RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

RC10GT clutch. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC10GT clutch. Which one?

Hey guys. I'm finally getting my RC10GT(tub chassis) running after 15 years!!! When I was a kid/teenager and got it I could never get it to run right. So after a couple of weeks of battling it I put it in the closet. Well, now I've decided to take it off of shelf queen duty and get it running.

So, what I'm wondering is which clutch setup I should get? Right now it has the stock 2 shoe clutch setup on it. I need a new flywheel collet so right now the engine is out and it's all apart. While looking at replacement parts I found two other options. They are either a 4 shoe AE race clutch setup or the MIP 4 n 1 clutch.

I can see how the 4 shoe clutch would provide smoother engagement and drivability over a 2 shoe, but do they wear faster? Are their any negatives to a 4 shoe over a 2 shoe? It seems like a 4 shoe would be better in every aspect, except maybe for wear.

As for the MIP setup, has anyone used one? I see it says it eliminates the need for a slipper, but I don't know whether I really need it or not. Since I have the slipper and know how to use it why would I want to eliminate it? It's not like they wear out really fast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I'll be going to the LHS to get the parts I need on Friday.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 PM
worstluck

Default RE: RC10GT clutch. Which one?

well i would think 4 shoes would wear out slower than just two. it would take less friction on each shoe to engage the clutch with 4 contact points. personally i use the stock 2 shoe clutch on my gt2 works for me.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Barber420

I was thinking you'd probably get about the same shoe wear, but have more excessive clutch bell wear. Kind of like when you put high performance brake pads on a full scale car. You stop better, but your rotors wear faster when you do.

Anybody else got any experience with this?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Barber420

Come on people! No one knows how these different styles of clutches effect performance? Someone out there has got to have some knowledge to pass on to me here! I want to make sure I buy the right clutch for the driving I'm doing. If someone would just please explain how differently a 4 shoe acts compared to a 2 shoe I would be thrilled!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:58 PM
MMT GUNS

Well I can't give an answer to the 4 clutch question but my experience on the MIP and the stock clutch I can. I had the MIP clutch on my O.S .18cvrx and to tell you the truth it didn't last that long, the clutch believe it or not it stretch on me and ever since I use the stock clutch never went back to any other. I used the original 2 clutch on my .18 and still using the same clutch on my original .15 engine.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Barber420

Thanks for the info on the MIP; I'm glad I didn't go that route now. I went to the LHS and picked up two more clutch shoes and the 4 shoe flywheel on Saturday. It seems to work beautiful for me, but I haven't gotten any real good runs in yet as I'm still dealing with tuning issues. The motor is an old OS MAX .12 from fifteen years ago. She's coming to life, but finding all of the air leaks and getting it free'd up and running well is still being a bit of a chore. Once it starts to hold a tune for a while I'll be thrilled; I'm almost there!!!! I can't say that I really have much experience with a 2 shoe clutch, but the 4 seems to be great thus far. I thought the MIP looked suspect of being more maintenance with the springs and all. I like that my 4shoe, or the 2 shoe for that matter, are so simple in design.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

I run the MIP 4in1 clutch with a OS 18 ... here is the trick ......... use the weights and run it backwards. ... it will have massive hook up, also ya wanna spray the clutch bell out with brake cleaner and then lightly scuff the clutch shoes with some med. sand paper. i have had the same 4in1 in my gt for a season and a half, and it still rocks .. oh and set up that way you will soon find out that ya have a engine brake and with a lil practice ya will find that ya wont need the brakes near as much. also just to set the record straight .... MIP are total top notch i have been using them since 1994. They are the best!