Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Phoenix Jupiter

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:39 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phoenix Jupiter

Well my excelleron 50 died an untimely death so I've been searching for a replacement, venus 40 would have been nice but like the excelleron its been removed from the market. Anyways what I came up with was phoenix model's Jupiter which looks like a fairly worthy replacement. Its a little smaller then my exceleron so I'm assuming it wont be quite as smooth and stable but my 55AX should have better power to weight. Anyways haven't read a whole lot about this plane on here so I guess I'm just going to have to give it a go.

Why are all these smaller pattern style models disappearing? I guess your average joe doesn't know how much better they fly than your average sport or aerobatic model.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Jupiter

Venus 40 was replaced by the Sequence (electric).
The World Models makes some pretty good little pattern-style planes.
Phoenix stuff is generally well-built and a good value, though a bit heavy.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

Well my excelleron 50 died an untimely death so I've been searching for a replacement, venus 40 would have been nice but like the excelleron its been removed from the market. Anyways what I came up with was phoenix model's Jupiter which looks like a fairly worthy replacement. Its a little smaller then my exceleron so I'm assuming it wont be quite as smooth and stable but my 55AX should have better power to weight. Anyways haven't read a whole lot about this plane on here so I guess I'm just going to have to give it a go.

Why are all these smaller pattern style models disappearing? I guess your average joe doesn't know how much better they fly than your average sport or aerobatic model.
Perhaps a better selection for pattern from the Phoenix line is the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGTS5&P=7]Seabee[/link].

I flew a friend's Seabee several times and was quite impressed with it.

Edit: OOPS, sorry, Discontinued.[]

But if you can find one, grab it!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Check out texasrcplanes.com

They have several good looking designs and affordable as well.

Chuck hochhalter
Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 AM
jeffk464

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Venus 40 was replaced by the Sequence (electric).
The World Models makes some pretty good little pattern-style planes.
Phoenix stuff is generally well-built and a good value, though a bit heavy.
So far I'm really impressed with the quality of the phoenix kit, the hardware seems top notch to.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 AM
jeffk464

Successful test flight today. It seems to fly pretty well, at least as well as my excelleron 50. With my 55AX at around 5500 feet the power to weight level could have been better, as garcfield said its a pretty high wing loading. I need to try some higher nitro fuel and maybe drop from a 13x6 prop to a 13x5, I think I was under 11000 rpm on the 13x6. I might also improve the weight by dropping the tank size the stock is 12 oz after a 10 min flight time I still had half a tank.

I had the misfortune of seeing a $8000 competition pattern plane flying in between my flights, so my expectations might be a little off.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I would try a 12x7. I had a 12x8 on my 55AX, it was close, still a little bogged down. Those smaller 2-strokes make power with high rpm. Higher nitro always helps - 15% is probably OK, 20% would give it some boost.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 AM
jeffk464

I flew with a 13x6 on 10% in southern California with good power, but up in the salt lake city area I just don't get much umph with that setup. My main power concern is going vertical, for this you think I would be better off going for a smaller diameter instead of less pitch? I'm not trying to hang off the prop, just trying to keep going vertical as long as possible.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

Successful test flight today. It seems to fly pretty well, at least as well as my excelleron 50. With my 55AX at around 5500 feet the power to weight level could have been better, as garcfield said its a pretty high wing loading. I need to try some higher nitro fuel and maybe drop from a 13x6 prop to a 13x5, I think I was under 11000 rpm on the 13x6. I might also improve the weight by dropping the tank size the stock is 12 oz after a 10 min flight time I still had half a tank.

I had the misfortune of seeing a $8000 competition pattern plane flying in between my flights, so my expectations might be a little off.
I use an APC 12x5 narrow blade with 15% on my stock OS 55 AX in St. Louis. Similar heat and humidity, might help you... Runs like a top, never bogs, on a 5 lbs Kaos ARF.
I used an APC 12.75x3.75 on my OS 46 AX in SoCal and it was so good I couldn't believe it, guys have told me since they've used it on the 55 with good performance too. Let it sing and the speed never gets out of hand, uphill it never stops (Sportsman, anyway).
Chris..

Old 10-06-2012, 05:50 PM
jeffk464

RIP
Old 10-08-2012, 04:36 AM
cmoulder

Oops! What happened?!

Elevator, rudder, battery or switch?[]