Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Warhead => Evo => RTX

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Mekong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warhead => Evo => RTX

I have an original warhead. Duratrax sent me a evo upgrade, I have yet to install it. I got sick of working on this truck and its been in the garage for a LONG time now.

I want to give this truck a second chance. So what has changed since the original model after the evo upgrade.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Mekong

Default RE: Warhead => Evo => RTX

::bump::
Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Mekong

::bump::
Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Extreme Crash

I'm no expert but I do have 4 Warheads. One original or was until the last month. The other 3 are in different in between EVo and RTX stages. 2 have the original motors. One of the others has an Axial >28 Spec 1, the other an HPI Nitro star 4.1. All 4 have the race steering kit installed. Three have pulstarts and one the roto start. Gas tanks all RTX or EVO. All have latest bulkheads. One FOC installed RTX axles and carriers, 17mm wheels, etc. I probably have enough parts to almost build another one. If you have the original Warhead definitely install the EVO upgrade kit. Stronger bulkheads, 3 shoe clutch, updated slipper clutch, servo saver and fuel tank. The race steering is worth getting, standard on RTX. FOC is also standard on RTX and can save alot of headaches. Run the truck in race mode or close to it. It handles better and less wear on the shafts. Watch Ebay for parted out RTX's and work from there. I like these trucks and if things break upgrade the parts.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Extreme Crash

Just wanted to add, I bought my first one EVO used on Ebay used for about $200. It was like new not broken in yet. I broke a few parts, my fault, hitting trees at WOT or barrel roles on asphalt without the body on. etc. These things happen, somethings got to give. After a couple of orders from Tower Hobbies, I decided to pick up a parts truck but it was in good shape so I improved on it. The next 2 were meant for parts trucks but again I fixed and improved on them. The last one I got for$65 shipped. And rebuilt for about $35. I plan on using this as the hard core basher and it may end up being a parts truck again. The deals are out there watch for them.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Mekong

The bulkheads I remember are brittle, have you tried the aluminum ones?

Whats the diff between the RTX and EVO gas tank. I have a evo tank and original tank currently.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Extreme Crash

I think the EVO and RTX tanks are the same. I've stayed away from aluminum upgrades. They can cause more damage than the original parts. You probably know more than me about these trucks since you started one of the largest threads on these forums. Does Anyone own a Warhead. Currently at 497 pages. I've seen people post, leave and come back.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Extreme Crash

I was just looking through some other posts and you stated you own a Warhead and RTX. You go onto say "RTX has a horrible chassis design, hard to work on, too heavy, brittle bulkheads, the list goes on and on. " I quess you are not looking for opinions or help. I see no reason for this thread. If you're out to bash the product say so.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 AM
calvino

if your having shattering problems boil the parts for say, 10 minutes, that softens the plastic up... makes it alot tougher [8D]
Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
ALFFA164

Guys, i am an owner of the Warhead Evo - same thing as RTX - and i am sorry to wright this about the truck but after two years i am really tired of it and i think a good warning coming from an experienced driver and actual owner makes more good than bad:

Here it goes... sunday race damage report:

After racing at the track for 4 consecutive sundays i am giving up to this pos. Blown out front diff 2 times and rear 1. When i took them apart they where absolutely worn out. I tested diferent oil weights and even so no good results. Tranny has incredibly hold together, not a single issue at all, i only changed the sliper clutch pad once due to normal wear (even so they wear too fast). Spur gear and clutch bell even look almost like new.

Diffs are a big issue in this truck. After i rebuilt the first front diff everything was very tight and after 3 hours at the track it already had such a big play that i was already waiting for anything to happen. Yesterday i was in the middle of the race and when i had to stop for a refuel the dam thing wouldnt move forward, i was hitting the gas throtle but it wouldnt move... out of the race!!! I had a chance to take it apart right after the race and guess what.... 3 tooth where missing in the front diff gear. Pinion is also worn out, a lot.

I thougth i would never say this after almost 2 years with the truck.... 100% POS, gears are the lowest quality possible and they cant handle the power of a decent engine (LRP.28).

If anyone is looking to initiate in this hobby... please make the effort to get a better truck because this thing will represent a much higher cost at mid and long term, starting with that crappy engine it comes with, it has to be replaced almost after opening the box. Those who own the truck for a while understand what i am talking about.

I guess how that "new" version has come up.... RTX.... racing machine? I doubt!!!!

I am moving forward, a nice M u g e n M B X 6 b u g g y is the way to go, ive seen them at the track quite a while and those thigns are bullet proof tanks crossed with space rocket flying capabilities. I am taking out the LRP engine which is an extreme great engine, all of my new electronics (high quality and performers) and trowing them into my new choice.

Believe me... this is not being writen just with anger... this is writen after more than two years of owning the truck and wrenching in it many many nights and weekends and after spending more than $2K on it. With this money i could have already bought a nice decent Baja with many spares included.

By the way... chassis tends to bend after landing from a tripple jump.

Totally dissapointed! Newbies.... dont even waste your time in this truck.