Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Mine is better than yours

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Mastec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine is better than yours

I have been reading these forums for sometime now. Reason being is I am getting back into the R/C hobbie after a 15 year break. I wanted to see whats what in stadium trucks now compared to then. I read thru here and see everyone bashing the other, this and that breaks too easy. That truck is too slow, get my truck and so on. I went to my local track recently to get a first hand look at what is being driven. There were Losi's, RC10's and Evader's all running together. Each those models broke 2 or more parts in the 3 hours I sat there watching the races. The shop carried equal amount of parts to fix all the trucks. So I really dont believe one truck is better than the other, its just a matter of preference and how much money you are willing to spend. I met one unhappy young man who bought a Losi xxxnt, said he bought it because of peer pressure. Thats just not right, you should be able buy what you want without having to worry about being rideculed for your choices.

After seeing all the heats, the final and talking to local racers, I have made the decision to buy the Nitro Evader ST. I am also getting my 3 kids an Evader ST each. BTW, I am no noob to racing. I owned an RC10 conversion when ST's hit the scene and a modified Blackfoot, each with around 16-17 1st place wins in the 8 months I raced before giving it up. Everyone needs to realize that what works for some people might not work for others. Decision needs to be based on preference, not peer pressure.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 03-07-2004, 08:52 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default RE: Mine is better than yours

Everyone needs to realize that what works for some people might not work for others. Decision needs to be based on preference, not peer pressure.
AMEN BROTHA!!
Ram
Old 03-07-2004, 09:02 AM
crazyswede

You are absolutely right. Every truck has it weak point's and fact is that if you buy a RTR base on price your gonna end up with more plastic. That's not a bad thing, but if your gonna jump off your second floor deck over your pool and land on the driveway well..........you might break something. All these truck's are capable of some kick ***** times. As your part's break you buy better ones. My son has an Evader and as soon as we replaced the front and rear hub's and the rear shock tower with aluminum the reliability increase was dramatic. If your gonna be runnin your car plus your three kid's you might just wanna leave your car in the box
Old 03-07-2004, 09:48 AM
MotorPsyko

Good for you =)

Weclome back to the hobby and I hope you enjoy your evaders. Despite all the problems I've had with mine I still love it.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Nitro Napalm

Your so so so true mate. Peer pressure can really be a b****. I experienced it myself before buying my first ever nitro RC. Some were saying get on-road and the others saying get the savage. i didn't want on-road because i (myself) would of found it boring. Also i couldn't get the savage as it was too much. In the end i found what was made for me - the HPI MT2. I find that it is a great truck for me. it fits all the points that suit me. And in the end , yeah, it's what suits you. No RC is better than the other - as someone said in the topic - ALL trucks have there weak points. and remember 'It's not how you stand by your car, It's how you race your car'
Old 03-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Scottie C

I agree with all of this.. but i have a question, aluminum is stronger and much more durable, but is it bad to use in racing because of the weight increase?
Old 03-07-2004, 11:10 AM
flyingjibus

its heavier and it bends. in racing it is better to have a rigid geomatry that doesn't flex or change. keeps the car predictable.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:08 PM
skydalimit
My Feedback: (1)

i beg to differ, aluminum DOES BEND, but think about what you would have to do to bend it, if you have a powerful engine, and weight really isnt too much of a problem, just set your suspension for the added weight and race it knowing that if a alumunum piece does bend then you proobably would have spent the same amount on plastic parts because you would have broke so many, i havent found a guy with a full rctrix xxx-nt that he didnt like, the only thing i would be weery about would be the a-arms, but like i said, if you can bend an aluminum a-arm, then you probably would have broke quite a few plastic parts that would equal or exceed the price of the arm,

also, if you just ben a a-arm, itll still be there to finish the race as good as you can, at lease you wont be out of that main

personally, im gonna buy a rpm bumper and aluminum batery box for my xxx-nt and see how tough it is, i already have a few spare a-arms, so im gonna use them up, if i do use all of them with the bumper, then im gonna go full aluminum, but so far i have only broke one a-arm, and in that crash, i should be lucky that it was all that broke
Old 03-07-2004, 12:15 PM
flyingjibus

yah the arms or shock towers are the only thing that really gonna bend. you would be suprised how easy it is to tweak an aluminum arm. I would prefer to break a plstic over bending alum. when the plastic is broken you know its broken. with aluminum you just end up with randomly whaacked out geometry. as for other parts alum is just fine
Old 03-07-2004, 12:25 PM
skydalimit
My Feedback: (1)

well, i dont know what parts you are talking about, but the shock towers made my rctrix fot the xxx-nt dont look like they will be bending any time soon, if i buy one and bend it then im just gonna sell my xxx-nt, lol

as far as the a-arms, im a little iffy on them, but as long as i can stay together during the race
Old 03-07-2004, 05:30 PM
ericheller

haha, peer pressure. that is about the stupidest reason to buy something. btw which truck won that race you went to? i doubt it was an evader. if you plan to race a rtr would be a stupid decision.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Sypro

dont listen to anyone on what truck to get find out info on the net and goto a local track. find a truck that suites your wants.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Mastec

ORIGINAL: ericheller

haha, peer pressure. that is about the stupidest reason to buy something. btw which truck won that race you went to? i doubt it was an evader. if you plan to race a rtr would be a stupid decision.
My point exactly, comments like that is what keeps people from buying what they want and have fun with. I am getting back into it just to have fun with my kids and show them what this hobbie was meant to be when it was started. To have fun with your friends and not worry if you have the most expensive or the most popular toy on the block. They are going to grow up knowing they had fun and thats what counts.

BTW, your so smart. Tell the local hobbie shop owners here that racing RTR's would be a stupid decision. They are selling the hell out of the Losi, RC10 and the Evader RTR's to introduce the hobbie to local kids and adults. I dont know where you are from but here they dont care who has what, here racing is done in the name of fun and not who has the most expensive toys.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:03 AM
jwren00

I have a guy at my track that races his xxx-nt with all aluminum parts. From his a arms to his shock towers to his battery holder to his custom milled triple shock front end, the thing is all aluminum. It's really heavy, but the weight makes it so stable and durable that it wins every single 10th scale race, and I've never seen it break. I'm a big fan of aluminum, but I would never really make my car like that because it costs so much money. I think it's going a little overboard. I bet he spent atleast $1500 setting his car up like that, it's crazy.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:39 AM
MotorPsyko

ORIGINAL: ericheller

Eric is smart and knowledgeable I'll give him that much. I think where Eric and people like him go wrong is that they assume everyone wants to be competition class, especially when they see the word "race" mentioned in any post. While being totally competitive may bee fun for you racer guys, some people just want thier vehicles to work and just race for fun with thier friends.

Theres absoulty no need to put someone down becuase they just want something that they don't have to put together or buy a pile of extra stuff just to be able to have it run.

It's exactly that kind of elitist attitude that I talked about in another post that discourages people from even taking up the hobby.

I don't mean to flame you Eric, I respect your experince and knnowledge of the hobby. Just making a point that not everyone wants to be as serious as you are about the hobby
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Mastec

Some may prefer to build a car/truck from the ground up so they know how it works, or to feel more superior, but I dont find it that exciting anymore. I would prefer someone else do the work because I already know how these things operate. When I raced I spent enough time taking apart and putting together my vehicles that I dont feel the need to do it unless I really have to.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Dwain77

Good point Mastec. I'm brand new to nitro RC's, and I love it! And finding this forum was great too, as I have it up nearly all day at work reading anything I can about RC's. Although I am glad that I did my own research and checked with the LHS before I found this site. If I had found this site first I'd probably still be debating on what to buy based on threads here, as there is no clear winner of any truck out there. I'm glad I went with my research and bought a xxx-nt. Maybe not the best, maybe it is....but I love this thing. [8D]
Old 03-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Mastec

Good for you ...It should not matter what make and model it is to anyone except to the person buying the truck. As long as you are happy with it and it does what you want it too. To each their own...
Old 03-08-2004, 10:03 AM
RayRayraycer20

Mastec,
I have had my evader for about two weeks now.Have got about a quart thru it....and its a blast!! you will have alot of fun with your kids. I am very happy with my purchase.No regrets! The one year warranty does'nt hurt either.Let us know how it goes.
Alot of these guys can be great help when you have questions. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2004, 05:04 PM
ericheller

i didnt mean to say that you have to be serious and get a kit or anything, i just figured that he pry plans to race competitively and in that case a xxx nt drake edition, or rc10 gt factory built truck and a good .12 would set the guy up to win. and thanks for saying im smart.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Mastec

I dont know if this has been posted, I searched and found nothing. But the Losi XX-T graphite shock towers fit on the Evader plus many more parts will swap between the two.