Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

nitro fuel spitting out of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Tfrank3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro fuel spitting out of exhaust

Is it normal for fuel to spit out of your nitro rc exhaust? The car seems to run fine, just didn't know if the fuel spitting out of the exhaust was cause for alarm or change in either high or low idle needle.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most likely it is not fuel, but oil and that is normal. But excessive oil means a rich mixture. If you are comfortable with the way it reacts and it's top speed, I'd say leave it alone unless you know what you are doing. You could burn up the motor if you do something incorrectly. If you are feeling adventurous, you could try leaning (closing) the high speed needle a click or two at a time and run around the track a few laps between adjustments to see how it feels. And most importantly feel the temperature of the engine and do not let it get too high. I'm more experienced in helicopter engines and 210F is about the sweet spot for helicopters. Not sure about the sweet spot for cars.

Rafael
Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Tfrank3

OK thanks man. I'm new to the nitro RC world. I will tinker a little bit with the high needle idle knob to see if that changes anything. I know the idle needles are sensitive, so I will only lean the motor a small amount.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Cowboy420

Originally Posted by Tfrank3
OK thanks man. I'm new to the nitro RC world. I will tinker a little bit with the high needle idle knob to see if that changes anything. I know the idle needles are sensitive, so I will only lean the motor a small amount.
If you don't have a temperature gauge you may want to get one, they aren't that expensive. Most nitro engines are ok up to 280 degrees or so.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what brand fuel are you using?
if its something like Traxxas Top Fuel that stuff is overloaded with oil and spits a ton out. When I used that stuff you could see exactly where my nitro drove for the most part as there was a continuous line of oil where ever it went.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Tfrank3

The fuel brand is Sidewinder. It's a 20% pro blend/10% mixture. Its what my local rc store sells.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:13 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally normal to have oil spitting out the pipe, infact its better than not having it. If you run it too lean and don't see this happening you stand the chance of overheating the engine and splitting a rod or seizing it. Speaking from experience. Certain engines like the Trx 3.3 need to be run pig rich to maintain a good heat level and avoid rod/piston damage. Obtaining an infared temp gauge is highly recommended.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 AM
arino

Default Tmaxx restoration

I have an old Tmaxx that I am restoring. the major add is the new 2.5R engine. I am considering taking some tubing and running the exhaust output out the back from the stock side mount pipe. I'm also changing the hubs to 17mm and putting on a set of 3.8 proline mashers. If anyone has any tips or input on this please let me know.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Cowboy420

Originally Posted by arino
I have an old Tmaxx that I am restoring. the major add is the new 2.5R engine. I am considering taking some tubing and running the exhaust output out the back from the stock side mount pipe. I
Personally I think that's a bad idea, changing the length of your exhaust output will seriously screw up your engine tune.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:19 PM
arino

Any other ideas on how not to get oil all over the right rear of the truck?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

You can use an exhaust diverter. Most of the time they don't affect performance. Otherwise not really. Adding any tubing of sorts beyond a couple inches long changes the tuning range of the exhaust system and can cause a range of tractability problems.

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...FeZAMgod-hYAdA
Old 03-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Cowboy420

Originally Posted by arino
Any other ideas on how not to get oil all over the right rear of the truck?
Just clean it when you're finished, it only takes 5 minutes. Denatured alcohol+spray bottle+rag+ air compressor = clean nitro rig.