Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:14 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Man I would not be able to comment since im still running the stock gearing. But let me know how it goes.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:08 PM
jaykay108

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW MANY TURNS OUT FROM CLOSED THE IDLE SCREW WOULD BE IF TRYING TO GO BACK TO FACTORY? I KNOW THE MEASUREMENT BUT I DON'T HAVE A WAY OF MEASURING IT.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
ajk2649

ORIGINAL: jaykay108

DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW MANY TURNS OUT FROM CLOSED THE IDLE SCREW WOULD BE IF TRYING TO GO BACK TO FACTORY? I KNOW THE MEASUREMENT BUT I DON'T HAVE A WAY OF MEASURING IT.

Its about 2 turns from closed is about where I run it and that looks 2 be about factory settings. If you have a printer you can do what I did and google a mm ruler and print it out. I cant even tell you how many times it has came so handy 4 me in the hobby or if you wanna get really accurate you can get one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-inch-LCD-Digit...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
jaykay108

thank you. I just wanted to make sure I was close.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM
ajk2649

ORIGINAL: jaykay108

thank you. I just wanted to make sure I was close.

Where you able 2 get it tuned? Im still waiting on my clutch 2 get here. in fact Im bout 2 go check the mail right now.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
ajk2649

Just need some help fellas. I was out running the jato 2 day cuz of the great weather we had. I started from factory settings with tuning. Made some 1/2 3/4 throttle runs and got the temp at about 225 and started tuning. I was gettings great results at 1st with speed increasing and things going well. I would check temps once in awhile 2 make sure things where good. I was on a long straight and it went into 2nd gear and shortly as it was picking up speed in 2nd I heard a bad noise and all I thought was damn I just blew second gear as it pop kinda noise and the engine stalled. I checked things out adn things seemed ok so I started it back up and made some more passes adn the same thing would happen. It was running at about 240 and I hadnt really gotten a chance 2 fully tune b4 that started 2 happen. I thought 4 sure it was my gear box. I went back home and took it apart and all the gears are fine. I realized that it seems 2 be flaming out or pre det. Im not sure which one but thats what seems 2 be going on. Anyone agree or have some other theroy and why that would happen?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM
ajk2649

I have a question hope I can get some answers. I have a stage 2 modded 3.3 and 2 day we had some nice weather and I took it out 2 get some speed runs. I set it 2 factory settings and made a few high speed runs and got it 2 about 215 or 220 and started tuning. Things were going well and I was getting great speeds and things were getting better. I just made small adjustments and doing things like it says 2. I checked temps now and again it temps were great. I made another high speed pass and right as I hit 2nd it made a weird kinda pop sound and the engine died. All I thought was "damn I blew second gear". I took a look at it and everything looked fine. I started it back up made another pass and the same thing happened. It will get into 2nd with high speed kinda pop and stall. I brought it home took it apart and my gears are all fine. I think its flaming out or pre detonation. Im not sure which one it would be and why would it do that?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:42 PM
ajk2649

Sorry for 2nd post dont know what hppened there.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:12 PM
devo208

ajk- did u try turning it back to factory setting or at least 1/4 turn back from your last turn. And if so check and ask question at the website where your engine was modded.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:33 PM
ajk2649

Yeah I figured out what it was. I had changed glowplug right b4 I had taken it out that day. The plug was a little longer then the one that was in 2 begin with. At the time all the problems were happing I had no idea what was going on. I got it home and seen the old plug sitting there it a light bulb just went off in my head and I thought "damn I bet its that simple; sure enough it was the differsnt plug I had put in. Being that its a longer plug it changed the engines compression and was causing the problems. I just went back 2 the plug I was running b4 and it was all good again. Its cool tho cuz I finally got my exhaust manifold in so ill be running a diff engine now.

But hey are you the guy that was running the os .12TZ in the jato? If so did you have trouble with ur starter box not having the power 2 turn the engine and get it running? It has so much pinch my starter box just cant get it done. I tryed 2 unscrew the glowplug, heat it up with a hairdryer. loosen the head just 2 get it going a bit. I sprayed WD-40 2 give it some extra lube. I just cant get enought power from my bumpbox. Its a pretty good box made by Ofna. Has 2 motors and a 12volt batttery. I think the battery may not have a full charge and thats the problem. Ill try again later tho.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 PM
ajk2649

Well I finally got my exhaust manifold in the mail and everything setup. It was such a pain getting the started box 2 crank the engine. Went 2 the hobby shop and had 2 buy a new chager for it cuz the one I had just didnt give the battery enough charge 2 crank it. the engine has so much pinch its crazy. I had it broke in on a break-in bench and it still has crazy pinch so im just gonna run about 5 tanks thru it 2 break it in b4 I start tuning. I already let it idel thru 1 tank and it got 2 about 225 or so. tomorrow ill run it in the lot for about 5 tanks or so. It takes about a gallon b4 it really wakes up it what I have heard from other ppl. We'll see how things go. right now I am running the MIP clutch spring with the integy 3 shoe clutch. The stock clutch spring that came on the 3.3 finally need 2 be replaced so I got the MIP one. I think it sucks pretty bad. Its way 2 light. I need a really heavy spring cuz the .12tz doesnt have as much torque as the 3.3. I need a really tight spring or if anyone has a link 2 a better clutch setup 4 me. I need a high stall clutch that will allow the engine 2 reach high RPMs b4 it grabs so the engine is already in its upper power range. If anyone has any help thanks. Later fellas

Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM
devo208

ajk- yes i'm the one with the O.S..12tz specII , and from the start i had the pitch problem i used a screwdriver to turn the flywheel to a loser spot and then use my bumpbox to start it. I've ran about 1 1/2 gallons thru my engine and i still have to do that. You can also loosen the glowplug a little bit to get it started than tighten it back once its started.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:28 PM
devo208

ajk- i see that metal spurgear is chewing up your bell gear, soon it will start making a funny noise thats the gear stripping.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:33 PM
devo208

ajk- my engine NEVER reached 225 even at break-in, my engine stays at 160 to 180 and it still cranks out awsome power. If i try to lean it any more it starts to spudder and where its at it runs perfect.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:21 PM
ajk2649

Wel I got the starter box 2 crank the engine finally. I just had 2 get a better charge on my battery cuz the charger I had didnt give it a good enough charge. it cranks it every time now. As far as the spur gear.Im gonna stick with it for now. From what I can see its just the gears fitting forming together. I got the mesh together pretty good and have been keeping an eye on the gears and will continue 2 do so after you had told me about the problem b4. I just dont like the plastic ones after stripping the 1st one. the one thing I am worried about is the tranny gears. a guy told me he had installed a picco jlr.12 in his jato and the tranny couldnt handle the RPMs ans he stripped 2nd gear all the time and ended up scrapping the project. HAve you had any problems with your tranny yet?

About the engine temps.......My engine didnt get over 180 either. I had 2 wrap the head in aluminum foil 2 get the temps to 220 230. When breaking in an engine its importent that the temps are in that range 2 get a good break in. Being that its such a well build engine its hard 2 get the temps up. But I guess its better then trying 2 keep the temps down. Also you say ur engine runs well at 180=190 and wont take a tune anymore at that temp. I would suggest u try wrapping the head in foil and get the temps in the 220s and you should be able 2 tune it a little more and get more preformance out of it.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 PM
quietnas1

Wow that set up is looking sweet. Yeah I also noticed that my metal spur gear is starting to wear my bell gear. I have a spare bell and I'm going to throw that back on with the plastic spur..
Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 PM
ajk2649

Also devo.....What clutch setup do you run?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:32 PM
ajk2649

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

Wow that set up is looking sweet. Yeah I also noticed that my metal spur gear is starting to wear my bell gear. I have a spare bell and I'm going to throw that back on with the plastic spur..

yeah I was about 2 get a vid of some of the break in but my reciever battery just died so im giving it a charge.

I also have another clutch bell and plastic spur gear but its a revo spur gear and the mesh is just not right. Do they have a different pitch that I didnt know about? If not and its the same then I must have gotten a bad gear cuz that mesh is just not gonna work. I have a 24tooth cb and the 40 tooth spur gear I wanna run with the .12 TZ. I know its gonna kill my low end but its gonna have crazy top end. I just hope my tranny can handle the RPMs.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:15 PM
ajk2649

well I got a couple vids of the breakin. Its kinda the boring part of it but I'll be done soon. Its on tank 3. Just listen 2 this thing idel. Its sick. it just puuuurrrrrrs. Ill get some speed runs when my radar gun gets in and seee where its at. Its about 15degree turn closed from factory setting and still rich. Few more tanks and I'll start tuning. If you listen close you can hear the clutch kinda makein tink sound at idel. Thats cuz the MIP POS clutch spring. Its just way 2 light and loose. I got new springs on the way. Im tryin 2 find the toughest springs and see how things work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygiie...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDf5E...e=channel_page
Old 03-14-2009, 08:23 PM
devo208

AJK- I havent had any problem with my tranny and i just found out you dont need a stall clutch to rase the rpm's before takeoff, we with the jato's just need to adjust the slipper clutch loosen it up a little bit. I'm going out tomorrow and try it out. I dont know about a REVO spur gear thats much smaller than the jato spur.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76435.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1157784  
Old 03-14-2009, 08:36 PM
ajk2649

ORIGINAL: devo208

AJK- I havent had any problem with my tranny and i just found out you dont need a stall clutch to rase the rpm's before takeoff, we with the jato's just need to adjust the slipper clutch loosen it up a little bit. I'm going out tomorrow and try it out. I dont know about a REVO spur gear thats much smaller than the jato spur.

yeah I see what you saying about the slipper clutch but by doing that you actually lose acelleration cuz when u hit full throttle it just slips and takes a second 2 get going. The best thing you can do is get a higher stall clutch 2 solve the problem. I know the revo gear is smaller but thats the point 2 get higher top end speeds. You need a larger clutch bell amd smaller spur gear. By doing that you will lose on bottom end. Try 2 get some vids on your runs if you can.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:58 PM
quietnas1

Well I got some Pro Line 30 Series BadLand tires for a little off roading at the park and got my rear Jacos back on colored black thanks to a Sharpee Marker ... Here are some pics. Check out the differance in ground clearance.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:02 PM
quietnas1

OOPS[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]. Submitted without pics. Here they go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67226.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1158356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70373.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1158357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49910.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1158358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28604.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1158359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41060.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1158360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10400.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1158361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq21352.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1158362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po48796.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1158363  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr20472.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1158364  
Old 03-15-2009, 05:59 PM
JattoMan3.3

Im no expert when it comes to rc cars, hense the reason im making this post. Got a problem with my Jato 3.3 and hope there's someone that can help.
Today I took my Jato out for a spin, well tried anyway, spent about 5 mins tryna get the engine fired up but once i did, i pushed down on the accelerstion and there was a loss of power and the the engine cut out. Repeated this about 5 - 10 times but same problem.

Have had this car about a year and a half and has been driven less than 10 times, I remember fiddling with the high speed needle and the ilde needle and dont think i tuned the car correctly.

Also When i checked the glow plug its not glowing when i press the EZ start button. I remember the time before last when i drove the car it took a while to get the engine going. I remember seeing a bit of smoke coming from the EZ start motor.

Finally..... If this will help you work out my problem, when the car is on the exhaust seems to give off a hell of alot of smoke .

Will be grateful if someone can shed some light on this problem.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM
ajk2649

Sound like you are running 2 rich. The reason it will die when u hit the throttle is cuz so much fuel is forced into the engine and wets the glowplug and puts it out. U need 2 lean ur high and low speed. I would suggest u tune it back 2 factory settings and start from there. That should allow you 2 atleast get it running and get a better tune. Don't try 2 hammer the throttle wide open from a stand still while the engine is still kinda cool with the factory settings applied. The engine will die 4 sure. Once you have it at factory settings and get it running drive around a bit slowly increasing rpm 2 warm ur engine up. When u get a good temp u can begin tuning. You should also put in a new glowplug as you said u were having problems with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.