Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

RC motorcycle: is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 11:00 AM
tjaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC motorcycle: is it worth it?

I was thinking of getting me an RC motorcycle. I went to a few stores, and found it rather diffcult to find one selling motorcycles. I was told that those things where way too much unstable. Even the smallest rock would throw it out of balance. I watched a few movies on te net, and the bikes seemed to perform well though. Is there anyone out there willing to share his personal experience? Are motorcycles really unstable? Are they hard to drive? Do they brake easy?
I found a store selling a 1:5 Graupner motorcycle. Any comments on those?

Thx,
Nick
Old 09-25-2003, 11:27 AM
BACKEMF

Default RE: RC motorcycle: is it worth it?

Hi my friend,
I have been into R/C for 20 years and wanted a Motorcycle for that long. When I was in my local hobby shop last week I saw "High Torque's" "R/C CAR" Magazine and low and behold on the front was my little dream... A decent R/C MotorBike. At 1/5th Scale it's just awsome! the one they show has a zillion mods by: crazynutracing.com
But the main bike is available at Warehouse Hobbies online at about $229.00 US
As soon as I get the cash next week one is mine for shure! It's completely modifiable.
It takes any car 05 can motor and speed control. I have had chances in the past to buy the Kyosho 1/8th, 1/10th or 1/12th scale (not sure) but they seem like toys and require specialized electronics for operation. The other is what you mentioned but again is very limited to modification and is closer to a toy. Now that said the Thunder Tiger FM-1e is my next Purchase for shure and I race Fast Electric R/C boats! I am gunna sell a few to get some cash to totally trick out the FM-1e. Hey surf Like I did and see the review in 2001 R/C Car Action of the stock unit. I am hooked!
Crazy Canuck Out![:-]
Hey dude if you are in Belgium, then look around in Germany and the U.K. for some other sites. Also Crazy nut Racing sells a German Gas power 1/5th scale Bike on thier site.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:04 PM
BACKEMF

Take a look at the other posts in this forum. I just posted Pictures of the Bike I am Talking about.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38367.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	63620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md94892.gif
Views:	69
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	63621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx59927.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	63622  
Old 09-26-2003, 03:02 AM
tjaf

Hey,

That motorcycle really looks cool, I'm looking in to it. Let us know if you have yours. It seems a little bit more expensive than I had planned. I see that you get a lot of quality, but is it wise to buy an expensive first bike? Or are they durable enough to withstand beginners use
Old 09-26-2003, 05:14 AM
BACKEMF

The key is to NOT drive them on the street. Curbs are your enemy. If you have nothing to hit you can't break it right? I realize in Belgium there is limited areas to run but am I silly to say get on the Euro-train to Germany for a race or 2??
If you hit anything solid with any R/C vehicle at 40- 60 KM/H, it will do damage. From the few video's I saw of this, it handles very well. You may want to start off with the Kyosho but you will first have to build it ( half the fun) then if it's no fast enough you are very limited to the mods you can do and there are a couple of those on Ebay right now and tons of accessories to mod it out. BUT....the mods for this bike are more for looks than function, you see the hop up parts are all cast aluminum, making the little bike heavier!! then you need the 28BB motor to get it back to speed. All the while the price starts creeping up to the price of the FM-1e. On Ebay the Kyosho is about $70.00 US dollars, the RX/ESC combo "Special" unit made only for this bike is also about $70.00 US, then the special battery "600Mah NiCad" is about 30.00 US. Lastly you will need a transmitter (Futaba Only) to go with it. You decide what you want for your money a
25cm long bike or a 45cm long bike that you can throw any r.c car motor into?
I should get paid by Thunder Tiger for all this advertising I am doing. I have heard of 3 people in the Metro-Toronto Canada area that are happy with their's.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:31 AM
Anderson

Tjaf,
Buy the graupner 1/5 scale they are lots of fun and super stable.
A little rock will not topple your R/C bike slow speed will. Your bike is happiest with a little speed.

I started with the Graupner bikes, myself and my brother, would race them.
It's a different skill you'll learn with the R/C motorcycles which I'm sure you'll appreciate.

I have two graupner bikes, one thundertiger FMe1 and two Kyosho HOR still in the box. Buy far the best bang for the buck were the Graupners at around 100 bucks at the time.

Anderson
Old 09-26-2003, 08:24 AM
tjaf

Thx all for the info. I also came to the conclusion that the kyosho bike is probably not the best solution for me. I also drive an electric off road car, but with the Kyosho bike I can't use the same stick packs, and the same 27MHz AM transmitter. And since I have to rely on summer-jobs (still student) to pay for my hobbies, I have to count every dime twice There's a quite large parking lot nearby where I drive my nitro on-road car. The pavement is rather new, and quite flat, so I hope that 'll do. Too bad the Kyosho bike is one of the only building kits I have seen yet.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:28 AM
tjaf

@Anedrson: The graupner comes with a motor and ESC already fitted, right? Is the performance acceptable? You have any idea of top speed?
Old 09-26-2003, 10:46 AM
BACKEMF

But how modifiable is the Graupner? and is your FM-1e Stock or modified, and with what motor. Sorry for all the questions but I am soon to sink cash into a FM-1e. And Mod it like crazy.
Stability at low speeds as I have seen in a video or two seems to be pretty good if not the same as with the Kyosho HOR, I have never seen the Graupners run.
But like I said before I am a racer (electric) and am looking for a bike that can really boogie!!
You see I lost my ability to ride a sport bike while racing in Canada, The Yamaha RZ350Cup Race Series back in 1990. Since then I have been waiting patiently for a serious R/C Race Bike even though there is no club in the area. I already know of 3 guys that own these bikes and they have nothing bad to say about them. Hopfully we can start a small race club.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:33 PM
Element

where can you get a graupner online?sounds like a good deal
Old 09-26-2003, 07:59 PM
jdl3000
My Feedback: (1)

can you help me find Graupner bikes
hobby shop in here only offer thunder tiger fm1e
any place or website
apreciate it thanx
Old 09-27-2003, 02:38 AM
Jitters
My Feedback: (28)

Ray, about your 3 photos, what bike is the center one (with the graphite side plates)?? And.. are these bikes the ones you say are at crazynut?? Thanks!
Old 09-28-2003, 08:45 PM
BACKEMF

The Pictures are all of the FM-1e in stock to totally modified like the one you said in Carbon fibre. The bottom pic' is a totally tricked out FM-1e and that is what I plan to do with one when I get it. IT comes with a hefty price tag this major mod goes for $300.00 to 400 US to get to that point and that still doesn't include a motor or ESC. There is alot of difference between the stock and one tricked out by Crazy Nut. The full mod would make the bike close to 1/2 it's Stock weight meaning Much faster for given power input.
I have been in contact with Crazy Nut and they seem to be enthusiastic about cutting a deal if you do a large upgrade"kit" All at once. So soon (in 3-4 weeks) I will have a
FM-1e and stuff to trick it out, still haven't decided on motor and ESC yet but I have alot around the house to play with. Their are 2 or 3 for bidding on Ebay right now but I will most likely buy new.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Anderson

tjaf,
Sorry fro the delay in response.
graupner not upgradable except for painting or maybe lowering suspension.
Graupner is built arround a circuit board that handles all the R/C aspects . Top is a possible 15mph and thats it. Run time is about 20 minutes.
It's a toy but a fun one.

Old 09-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Jitters

Holy cow, the price does rise pretty sharply when you want it to be a racer. Guess I'll have to start selling a 'copter soon. [&o]
Old 09-29-2003, 12:19 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: ray schrauwen

The Pictures are all of the FM-1e in stock to totally modified like the one you said in Carbon fibre. The bottom pic' is a totally tricked out FM-1e and that is what I plan to do with one when I get it. IT comes with a hefty price tag this major mod goes for $300.00 to 400 US to get to that point and that still doesn't include a motor or ESC. There is alot of difference between the stock and one tricked out by Crazy Nut. The full mod would make the bike close to 1/2 it's Stock weight meaning Much faster for given power input.
I have been in contact with Crazy Nut and they seem to be enthusiastic about cutting a deal if you do a large upgrade"kit" All at once. So soon (in 3-4 weeks) I will have a
FM-1e and stuff to trick it out, still haven't decided on motor and ESC yet but I have alot around the house to play with. Their are 2 or 3 for bidding on Ebay right now but I will most likely buy new.

for esc to keep the weight down, look at the new quantum 2, read a review about it and it changes the frequency to what is best in its current running state, itll switch to give u acceloration or top speed depending where the rev is on the engine pricey, but the best!
Old 09-29-2003, 05:42 PM
BACKEMF

Thanks for the info on the speed control, where to look? or just Google like everything else?
Old 09-29-2003, 05:50 PM
BACKEMF

Is this what you mean:
If so I think this is not enough for a 10 or 9 turn mod motor and gp3300's
What do you think?

Features Rec. Motor Limit no limit (with 180 size motor)
Voltage Input 4-7 cells (4.8-8.4V)
Typical voltage drop 0.075V@10A
Rated Current 25A
BEC 5.0V
Drive Frequency 2100Hz
Reverse yes
Protection system 3-way
Connectors Standard Micro style
Weight 11.0g
Case size about 1" x 1" (tabs are about 3/16")
Old 09-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Tucson01
My Feedback: (1)

Best bang for your buck!

http://www.internet-rc.com/15scalnitpow.html

Nuova Faor $499

Completely made from computer cut Ergal and Aluminum
Aluminum gas tank
Rear muffler included (Optional titanium muffler)
Front disk brake
Ergal shoulder sides
Length: 16"
Height: 10"
8 ball bearings
Steel crown
Fork made from one single block
Solid aluminum wheels
Servo plates
Rear hydraulic shock absorber
Front Hydraulic shock absorbers
Fairing, body and Lexan driver included
Engraved tires
Full decal set
Preconfigured for Picco or Novarossi 2.1cc engine

NF Engine .12 made by Novarossi for Motorcycle $169
Old 09-30-2003, 01:50 PM
BACKEMF

Thank You but, I already know about that bike. I like it except that IT IS GAS. I am Strictly an electric kinda guy. If it's under 1/4 Scale I won't go gas. It is not worth the amount of hassle for Gas but my perspective is like this since I never got into gas. Went to one R/C Gas Boat Race, came home with little hearing left, a blinding headache from the fumes and I stunk like Nitro, Not Fun Plus I am in a wheel chair, that makes it tough too, and lastly I live in an apartment. No Good, But Thanks Anyway.
The Nuova Faor is the same Basic Chassis as the FM-1e but the main difference is a gas engine it obviously produces more power than a Electric car motor to most of the time**
I will post more on the FM-1e after I get one and find a motor for it. I could go on for hours. BY THE WAY, Crazy Nut Racing has that bike on sale for less at $450.00 US approx. no engine of course.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Jitters

Watch out ladies, Ray is an "electric kind of guy" !
Old 09-30-2003, 02:18 PM
BACKEMF

I like you Jitters, you make me laugh!
Actually I have asperations to make the FM-1e a 9 cell Hacker Brushless Motor monster, just to chase the Gassers. If I want gas I will eat at Mc Donalds Thanks.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:54 PM
Jitters

"make the FM-1e a 9 cell Hacker Brushless Motor monster"
That would be so cool. Novak or Hacker. I cannot see why brushed motors just get dropped all together. Brushless is the way to go. But some are afraid of change.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:21 PM
nitrofreak74

i really would like one of those FM-1e i saw on the front of my mag the other week and i love it but i think electric sux and nitro is the way to go cause i wont some awesome power so it will stand straight up. So i will wait till i find a nitro streetbike.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Jitters

Power? Power you say, well my son, it's the gyroscopic effect of the wheels that keeps it up. More than I can say for myself at this age
If you've seen the current brushlees motors out there you'll be pretty convinced that they are fast fast fast.
The only thing I see for nitro is a Nuova Faor (Italian) for $500 designed for a .12-.15 engine, or a Pumilio (Finnish) for $700 designed for a .21
Power and acceleration really are not interchangeable terms. What I look for, and this is personal taste, is a realistic looking model. If I were a machinist, or on speaking terms with my father-in-law, I would have one built from a design of a Ducati

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.