Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Help me with my painted wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Me+RC=$$$
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with my painted wheels

Well, a buddy of mine gave me a pair of used wheels and tires he had and didn't want, and me being a pack rat was more than willing to take them of his hands. I tore the tires off, and was going to dye them black, well, little problem. He had painted the spokes white and left the outer rim chrome to match his real cars rims. They are HPI's split 10's or something, so they have 10 spokes split in half. I spent about an hour on one rim trying to get the paint and chrome off by rubbing a q-tip dipped in nail polish remover on it. It worked, but there is still a lot of chrome and paint left in tight spots i can't get to, and I don't want to spend 5 hours trying to get these ready to dye. I also soaked them in paint thinner overnight, and that did nothing but make them smell. Is there anything that I could let these soak in over night that would get the stupid chrome and paint off?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	88060_15934.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	51186  
Old 06-21-2003, 12:46 AM
jtrnp2001

When I'm anodizing paintball gun parts, to remove the stuff that was already on there, I soak them in lye. Sometimes, I also use muriatic acid. (I think I spelled that right). It might melt plastic. I don't know. - Travis
Old 06-22-2003, 02:53 AM
Me+RC=$$$

Thanks, anything is worth a try...I guess. I'll try that tonight. Anybody else have an idea before I possibly ruin them?
Old 06-27-2003, 05:56 AM
modelboater

Brake fluid
Old 06-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Dstruked

Default NAIL POLISH REMOVER

YOU SAID THAT THE NAIL POLISH REMOVER WORKED, WHY NOT SOAK IN THAT?
Old 06-27-2003, 04:06 PM
spadworld

One word ACETONE! This is why the nail polish remover works so good cause it contains acetone! Goto the hard ware store and pick some up. Stuff works good at cleanning the car off too except for the body. Just pour it in a bowl or other container and drop the wheels in. It will slowly disolve the paint right off of the wheels. Let it sit over night and just top it off in the morning cause it evaporates.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:15 AM
Me+RC=$$$

Thanks for the responses guys. I started a little project with them, it's somewhere to to many pages back. I'll soak them in acetone when i get them done.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:11 AM
otterball21

it sorta works.. give it a try.. someone gave me rims painted white.. blargh... and I used acetone.. got all the dirt off.. and the white paint did somewhat come off..