If it turned out to be weaker I would be very disappointed. In this regard, marketing such a part as a performance upgrade is detrimental to a companies reputation as we have seen in numerous threads.

Making quality, expensive aluminum parts in and of itself will not run a company into the ground. Putting a lable on a part that identifies it as inferior might though. The reputation Integy is getting with their aluminum parts has been well documented here, but only the folks at Integy can say whether or not opening up their own shop is a viable alternative.

As all things in life, Caveat Emptor.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:45 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: thedr

I think if it was as easy as "firing their cheap-o chinese subcontractor and hiring someone else" they'd have done it already. But I think folks fail to realize, and as I attempted to allude to earlier, there are only few manufacturers for these parts in the world - and most are all overseas in the Far East where wages are cheap. Companies like Integy buy these parts in bulk, mostly from 3Racing, and only re-package them with their own labels. It looks to be an Integy part, but it really isn't any more than a shirt you buy in Wallyworld is made by Walmart.
Well, it is very easy. All they have to say to this contactor is say "We are Integy, and this is not the direction we want to take anymore" and simply fiire them. And as RCtruckRacer said, deciding to make on's own parts is not necesarily a move taht would put a company under. As for simply being a reseller, I am actually distubed. If Integy does not even make their own stuff (none of it at all), then I would much rather simply skip Integy and go straing to thsub-contractor and get it even cheaper. After all, removing Integy removes one additional middle man. That would only lave three playes in teh equation: actual maker, distributer, seller. With Integy in teh loop, that is a 4 player market , and Integy itself is only adding to the cost of the already very poorly and cheaply made product. Now, if Integy were made its own stuff, they can keep end customer costs down by keeping that additional middleman out of the loop. The equation goes back to maker (Integy themselves), distributor, end seller. And since Integy has experience already being an end seller and even as a distributor, they can do all that maket logistics themselves. That way, the higher cost of self-manaufacture is mitigated and the end consumer prices are not ten fold (that ten fold figure I believe is actually highly inflated).

As for 3Racing being the source of alot of Integy products, ist that a fact? I am only asking because if I quote this, I want to be certain that I am passing on factual information. Also, I now would know not to buy anything from 3Racing or buy from anyon else who resells 3Racing junk.

And the problem most arises because people don't want to pay the big bucks for the good parts made of T-6 aluminum, they want the cheapest bling they can get their hands on - and yes, at that point they should understand they get what they pay for. But they don't.
The other thing people fail to rationalize is that these little cars and trucks are designed around the concept of the flexibility and give factor built into their original nylon and plastic parts - and just bolting aluminum, no matter the manufacturer or grade of alloy, does nothing to toughen it up. It only adds to the breakage factor as the alloy parts have no give to them, while the stock parts do give and flex and absorb the force of impacts.
Aside from bling, it should be functional. But by actually working with Integy "stuctural" parts that are all alum, they just do not measure up. Poor metallurgy aside, these parts from Integy or 3Racing are horribly designed. It seems that no engineering went into these parts at all, and normal forces from normal diving and normal minor bumps and hits will take a toll on these parts very quickly.

In addtion, people also fail to rationalize that crashing these toy cars and trucks SHOULD realistically take a greater toll on them than they do - and much in the same manner you wouldn't expect your Honda or Ford or Toyota or Chevy to come out out of a 30mph confrontation with a mailbox post unscathed, your RC shouldn't either.
And since Integy, or anyone else I know of, doesn't mark their products or brag about their indestructability I don't know that any "Decorative Purposes Only" sticker is neccessary, for thinking otherwise is purely silly or short-sighted or both.
I highly disagree here. It is not silly or short-sighted. It only is silly and short-sighted if you 3Racing and Integy who have no other intention but to make money and not to put out better products. From the standpoint of the customer, I, and many others who have used Integy stuff, were misled into thinking they parts are functional. So, aside from being attracted by the cheap prices, th notices or disclaimers would have given a fair counterweight as to whether or not we would want to buy the 3Racing junk from Integy.

As for industructibility of any RC part or car/truck, no, they are not invincible. BUT Integy/3Racing stuff have proven time and again not to stand up to NORMAL conditions. The Integy/3Racing alum bumpers my negibor put on his Savage did not stand up to the same everyday RC hits and bumps that the stock plastic ones do. And because 3Racing intends those bumpers to be pretty, not functonal, 3Racing should have told Integy that those are only for looks, not to actualy help mitigate bumps and hits like the stock bumpers.

This brings up what you are mentioning about materials science: the nyon being mroe plastic than metal (what I mean by "plastic" is the flexibility and durability of the issue, not the polymer itself). You and I know that metal is not as flexible as nylon, but how many RC fans undertand that engineering principal? Someone sees an Integy alum bumper set and says "that looks nice! I will put those on my daily basher!" And when they go out to bash and show off teh bling, the bling quickly gets scratched up and falls apart while the other guys with the stock nylom parts keep on going like nothing happens. My point is any RC fan who will think the 3Racing junk is functional just by looking at it (unless he understands at least a little ablout materials science).

For Integy to say "These parts are decorative pieces, not intended for bashing," they are not claiming inferiority, they are simply telling the truth. And yes, people will still buy them because there are many (includeing me) who actually have a shelf queen buy bling pieces to put on them. (I do admit that I do not buy shelf queen parts anymoer, the bling pieces are simply way too overpriced for junk that does not work or stand up to th normal rigors of what a stock car/truck goes through.)

Firing their overseas contractor and purchasing more CNC machines, while potentially the answer, is hardly the answer. Considering labor costs in this country alone would likely increase their costs 10-fold, and thus they'd be out of business before the first electic bill hit their mailbox. You might be willing to pay more, but honestly how many of your buddies would as well? My guess, not as many as you think. That's why there are so many nich companies in this country serving such a small nich of the RC market - if the industry and jobs could have stayed here they would have, but it's why Associated and Losi and literally all the major brands now have their cars manufactured overseas. We've priced ourselves out of our own market.
Well, there are many sucessful and thriving companies who have their own tooling and machinery to make RC stuff. Granted they are top dollar, but they are in business and they do not cost ten times more than the chinese junk. For example, the Rossi engines are build, machined, and assembled all by them. They do not outsource their engine manufacture nor do they take the cheap route and buy chinese junk to resell. Look at all the successful and great Rossi engines: NovaRossi, Sirio, GRP. Yes, a Rossi engine is very expensive. Buy you can buy a powerhouse GRP .28ci engine for $380. A chinese made (actually from taiwan I believe) is $114. Yes the STS D28M is only a third of the GRP price, but the GRP is nowhere near the ten fold cost you are claiming.

Though the STS price is very very appealing as compared to the GRP price, the GRP will have very very few of the problems the STS will. Simply do a search on STS engines and you will find many who have had some serious problms with STS engines taht are design, materials, and manufacturer defects. And of course, poor materials cannot be caused by a noob's poor tuning.

My point with the Rossi example is that Integy can become a premier high quality RC parts and options company and not have to rely on chinese companies to make junk to resell. I actually hope they (or some other options parts company) do begin to make their own stuff insteda of reselling chinese junk. So that way, the RC market is not completely filled with junk from companies like 3Racing; I would really like to see some quality and well designed upgrade options availabl, even though them might be more expensive.