Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 PM
AndreaBresci

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but it is already available on the AppStore?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 AM
kingconsulting

Not that I know of. Was just a beta test.

Robert
Old 09-27-2013, 02:49 AM
ripacheco

I thought you couldn't put apps on an iPhone without the app store unless u jail break the device or had a dev liscence and used Xcode ...
Old 09-27-2013, 04:03 AM
kingconsulting

If you are a developer you can test on so many devices. If your selling it or want to put it in the app store then that is a different process.

Robert
Old 09-27-2013, 04:52 AM
ripacheco

Understand I'll sign up for the beta
Old 09-27-2013, 04:57 AM
ripacheco

Dang I guess there is not an iOS7 build yet...
oh well I'll just wait...
Old 09-27-2013, 04:59 AM
ripacheco

Maybe I need to wait for you to have a chance to add my device to the list?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 AM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update on this. I've found voice recognition in real field scenarios (especially with wind) to be too unreliable. I'm working on a solution to that which should remain hands free or nearly so (i.e. at worst it will be the equivalent of flipping a switch on your TX) in the meantime, I'm not adding new people to the beta. Pattern season ends for me this weekend so I'll have a little more time to work on this along with some of my other side projects.

Peter+
Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Great.....thanks for the update.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:37 PM
ripacheco

I found the link and installed the testflight app... but it always showed that there were no applications to install
Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 PM
pvogel

yeah, that's because to add new devices with access to the app I have to publish a new provisioning profile for the app (since it's a beta app, not yet an app store app) and I paused on it to resolve the voice recog issues.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 AM
jmdfs

Hello

I am French and F3A practice. With friends, we would like to have a version for Android RCCaller. What about RCCaller for Android? Can we have a version?
cordially
Old 01-01-2014, 06:36 AM
jacques33

Nice job Peter.
I'm also interested on Androïd version.
Two month ago, I asked to JETI developpers the same fonctionality for their radio DS16 or DC16 but I don't know when the soft will be avialable.
Kind regards
Jacques
Old 01-04-2014, 11:26 PM
pvogel

Yeah, I've asked for it from Jeti too.

the big problem is "hands free" on the advance, voice recognition on Android doesn't work continuously and on iPhone it doesn't work in a noisy environment (like a field with a glow or gas plane flying nearby). So let me take the opportunity to ask for thoughts here. I have a few viable options:

Bluetooth LE foot switch that would let you start, advance, replay, and go back. I'd have to build these (hey! That's what 3D printers are for :-) and I'd estimate the cost to be about $50 per.

Pebble/Agent/etc. smart watch control, twist your wrist to advance, replay (probably no go back option), click a button on the watch to start calling (you should still be on the ground at that point since the first call is "takeoff" :-) These cost $150, but have lots of other cool features to go along with your iPhone and/or Android device.

A Bluetooth LE set of switches you could adhere to your TX wherever you want to start/advance, replay, go back -- Again, I'd do this as a custom thing, probably cost about $50 per, possibly better than that, but I'm trying to be "safe" in the estimate.

If enough people are interested I could engage a manufacturer and do a custom board which would reduce the cost somewhat but take longer...

What would folks prefer?

Peter+
Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Dansy

I would go for a foot switch, I wouldn't want anything more on my Jeti tx. The only hold back for me is I yet to see the software for the iPhone.....
Old 01-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Gadget

I would like something to adhere to my radio, not a foot pedal. A blue tooth device that could be attached to a radio with Velcro and could be moved based on person preference, would be much more discreet than a foot pedal.

Gadget
Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Gadget

Peter+,
Do they make a 3 position momentary switch. I am a layman when it comes to electronics but by a 3 position momentary switch I mean, center position as normal or default, and the switch would spring from the forward and back positions to center position after being activated. I envision the switch being attached to radio with velcro or something so it could be positioned based on pilot preference
Forward position could be next maneuver, center position as neutral, and back position could previous maneuver. Maybe 2 quick flicks of the switch forward could be repeat the current maneuver. Again I don't know if such a switch is manufactured but I think it could be a solution to the challenges with RC caller.
I am very excited about RC caller because I am the only pattern flyer at my club and don't have a regular caller to help with my maneuvers.

Gadget
Old 01-08-2014, 12:46 PM
pvogel

yeah, there's various joystick/hatswitch type switches that would work. Good thought Gadget. I'm still looking into various ways of approaching the problem...

Another possibility would be something that lets you mount your iOS/Android device near your TX and uses gestures visible to the camera on the device to do forward/back/repeat. That would likely be less expensive, but would require that the phone be out where your hand can easily gesture to it...

Thoughts?

Peter+
Old 01-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I would absolutely pay $50 for a switch to mount to my radio (options could be replacing an existing switch, re-wiring an existing switch, or making a small hole and adding a switch?).

However, I still have Android 4.0.4 and don't believe I can update.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:55 PM
pvogel

Thanks Joe! If I have an alternative to using voice recognition, I can open it up to a wider range of Android devices. The restriction was based on which version of droid supported continuous voice recog. As it happens, the functionality there is seriously broken anyway and therefore unusable even in KitKat (one of my issues with Android development is the poor quality of Android in general, but I understand the need for supporting it).

Peter+
Old 01-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks! Maybe by then I will have a new phone, too, LOL. This Thunderbolt is a piece of ... Absolutely horrible support from HTC. I am really looking forward to some kind of electronic caller. I thought about a used 14 channel Futaba radio just for that feature (well OK, maybe a few other reasons), but that money would be better spent elsewhere.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Dansy

Peter, Since your a Jeti DC guys what have taught about your own setup......I probably would like something similar , for a switch a long one would be easier then a top hat type switch....especially when you require to also switch rates for let say the spin....I know logical switch but still not every body fly with that technologies (most do).

Hopefully you will have something for this summer being the only Pattern guy at my club.....I would be awesome for practice.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Neko

Peter, I'd like to try the current version (iPhone OS7) just for use at home on my simulator, where there are no noise issues. And for calm days when I am flying without a glow engine nearby. I've registered on TestFlight.

I'm also a Jeti user, and also wrote to them about adding a caller-like function to the Jeti program.

What about making an extension for the headphone cable? Then hack into the wire for the microphone or the in-line switches. Connect that to a switch that's mounted on the transmitter. There must be a way to read the result programmatically, the same way that the music player reads the switches on the headphone cable.

Just for interest, here is an alternate virtual caller solution from user WildPalms on RCGroups:
I took a spare Jeti R5i short range receiver, connected it to an Arduino microcontroller and read the signal (pulsewidth) from one of the channels. The Arduino then talks to a Sparkfun MP3 trigger board (using a serial link) that has all the manoeuvres on a microSD card. Flicking a momentary switch on the TX causes the Arduino to demand playback of the next manoeuvre MP3. I can also use the TX side slider to determine if that would be next, last or repeat.
He told me he was going to make version 2 on Raspbery Pi. Very cool, but the smartphone solution is much more elegant, to my mind.

David
Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 PM
pvogel

Neko,

I'll try to get an updated provisioning profile loaded for you this week so you can try the app.

Extension on the headphone cable doesn't really work since the switches on the cable are volume and I'm using the audio system already to speak the call :-) I DO, however now have a little prototype controller (I took video with my iPad at the field the other day, and then promptly left the iPad at the field :-( It's safe though so I'll get it this weekend) that puts a switch where you want it (I put it just above and to the left of the left stick so I can hit it with my finger without taking my hands off the sticks) to advance the call and it worked very nicely!

I've also just finished a little Pebble watch app that can be used (move your wrist/hand) to advance the caller, so if you have a watch you can do that too!

The 0, avg=0 isn't about scoring :-) It's the current force vector the watch is seeing (i.e. the watch was still) and you can choose the threshold movement that will trigger the "next" command.

Now I just need to re-enable voice control for the simulator use case :-)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! This is too fun! I'll be working on shrinking my prototype down to something easy to secure to your TX. Please let me know if you are interested...

Peter+
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Jetdesign

I am interested.

I am glad you are having fun with this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.