Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Firestorm Jato killer project

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 PM
NitroNate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestorm Jato killer project

I am looking forward to the day I get a radar gun,OS .18 TZ,highest possible toothed clutch bell,and the lowest possible spur gear.But for now,its a CV-RX until I can afford the TZ.Hopefully,I'll be able to give day to day progress reports.
Here goes...

Day 1.
Well guys,I got my CV-RX on tuesday but didn't have the right screws to mount it.The screws should be here on Sat.,or Mon.Can't wait to see those 60mph passes!!!

Day2.
Well,I got the screws and drilled the holes in the chassis and mounted the engine.Breakin was abruptly halted after I discovered a leaky exhaust manifold.[:-]I sealed it and will be continuing breakin' tomorrow after-noon.

BTW,This engine came RICH!!!Rich enough to have no smoke coming out of the pipe at take off,only drops of fuel.The temps peaked at 115* before I leaned it out.(Quite a bit!)After that I got it up to 215*,perfect for breakin.

Take off was amazing at 215*.If I had the traction it would have been wheelies on demand,no questions asked!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
tcv_racing

Default RE: Firestorm Jato killer project

Congrats on your new engine nate!!!

If your not too busy I hope you can show in detail with pictures on how you mounted the engine into the firestorm including modifications done and parts used..
I know Im askin too much but I really want to get the same engine for my storm..

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:55 PM
scottywilkes

id be happy to take on your firestorm with my jato. [>:]

Nothing like super high gearing and a big block Mach 427 to top it off, still enough power to flip it on its roof LOL.

BTW single speed Firestorm with a OS18CVRX wont hit anywhere near 60mph, u will get around the 50 mark maybe.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Chris_RC

what does BTW mean?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:11 PM
robbio4422

btw= by the way

and yes the cvrx w/slide can get 60+ with the right tune and gears.. i got a 66mph on my rusty... single speed

and with the TZ... mmmmmmm
Old 06-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Stunt4life

BTW= by the way.

My firestorm stock does wheelies pretty good on the street and its stock. cant immaigine with a bigger motor like i was origionally thinking

edit; whoops looks like i was beat to the btw definition by like 15 seconds
Old 06-21-2008, 09:12 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: scottywilkes

BTW single speed Firestorm with a OS18CVRX wont hit anywhere near 60mph, u will get around the 50 mark maybe.
If you are talking about stock gearing you are correct. but with some gear changes nearing 60 won't be a problem.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:07 AM
NitroNate

The moabs also increase speed by 18%.I get somewhere around 47-50mph with the stock motor,21 tooth clutch,and moabs.I'm thinking 65mph is within reach for this engine with the highest gearing possible and moabs combined.The TZ will probably be a big 70 maybe??
BTW,a two speed tranny most of the time only increases speed by only 3-5mph,and will increase acceleration a little.

This afternoon,I'll see how the sealant did and then break it in via Heat Cycling Method.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:15 AM
NitroNate

TVC,I'll be sure to do that!(After break-in.LOL I think you understand)
Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Mspeed

First off the TZ is a more powerful motor than the standard CVRX. I have no doubt you could get a firestorm to do 70, the big thing for me is driveline durablitlity. I am waiting for someone to make some good lasting tranny gears. O and the 2 speed helps alot more than you think when your going for some super top ends. It doesnt reallly show its true colors in a stadium until you go for really high speeds. It will allow you to over gear your engine alot more so you can get up to top end faster in the limited space you will have with these rc's. Range and running out of sight before you get to your top end is the problem. The 2 speed helps keep your motor in its power curve too. On a track its pretty much a waste, but for doing high speed runs it actually works very well.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:57 PM
3pointX

Guys I thought I should post something about this. Yakfish pm'd me about the TZ because I've actually done a TZ swap, as well as a big-block swap on my Firestorm. I can tell you first off, that yes, it IS possible to hit 65-70 mph with the right gearing, and it does take a lot of room to do it. Traction is the main problem as the tires tend to spin uncontrollably on hard launches, and struggle to get traction. Te solution is to ease into the throttle steadily until full throttle is reached. By that time, the truck is at the range limit of your transmitter and at top speed it's tough to maintain control. But that's not my reason for posting. I wanted to make the point that the driveline WILL start to show its weaknesses with a TZ or other engine with similar power delivary. I first found how weak the spur gear can be. Even with a 21-tooth bell I was stripping the spur constantly. I had to keep three or four on hand at all times because the local shop doesn't stock them. Being a fabricator with access to some really expensive machining equipment, I opted to make my own steel spur gear. That solved one problem and exposed another, when I started stripping the diff gears. After two new diff assemblies, I gave up. Yes, it can be done. But honestly, in the long run it's a pain in the arse. I just wanted to put that out there.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Mspeed

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

First off the TZ is a more powerful motor than the standard CVRX. I have no doubt you could get a firestorm to do 70, the big thing for me is driveline durablitlity. I am waiting for someone to make some good lasting tranny gears. O and the 2 speed helps alot more than you think when your going for some super top ends. It doesnt reallly show its true colors in a stadium until you go for really high speeds. It will allow you to over gear your engine alot more so you can get up to top end faster in the limited space you will have with these rc's. Range and running out of sight before you get to your top end is the problem. The 2 speed helps keep your motor in its power curve too. On a track its pretty much a waste, but for doing high speed runs it actually works very well.
Just what I thought
Old 06-23-2008, 05:08 PM
NitroNate

Well I broke my CV-RX in and then I took the Firestorm to the track and.......I don't have time to talk about it yet.I need to upload my 12mb video(with dial-up[:'(][:@])so it will take a while yet.
TVC,I'm working on the write-up.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:35 PM
tcv_racing

Thanks so much for all your effort nate!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 PM
NitroNate

No problem.I like helping fellow RCU members.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeeing your video man! I hated dial up now my At+t works great!! Oh, and hows your spur gear holding out?