Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Which Monster Truck Would You Buy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
Team Associated MGT 8.0
20.11%
HPI Savage XL
28.26%
Traxxas Revo 2008 Platinum Edition
16.85%
CEN Racing GST 7.7 (Genesis Super Truck)
5.98%
CEN Racing Nemesis 7.7
0.54%
Losi LST2
28.26%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Which Monster Truck Would You Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
rclynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Monster Truck Would You Buy?

none of the above [>:] buy a real truck in a kit [:-].........................HPI is one of ther best
Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Xtfreak

Savage XL
Old 06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
NOIC

I know its likely a hike, but head up to Larry's Performance RC's in Sterling Heights. Not only do they stock all you list, they have them out of the box on display so you can touch and see them better. Their prices are also very good, usually beating Tower...
Well worth the trip, binaryterror. Excellent selection. Friendly people. Beats the heck out of MLHS's

Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:44 AM
johnsland8

ORIGINAL: NOIC

I know its likely a hike, but head up to Larry's Performance RC's in Sterling Heights. Not only do they stock all you list, they have them out of the box on display so you can touch and see them better. Their prices are also very good, usually beating Tower...
Well worth the trip, binaryterror. Excellent selection. Friendly people. Beats the heck out of MLHS's

Thanks for the tip.
Well? Have you made a decision???

Inquiring minds want to know....
Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 AM
NOIC

none of the above buy a real truck in a kit .........................HPI is one of ther best
I'd like a kit. From what I can tell the Savage XSS is the one you're talking about. Any idea how it would compare to the XL?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:07 AM
NOIC

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the tip.

Well as you an tell, not yet. It's really hard to decide. It looks like nobody likes CEN Racing so I guess I'll leave them to the side. I looked at the REVO Platimum. It is one cool looking truck with hop ups galore, but the guy at Larry's kept saying "that's more of a race truck" so I got the impression he was suggesting I look at something else. The LS2 wasn't out, but from what I'm reading it's more of a truggy so, while it appears to be the most liked, I am probably leaving that one go as well just because I really want a Truck. I think I'm down to either the Savage XL (unless someone knows more about the kit XSS and how it compares to the XL) or the REVO Platimum. Do you suppose we can mix them and get a hybrid?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:00 AM
phast46

one thing is...i would get the lst2.....its bigblock...and theres plenty of room to work with on it you can go out and buy like any hopup and not have to worry if it will fit..the revo on the other hand.... 1/10 scale...and everything is crammed also its only a .20...And a savage i drive my cousins all the time...and he likes it he does afterrun procerdures and everything although after 2 months his engine doesnt "go" like it used too.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Sugafree

The LS2 wasn't out, but from what I'm reading it's more of a truggy so, while it appears to be the most liked, I am probably leaving that one go as well just because I really want a Truck.
The LST2's a Monster Truck..............Just because it can hang with truggy's .......Don't make it a Truggy

It'll Bash with if not better than Any Truck out there.....

Old 06-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Lilredmachine

*gasps*

An upside down Savage! Never happened before, that one.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Snaut Rocket

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the tip.

Well as you an tell, not yet. It's really hard to decide. It looks like nobody likes CEN Racing so I guess I'll leave them to the side. I looked at the REVO Platimum. It is one cool looking truck with hop ups galore, but the guy at Larry's kept saying "that's more of a race truck" so I got the impression he was suggesting I look at something else. The LS2 wasn't out, but from what I'm reading it's more of a truggy so, while it appears to be the most liked, I am probably leaving that one go as well just because I really want a Truck. I think I'm down to either the Savage XL (unless someone knows more about the kit XSS and how it compares to the XL) or the REVO Platimum. Do you suppose we can mix them and get a hybrid?
the revo platinum is more of a truggy than all the other ones.
And the savage ss kit would be a good start.
Lets you get to know the truck in side and out.
although it does handle like a tank.
I still say lst2.
Theoretically if you can control the truck in the air and steer it out of the way of obsticles it wont break. So there fore thats why i would choose the lst2
Old 06-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Clymer122693

ORIGINAL: phast46

one thing is...i would get the lst2.....its bigblock...and theres plenty of room to work with on it you can go out and buy like any hopup and not have to worry if it will fit..the revo on the other hand.... 1/10 scale...and everything is crammed also its only a .20...And a savage i drive my cousins all the time...and he likes it he does afterrun procerdures and everything although after 2 months his engine doesnt "go" like it used too.

Obviously you haven't seen a revo otherwise you would retract your statement about it being 1/10th and everything being crammed in there. My Revo is the same size (little longer and wider wheelbase) as my Savage X SS.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:07 PM
MaddMatt

I had a revo 2.5r and the motor sucked. Traxxas truck will need a new motor first thing, that will be like wasted money. My LHS said savage parts come on a tree like plastic models, you buy all of them to get one part. I personally am in the same boat as you, and I have narrowed it to a new 4908 T-maxx which will be scrapping the motor instantly, an LST based Losi such as Raminator or Aftershock, but you cant change the gear ratio of the pinion/spur gear (that I know of yet) and an MGT And as of right now I'm leaning toward the MGT. Because it looks more realistic and motor may be better.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Snaut Rocket

stay away from a tmaxx.
THe mgt's motor is a charm to tune.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 PM
rclynx

I think I'm down to either the Savage XL (unless someone knows more about the kit XSS and how it compares to the XL) or the REVO Platimum. Do you suppose we can mix them and get a hybrid?
Its one of the easiest kits to put together thats out there. Obvious I'm an XTM guy and I like the Mammoth kit very much but the Savage X SS is probably one the easiest kits there is. I sold 5 of them last year and everyone loved them.......lots of upgrades, good engine and your not stuck with some junk radio and servos that come with all the RTR's
Old 07-08-2008, 11:27 PM
NOIC

Well finally I did. These are all fine trucks. Your opinions and comments were all considered and greatly appreciated. My final decision was the Savage XL. Why?
1. I considerd what I was really going to use it for. Not racing, just bashing. Lots of jumping. Needed speed & power. Wanted big. Wanted to play.
2. I thought about money. While I could afford whatever I wanted, (I always put a stash of $ away to feed my hobby) it didn't make sence to pay for features, etc. that I really didn't need and wouldn't use.
3. I considered quality. I believe some of the ones I didn't choose may be built better, but the Savage is getting great reviews and putting that together with my other reasons still made it a viable choice. There are things I don't like in the Savage if I was looking for a race truck, but this is for playing.
4. I considered convenience. I didn't want to buy a different bump box, or have to buy an engine separately, and even though I enjoy building a kit this is play truck so I just wanted to get to it.

Having said that, IF I were looking for a race truck I think I would have chosen the REVO Platimum. That is a great looking truck and the suspension is really cool, but since this is for playing, the Savage XL won. Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I'm in the market for a Monster Truck and money is not an issue. Your comments would be appreciated in helping me choose which one to buy. I am considering these presently:

Team Associated MGT 8.0
HPI Savage XL
Traxxas Revo 2008 Platinum Edition
CEN Racing GST 7.7 (Genesis Super Truck)
CEN Racing Nemesis 7.7
Losi LST2

Currenty I have an MBX5R Buggy and I love the quality and speed so I'm looking for the same thing in a truck. Speed, Endurance, Quality Any suggestions you can offer, Pro or Con are welcome.
For you, the Revo Plat is the truck you want. With little aftermarket parts, you can fortify it so that it can take just about any lick on the track. Behind the Revo, based on your criterion, the LST would be your second choice. The rest are Basher trucks, not great at handling without alot of mods. The Cenchain (CEN) GST and Nemesis are the same truck, some differences.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Snake_Eyes

Hey, someone else from the glass city, cool!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 PM
SAVAGEBANE

ok you r right about the savage on road. if someone is accustomed to better handling, then the savage is going to dissapoint onroad. remember though he said nothing about onroad(big difference in flat terrain and on road) and that money is not an issue. so, with some suspension upgrades (lcg tvp, wider, lower, better tires) the savage can be much better handling. no one goes into the MT market for "onroad handling".

anyway he probably already made up his mind, i aminterested to know what he got.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
beer=food
Banned

Omg never mind the CEN GST, the mighty FROG owns it ! Go tamia ! hahaha
How can the FROG not be a part of this survey, what w e r e y o u f i n k i n ! ! !
The ultimate in handling, fast as lightning , eats bugs, oi water, jumps, well, its a FROG isnt it, it can leap buildings in a single bound, crud thats superlameduck man, oops, the FROG is just the ultimate machine, and its only 2 generations old, ppfftt, man who even wants a revo or the like after ownin a FROG !
Old 07-10-2008, 03:20 PM
NOIC

Omg never mind the CEN GST, the mighty FROG owns it ! Go tamia ! hahaha
How can the FROG not be a part of this survey, what w e r e y o u f i n k i n ! ! !
The ultimate in handling, fast as lightning , eats bugs, oi water, jumps, well, its a FROG isnt it, it can leap buildings in a single bound, crud thats superlameduck man, oops, the FROG is just the ultimate machine, and its only 2 generations old, ppfftt, man who even wants a revo or the like after ownin a FROG !
I really appreciate all the opinions, but early on I said...
I'm in the market for a Monster Truck
Isn't the Frog a buggy? And 1/10th scale to boot. I have an MBX5R, arguably one of the finest buggies out there, so getting the Tamiya, hmmm... wouldn't that be a step backwards? And even if that were debatable, it's not a truck. Thanks anyway. I love it when someone is passionate about their RC.

ok you r right about the savage on road. if someone is accustomed to better handling, then the savage is going to dissapoint onroad. remember though he said nothing about onroad(big difference in flat terrain and on road) and that money is not an issue. so, with some suspension upgrades (lcg tvp, wider, lower, better tires) the savage can be much better handling. no one goes into the MT market for "onroad handling".
Just to clarify, back a ways I said...
I "do" like my buggy, but that is a different avenue. When I'm running the buggy it is for speed and agility. How fast I can get around the track, etc. What I want in a truck is more bashing I guess. I want to take big jumps without breaking it every time, but I still want it fast.
And finally...
anyway he probably already made up his mind, i aminterested to know what he got.

Well finally I did. These are all fine trucks. Your opinions and comments were all considered and greatly appreciated. My final decision was the Savage XL. Why?
1. I considerd what I was really going to use it for. Not racing, just bashing. Lots of jumping. Needed speed & power. Wanted big. Wanted to play.
2. I thought about money. While I could afford whatever I wanted, (I always put a stash of $ away to feed my hobby) it didn't make sence to pay for features, etc. that I really didn't need and wouldn't use.
3. I considered quality. I believe some of the ones I didn't choose may be built better, but the Savage is getting great reviews and putting that together with my other reasons still made it a viable choice. There are things I don't like in the Savage if I was looking for a race truck, but this is for playing.
4. I considered convenience. I didn't want to buy a different bump box, or have to buy an engine separately, and even though I enjoy building a kit this is play truck so I just wanted to get to it.

Having said that, IF I were looking for a race truck I think I would have chosen the REVO Platimum. That is a great looking truck and the suspension is really cool, but since this is for playing, the Savage XL won.
Yup, I've got it. Not run it yet, but I'm ready. Will I be disappointed? Time will tell, but without all your opinions and comments I certainly would have purchased something that I would be unhappy with. So again, thanks.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
beer=food
Banned

Its cool l was messin around anyways, but good to see you found one of your liking, lm sure you will like it, they all have faults and issue's at times, the savage you have chosen will be a fun toy indeed, so, enjoy !
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 PM
NOIC

Looks like I made my first mistake. I bought an HPI Reverse module because my LHS said it would be easy to install. They didn't carrry them so I ordered on line. Man you have to just about disassemble the whole truck to put it in. Selling that guy on EBay tomorrow. Reverse isn't important enough to spend the time when I could be bashing. Should have done my homework I guess.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:50 AM
BudBud

Just as well, I have four Savages and none of them have reverse. The ones that did broke right away anyway. BB
Old 07-11-2008, 07:02 PM
hot rod 10

LST2 AIGHT IF YOURE A LOSI FAN.BUT, I'LL PUT MY SAVAGE BESIDE ANYONE OF THEM AND SHOW AND PROVE!!YA DIGG
Old 07-11-2008, 07:09 PM
hot rod 10

I've had my reverse 4 about a year and no probs yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.