Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Nitro or electric truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:46 PM
DS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro or electric truck

Ok i have been thinking that i am going to buy an electric truck for my birthday. The traxxas Stampede xl-5 or losi dt but i already have a redcat racing tornado bb as a beginner nitro. I was wondering if i should go nitro instead of an electric. I was thinking about it and i was suppose to go with a firestorm, but my birthday is not untill july 16th and i have all the nitro supplies. My budget was 270 to 280 for an electric, but what do you guys think should i go nitro?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: Nitro or electric truck

I would stick w/ electric
Old 05-12-2008, 08:29 PM
deepsouthoutlawracer

well i have asked as many questions as the next guy, but if you know and understand how to run nitros, i would go with a nitro.

and it depends on what your maintenence level is= generally less maintnence for electric
Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 PM
buck in rut

im a gas guy personally the nitro stampede is a good truck also the nitro rustler is a very good choice i do not like the firestorm mainly because my lhs carries nothing for it if you stay electric id get the brushless version of what ever you pick you dont have to go to lipo right away and still get more power speed and a little longer run times really there is no wrong choice i just like to stay with what my lhs keeps parts for
Old 05-12-2008, 10:20 PM
hollylx88

well its really not right to say you don't like the truck because your lhs doesn't carry parts for it... but anyways, i'm hooked on AE, and if you're going nitro i'd definately say check out the rc10gt2, but if you're just bashing, my second choice would be a firestorm. it looks like a sold truck, that'll handle better then the traxxas stuff, and that 3.0 makes some good power. if you have a nitro then you have an idea of what they're all about, so its up to you, don't buy one way or the other just because someone says "do this". If you're going electric i think brushless is really the only way to go, and i would seriously consider the e-firestorm flux. it looks well built with alot of potential.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 AM
NitroNate

Nitro=The sound,the smell,the power,and there is a lot more to a gas engine than an electric motor.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 PM
supersound99ss

derek, i got a redcat shockwave for my first nitro vehicle, its solid built car for the price but it is no where near the level of refinement or ease that my firestorm is, and i use to think my redcat was fast, until i broke in the firestorm and realized that those engines from redcat are crap.....with that said don't be afraid of getting another nitro, my firestorm is a snap to do maintence on
Old 05-13-2008, 02:14 PM
DS

cool could you tell me more about the firestorm, supersound im in the same position you were before you bought the firestorm
Old 05-13-2008, 03:22 PM
NitroNate

cool could you tell me more about the firestorm
I'll let the Firestorm speak for itself! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7089842/tm.htm
Old 05-13-2008, 03:49 PM
DS

damn i like it lol it can take a beating unlike my redacat tornado, would you rather get that instead of an xl-5 also is it better then the nitro evader
Old 05-13-2008, 03:52 PM
NitroNate

Any HPI truck is better than Traxxas and Duratrax.Duratrax isn't very popular on here.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM
DS

ok thanks i will be expecting to purchase it after my birthday on july 16th
Old 05-13-2008, 04:13 PM
NitroNate

Awsome man!I'm happy for you.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:56 PM
DS

thanks but my dad wants me to get an electric xl-5 stampede he says its the best deal i could get, and doesn't want me to get another nitro but i like the firestorm and ma moms just ignore and i can get it lol
Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Checkpointracer

ORIGINAL: derek_18mt

thanks but my dad wants me to get an electric xl-5 stampede he says its the best deal i could get, and doesn't want me to get another nitro but i like the firestorm and ma moms just ignore and i can get it lol

SHOW THIS POST TO YOU DAD!!!

The stampede really actually isn't what it's cracked up to be. Many people have had problems with motors burning out on them plus the stock motor is rather slow if you're used to driving nitro. Also the stampede comes with some pretty crappy equipment, it doesn't come with bearings (bushings instead), most people will tell you the radio system is junk, and the motor really is a disgrace to the r/c world. Also the my transmission almost always seems to have a problem in my traxxas rustler (same as stampede except lower to the ground).
Old 05-13-2008, 07:24 PM
DS

so the firestorm would be better then then the xl-5's. also do you think i should go with the firestorm i like it but what about the xtm nitro x-cellerator though? just a thought i like the firestorm more though. Also my hobby shop said that they never had problems with the motors, they said that they aren't over geared and they beat the crap out of them, were they lying?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 PM
NitroNate

Of course they were lying!They wouldn't dare say anything negative about something they are trying to sell.
About the XTM x-cellerator,um,it is said you get what you pay for,but somtimes that doesn't fit into every catigory.In this case it is true.The xtm x-cellerator is very CHEAP,so it normally atracts nitro newbies.I can't speak for it ,but from what i'm told its fast,not durable,and has very cheap electronics.
I know I may seem like a die-hard,obstinate Firestorm fan,but honestly,the Firestorm is,in every detail,perfect for all its owners.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 PM
supersound99ss

i love my firestorm derek, by far easier to tune and work on compared to the redcat, and it looks BA
Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Chris_RC

The x-cell. is sorta like a budget version of the xxx-nt. I heard the diffs and maybe the a arms can fit on both trucks, but not sure.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 PM
jentzsch

GO NITRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, tuning can be a drag at times, but then again so can having dead batteries, or lack of them....

I love tuning and playing with my Nitro Sport!

In fact, just broke my second piece, the front shock tower, broke the rear about 2 weeks ago, RPM here I come.

Get Nitro, you will NOT regret it, I don't at least.