Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Why use a 3-bladed prop

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:48 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why use a 3-bladed prop

ORIGINAL: RoyR

Ok, I did a search on 3 blade props for other information and began reading this post. I didn’t pay attention to the area it was in, so I probably overstepped my bounds by commenting here.

The reason I did is I see some new people get so bogged down in the technicalities of flying they never learn to just enjoy flying. I have been flying RC since the 70s but I’m new to gas. When I went looking for information on RC Universe there were so many posts from Experts saying how you had to modify the engine, drill out things, replace this or that. Some posters even claiming they were even more knowledgable than the manufacturer. For someone new to the hobby this would be overwhelming advice that is not necessary for a sport flyer. Many people can get discouraged before they even begin.

I was just assuming there were new flyers here being fed too much information and I threw in my two cents. I was wrong.
That’s it.
RoyR,

I have NO problem with you looking in the Pattern Forum and neither does Bob. Many of us, perhaps most of us, are long time modelers and are very knowledgeable about all sorts of things Pattern and Sport related. One thing certain, practically anything pattern related also works well in Sport and Scale. If you want to get more power, look into pattern info; same for quiet; same for lightweight; same for light, durable finsh; same for structure and structure preservation, and on and on. No, we don't know everything...however, many of us spend ungodly amounts of time and money perfecting our craft over decades of learning.

Point is, if any sport flier wants to learn to do something better, no better place to look than any competition sort. Pattern competitors as a whole, are very willing and able to help as are IMAC, Racing and CL Stunt competitors.

On the point about some guys knowing more than manufacturers, I'd say absolutely. Some of us take the time to design the absolute lightest, truest, most precise and adequately strong (meaning not overbuilt) stuff around. Manufacturers in general are in it for the money and the quicker they put a gadget on the market, the quicker they can turn a buck.....All I'm gonna say on this
Old 11-28-2011, 05:15 PM
cmoulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why use a 3-bladed prop

Roy, you are a stand-up guy for saying that.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

And I do agree with a lot of what you say. There is so much information available so easily these days that it can be difficult for the newcomer to figure out what is and is not important and - even more difficult - what is and is not correct or accurate, or what info is applicable for the given circumstances.

There is no "BS Filter," so figuring out whom to trust online has become part of the process. It is why having a good mentor at a local club remains so crucial.

In some ways, this is what makes an online pattern forum a kind of safe haven. There are plenty of knowledgeable guys who have long track records, much direct experience and technical expertise, which provides a natural check against those who don't know what they're talking about and would misinform if given the chance.