Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

SCREW NITRO!! I HATE IT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:55 PM
cetme308

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SCREW NITRO!! I HATE IT!

I jumped into the nitro world with no experience. I must say that if I didnt have a friend who helped tune me up, I'd really have a different view of the whole thing. So, if you dont have a friend with experience, befriend the dude at the lhs. And for the record, I spend about 90% bashing and 10% with the wrench. [8D]
Old 04-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Goaferboy

i still cant see the attraction of charging a battery pack for god knows how long for the same run time as a tank of nitro. oyu can run a nitro car all day with a decent amount of fuel but your limited to 20-30 minutes with electric (dont quote me on those figures)
Old 04-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Kemo

The only drawbacks (not only, but a big one) in nitro is that there are still batteries to charge up. I am tryin to find a good deal on nimh's to throw in my radio... anyone know a good brand thats decent priced?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:47 PM
EdsWords

In order to truly 'run all day' you would need a receiver pack that lasts 4-8 hours. What you really mean is you can run tank after tank for a few hours and then you need to charge up your receiver pack for who knows how long.

After a year or two, when all of those gallons of nitro feul have been spent, guys who run electric you will have accumulated several packs. Some will not be good for racing but still have plenty of power left for practice.

Somebody with 5 3300 packs can easily be running for 30 - 40 minutes each hour. I know, that is not as good as nitro, but, I'm not exactly sitting on my hands either.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:35 PM
cetme308

I still got the same 8 AA batteries in my radio for four weeks, full power level too. Guess you need more juice for that fancy lcd display, eh. [&:] And yes, I've been bashing nearly every day for 30-120 minutes. My venom 1100nimh's charge stays good for days and only takes 25 minutes to charge.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Goaferboy

yeah my batteries last for ages in the reciever/handset. but with electric you still have to charge the drive batteries on top of handset ones so theres still more to charge. thats why i prefer pull start nitro to other starting methods. the less to charge the better
Old 04-14-2005, 08:26 PM
spazzyfry123

Hmm...You are whining because you couldn't get your car to tune. Okay, then switching to electric would be the choice if you can't tune properly. But then again, an electric can crash just as easy as your nitro, so if you can't come up with the funds (that's all this hobby is. face it, these things break) you may want to back out of R/C. I am 15 as well. But I have 4 different cars; two of which are nitro and well you can do the math for the electrics. You said you only ran it like 7 times...and you give up after 7 runs?! Bleh, nothing's perfect and if you can't handle what is required for the hobby, then you should look for a new one haha. Funds are an issue for people our age, but I found a way to beat the system: I got a job[8D]. Now that I have entered the work world I have fun with my hobby and my actual car and I am actually about to buy another R/C (Serpent 905-R). So I mean if you aren't having fun with R/C-ing, try getting a job or just go out and mow people's lawns to support it.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:37 AM
ffirg

or you can get ur parents to buy you the car itself, and save up enough money for maitenence. (ie. ME, lol.) but yeah, ive had an electric pede for a few months now, and i already fried an esc, 2 batteries(cheap ones so i really dont care). I still think they're a lot of fun, but I'm switching to nitro VERY soon. I am up to the work. I have a few buddies with nitro cars already so i have plenty of help. Electrics are very fun still, but if you read the posts above about the costs of the batts, charger, esc, motor etc. they will cost a little more or about the same as nitro depending on how you want your truck to perform.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:59 AM
MONSTARUSTA

You guys really need to stop picking at the kid! Think of this a nitro cost 15 bucks for a gallon of 15%(I run nitro airplans) and you get maybe 25 runs out of it and with new nimh batteies you can push out 250 runs with out a performance loss! Also burshless is cheaper in the long run and Its only 20-30 bucks more expensive after you figure to run a brushed setup(esc, motor,lathe=250 esaily)for good equipment and a LRP/Sphere 3-star is 250.00 you are really saving money thier!

SO WHAT IS BETTER ABOUT NITRO AGAIN? OH, YOU GUYS JUST LIKE SPENDING MONEY!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:50 AM
loadingpleasewait

You bring up a thread that's been dead for a year. I think they stopped picking on the kid. Electric is ok as long a you don't mind waiting before you run again.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Nitro Fumes

I guess you've been doing this on your own and have no one to help you. If that's the case you'll have as much trouble with electric. But if you have someone who is experienced and knows what they are doing to help you, then you won't have any trouble because nitro really isn't difficult. And some of your problems were radio related too. That has nothing to do with whether you run nitro or electric.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:50 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: nbcaznmaster

DUDE, SCREW NITRO! I HATE IT! IT TOOK ME 2 MONTHS TO EVEN GET MY CAR STARTED. THEN IT TOOK ME ANOHTER MONTH JUST TO BE ABLE TO RUNN IT. THEN WHEN TODAY WHEN I GET THE CAR STARTED, AFTER I MOVED 3 FEET, THE CAR WENT CRAZY ADN DROVE AWAY. I CHASSED AFTER IT AND THEN I TRIPPED. I DROPED MY TX 10 FEET AWAY SCRATCHIGN THE HELL OUT OF IT. MY CAR GOT ITS LOWER CAHSIS SCREWED UP, SHOCK CAP MEESSED UP AND BUMPER IS SCREWED. FRONT BULKHEAD IS CRAPI SPENT OVER 300 ON NITRO CARS AND IT GOT SCREWED UP. THERE ARE NO REASONS WHY IT DIDNT WORK. I CHARGED UP THE BATTERY THE NIGHT BEFORE. SHOULD I QUIT NITRO AND MOVE TO ELECTRIC? IM NOT SURE IM A NITRO GUY.
first off, good job not calling Traxxas' tech support.

Second off, same as the first.

Third off, good job NOT CHARGING THE RECEIVER PACK.

Fourth, Have a nice trip? See ya next fall!

bottoms of rc cars getting scraped up is part of life, deal with it.

quit nitro, we don't like you in the nitro forums anyway j/k

and, seventh off, QUIT TYPING IN ALL CAPS, IT OFFENDS MY BRAIN.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:58 AM
gkcx

I give any 15 year old credit for trying nitro. Especially if the kids got no help. I happen to like nitro better. It's definetly harder but thats what I like about it. The fumes, the sound ahhhhhh
I cant wait till the race season starts here.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:33 PM
redfox03

sometimes i feel like giving up my nitro, well actually i just set it down for like 20 minutes, go eat a sandwich, and come back and solve what ever problem it was giving me. works 99.9% of the time. thinking of getting a mini electric heli just to have something in the house to run, but i'm for sure getting another nitro.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:37 PM
jpep

Wow nothing like a 3 year old thread to scare the crap out of a newb. I just bought my first nitro, I'll have it on Friday. Is starting a nitro really that hard, I mean how many adjustments can you make. This is the 3rd thread I've read on internet where it took someone a month to get their car started. Anyways I bought a hpi mt2 4wd paid a little over $200 and that's with shipping. Any hint or tips anyone has on what to do with the truck first thing (other than read manual and watch DVD).
Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM
stevensj

just for the record, i didn't have anybody show me how to tune, ive worked on car engines alot, and getting the idea of running rich and running lean is very simple, if you just ask on here about tuning, ANYONE will help you. Electrics are fun if you have a couple or a few charged up battery packs...ive seen some crazy brushless emaxxes before...i bet they would be a LOT of fun with a few fully charged battery packs
Old 03-21-2006, 03:59 PM
tadracket
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jpep

Wow nothing like a 3 year old thread to scare the crap out of a newb. I just bought my first nitro, I'll have it on Friday. Is starting a nitro really that hard, I mean how many adjustments can you make. This is the 3rd thread I've read on internet where it took someone a month to get their car started. Anyways I bought a hpi mt2 4wd paid a little over $200 and that's with shipping. Any hint or tips anyone has on what to do with the truck first thing (other than read manual and watch DVD).
Did you get electric start with that? I have been playing with nitro for years and tuned or not, if it don't have electric start, don't give it to me. I am getting to old to pull my brains out.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:13 PM
RON F

That is the place to start,it's also a plus if you can find someone experienced to help.
Maybe at your local hobby shop and track.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:35 PM
NitroRunner

Doesnt sound like nitro is your thing, I run 3 nitros and im 15... I like to tune the engines to perfection and do maintanance on them, but maybe its not for you. Good luck
Old 03-21-2006, 04:42 PM
1Nightrider1

hey im 12 i understand alot of thing about nitro. im trying to fix sumtin now but just dont understand soldering irons lol.
ORIGINAL: GT-Power

you just had a bad day. Buy a failsafe and a throttle return spring. Before you run your car check over everything including your radio system. It may take more time but you have found out abot hassles. This is also let you know the condition of your truck. Also every time before you run check over all the screws and put loctite on all metal to metal fasteners. Also sometimes put a drop of CA on screws that wont want to stay in and put a dab of shor-goo over hinge pin E-clips of keep them in place.

Nitro truck are alot of work. there is no getting around that. But if you stay on top of the things I mentioned to you you should have no trouble with malfunctions sir. Also if you are having alot of trouble tuning go to the local hobby shop and have them show you the ropes of your truck. Also keep the same fuel and nitro content. If you change fuel often your carb will always be out of whack. Get one fuel and use that as long as it works well.

Now whats your age? If you are under 16 many people reccomend not to start nitro until that age. I cant blame them. Most kids under 16 dont understand enough about their cars and just get mad and give up. If this is the case sell your truck or just clean it up, put after run oil in the engine-take the springs off the shocks, put vaseline on the shock seals and rubber peices and let it sit until you are a little older and feel more competent to run your truck.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:48 PM
1Nightrider1

the only thing that i will ever go to electric is helicopters and planes. maybe when i get better at it and understand more then ill go to nitro helicopters and planes. but i love nitro cars so far. trust me ur gonn aget frustrated like i did the first time i tried to start it. took me 5 hours to figure out what was wrong. dont give up on nitro though its really fun once u get used to it. oh and enjoyment boy i just used ypur quote for the electric thing.
ORIGINAL: enjoymentboy

I know exactly where you're coming from but I'll never go back to electric. Planes and boats maybe but cars? No way. The biggest help that anyone can get when getting into nitro is to have a friend who knows what they're doing to show you the ropes. If you're starting nitro and you're on your own you are going to have a rougher time of it. But don't give up. Just keep in mind that EVERYONE who runs nitro was where you are right now...at some point.

Start from the beginning again and set your car back to factory specs. Ask as many questions as you need and don't worry about lookign stupid by asking such a basic question. We all have experience and are more than willing to help.

What car and engine are you running? What fuel? Give us as much detail as you can and I'm sure that you can be running and HAVING FUN this weekend.

Enjoymentboy
Old 03-21-2006, 05:13 PM
digifox

ORIGINAL: nbcaznmaster

DUDE, SCREW NITRO! I HATE IT! IT TOOK ME 2 MONTHS TO EVEN GET MY CAR STARTED. THEN IT TOOK ME ANOHTER MONTH JUST TO BE ABLE TO RUNN IT. THEN WHEN TODAY WHEN I GET THE CAR STARTED, AFTER I MOVED 3 FEET, THE CAR WENT CRAZY ADN DROVE AWAY. I CHASSED AFTER IT AND THEN I TRIPPED. I DROPED MY TX 10 FEET AWAY SCRATCHIGN THE HELL OUT OF IT. MY CAR GOT ITS LOWER CAHSIS SCREWED UP, SHOCK CAP MEESSED UP AND BUMPER IS SCREWED. FRONT BULKHEAD IS CRAPI SPENT OVER 300 ON NITRO CARS AND IT GOT SCREWED UP. THERE ARE NO REASONS WHY IT DIDNT WORK. I CHARGED UP THE BATTERY THE NIGHT BEFORE. SHOULD I QUIT NITRO AND MOVE TO ELECTRIC? IM NOT SURE IM A NITRO GUY.
electric has more shorts in it.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:26 PM
gkcx

Hey JPEP did you get a kit or RTR? New or used truck? If it's new just follow the directions you should have no problem getting it started. These engines are easy to flood out so if you see fuel coming out of the exhaust and you cant start the engine take the glow plug out and dump the fuel out of the engine. If you get to much fuel in the engine you wont be able to turn it over. It can be tricky but just ask questions there are plenty of guys here that can help.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Nitro Fumes

It's not hard to start a nitro engine. BUT if you have no one to help you it will be difficult. But you can overcome those difficltes at the forum by gettuing advice. 1st of course the engine must be on a rich setting. There is plenty of information available explaining how to break in an engine so I won't go into it. See the link.

http://www.nitroreview.com/hintstips/enginebreakin.cfm

BUT I can tell you when you try to start the engine for the first time the piston and sleeve are tight and will lock together somewhat and you won't be able to bump it with the starter or if you have a pull start it won't pull. Then you jusy have to turn the flywheel over by hand until its free. Its stuck near TDC where the sleeve is just a bit smaller in diameter. By hand I mean you'll probably need a pliers to grab the knurl of the flywheel. I don't know what car you have but I have a Losi XXX-NT that I just built and broke in. The first time it got suck I unbolted the engine to free get a grip on the flywheel. What a pain to do that. You see, my old car from the '80's was a Serpent Excel 1/8 road car. I used to be able to open a channel lock pliers and manage to grip the flywheel without removing the engine. So I did it on the Losi. Well after I put it all back and tried to start it locked again. OK, no more removing. I was able to use my needle nose pliers and get enough grip on the flywheel to turn it. So I told you this story so you won't have to remove your engine when it get stuck like that.

Anway after you do get running, run the first tankful through it. After that your engine won't get stuck like that any more. That pretty much happens on the first time start ups.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:48 PM
gkcx

You could try heating the head with a heat gun. Get it up to Temp and it shouldnt stick when you start it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.