Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:20 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm very interested...in the switch using a DC-16.....you take PayPal
Old 01-30-2014, 05:38 AM
mharris_ny
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to let everyone know about a sequence caller app I developed and used last season. I, too, tried an android / iOS app and then an arduino (micro processor) based "triggered " approach to a caller. The smart phone app was not reliable and the external smart "switch " was complicated, cumbersome, and distracting while flying.

So I developed a phone based caller. I use my cell phone with a Bluetooth hands free headset and simply call a phone number. All the logic, code, and processing occurs on a voice processing server. I log into a website with anything that has a browser and create my personal sequences with maneuvers (and personal reminders like "switch to high rates "). It's easy to use and device independent. It doesn't require anything except cell service where I fly and let's me concentrate on flying...I just say "Next " and the app announces the next maneuver to me.

If the pattern community is interested in trying this app, I have created a website called myrccaller.com where you can try it for free. My goal is to help promote pattern / aerobatic flying so despite my costs for the development, per call time minute charges, server hosting, domain name, etc, the Sportsman 401 sequence is free. If the Aerobatic community finds value in this, it is fee based to cover my costs and I will continue to add features to it based on user feedback. Keep in mind I have just rolled this out for others to use...so there maybe little changes that need to be made.

I invite everyone to visit myrccaller.com for more details, try it, and let me know what you think. Right now it is available in English only ... but other languages can be added if others around the world are interested in using the app.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 PM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting approach Mike, how are you dealing with the noise at a field (i.e. someone with an imac gasser flying at the same time)? The iOS and Android apps are very reliable as far as playing a customizable sequence, but not very reliable in voice recognition when there's noise or wind. I flew sequences for 4 hours on Saturday with the arduino based switch with a wireless connection to the iPhone with no problems.

Peter+
Old 01-30-2014, 03:29 PM
n233w

I guess there are many paths to Rome. The process of memorizing sequences may have other benefits as well as being free.

Last edited by n233w; 01-30-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:43 PM
pvogel

I do eventually memorize the sequence, but when learning a new sequence the stress of flying the new sequence frequently drives out memory of what maneuver #7 is... I'm not unique in that problem :-)

Peter+
Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Jetdesign

I can't remember $#!t let alone 17 sequences between taking off and landing. I try. It's hard for me.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:17 PM
pvogel

If anyone has a pebble watch (http://www.getpebble.com) and would like to try it, the watch app is available in the pebble app store now, sign up on test flight for the iOS app so you can try the two together!

Peter+
Old 01-30-2014, 04:19 PM
pvogel

Originally Posted by Jetdesign
I can't remember $#!t let alone 17 sequences between taking off and landing. I try. It's hard for me.
LOL, yep! Especially when standing in front of the judges, even when I have the sequence memorized for practice, it still takes me a year before I could fly it in front of judges without forgetting something unless my caller tells me what's coming next!

Peter+
Old 01-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Gadget

Hi Peter,
The update that you sent out last week does not work on my iPhone with IOS7. When I open the app it goes to the select call controller screen and no further. There are no choices for me to choose at that screen either. The previous version of RC Caller did work on my phone.
Thanks for your help. I'm sorry if I am asking a question that has already been answered.

Gadget
Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM
pvogel

Hi Gadget,

Yep. That one *required* the prototype independent controller. Now that I also support the Pebble watch you can skip selection of a controller to use. I've got to fine tune the setup experience so that once you pair with a controller it doesn't ask you to pick one every time, etc. I've just been trying to prove out the concepts. New iOS version that lets you "skip" the controller selection is coming soon, I want to re-enable voice control for the simulator use-case first.

Peter+
Old 01-30-2014, 05:25 PM
mharris_ny

Hi Peter,

I have tested all of these headsets below with my cell phone and all seem to be VERY wind/noise tolerant- but your mileage may vary! (btw -no endorsement for staples):

http://www.staples.com/Jabra-C500-Co...35-159682451-2

http://www.staples.com/Motorola-HK25...product_937067

http://www.staples.com/Jabra-Extreme...product_366339
Old 01-31-2014, 02:40 PM
n233w

Originally Posted by pvogel
LOL, yep! Especially when standing in front of the judges, even when I have the sequence memorized for practice, it still takes me a year before I could fly it in front of judges without forgetting something unless my caller tells me what's coming next!

Peter+
I understand the problem and I know everybody's different with memorizing. What helps me is writing down the aresti a couple of times and going over these notes before I got to sleep. Then, as I'm falling asleep I "fly" it in my mind. After a several days of this mixed in with trying to fly it in real life, it's locked in. It takes time, yes, but since I rarely if ever have a chance to practice with a caller it's been "the only way".
Old 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM
pvogel

New build for iOS just posted to TestFlight. If you have a bluetooth headset, I'd love to know if the voice control works well for you at the field and what headset you are using. I'll be trying a Jawbone ERA this weekend. If you have a pebble smartwatch there's a companion app on the pebble app store, I can provide directions for how to use it. If you are serious about testing my Bluetooth LE prototype device, contact me via e-mail or PM, I can produce a limited number of them for beta testing purposes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGJRSRwFTzU Peter+
Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 AM
mharris_ny

Hi Peter,

I think anything we all can do to attract more pattern fliers and help them become better fliers is great...I really like the new version with the switch - especially for those who don't have cell service at the flying field.

The weak link that we have found is not the bluetooth headset device but the "horsepower" of the voice recognition software on an Android or Apple smart phone. When you compare those operating systems to a server running Unix it's like comparing a 3s/OS 52 four stroke to a 10s/YS175. By running all the processing on a server, you don't have to deal with limitations of the operating system/voice recognition application nor the problem of many different versions needed for each version of the client operating system (how many versions of Android are there now???). For a device specific solution like yours, you may want to check out the new BeagleBone Black at http://beagleboard.org/products/beaglebone%20black - that has the potential to run a more powerful Linux voice recognition software application with multiple I/O options.

The approach we have taken with the http://www.myrccaller.com application is maybe overkill for this type of voice recognition software usage...but it sure makes everything much more simple and centralized. I invite everyone to call 260-333-9131 (long distance, air time usage, data usage, etc apply) to try it for free.

Mike
Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 AM
pvogel

Hi Mike,

I agree completely on the "more pattern fliers" thing :-)

On iOS, there's a Carnegie Mellon University project that does an outstanding job on the voice recognition if I can solve the background noise problem that I was experiencing with the stock iPhone headset -- some of the bluetooth headsets have noise cancellation in them which may solve the problem. By running processing on the server (like Siri does) you limit yourself to working in places where cell coverage is adequate for Data (Siri) or Voice (your solution), you introduce latency (for Siri at least) and you introduce not insignificant costs for yourself as well as your users. The BeagleBone/Raspberry Pi/Gallileo solution is an interesting thought as well (the pattern scoring device I'm working on uses a Gadgeteer device at the moment.

Peter+
Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM
pvogel

Just posted a new iOS 7 build for beta testers, updated the interface for iOS 7 and created a more coherent model around selecting how the call can be controlled, any combination of voice, pebble watch, or custom BLE device will work. When you click on something that has multiple options behind it (i.e. the class to call for) the picker will expand into the view in-line per iOS 7 UI guidelines.

If anyone is in an area where weather permits flying at a field this weekend and can try the voice recognition with the bluetooth headset I'd love to hear whether it works for you in field conditions. I tried it in traffic today with a Jawbone ERA and it was very promising (the standard iPhone headset fails in the same conditions).

I'm thinking it's *almost* ready to hit the app store!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-07 14.54.47.png
Views:	516
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1966382  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
pvogel

Apologies to testers, builds 10 and 11 had issues initializing the voice recognizer due to files that got dropped out of the ipa. I've fixed that in build 12 and have confirmation from one tester other than myself that the problem is fixed.

Peter+
Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Just did a small test and it seem to work well. Thank you
Old 02-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Jetdesign

Can a set of wired headphones with a mic work, or does it need to be bluetooth?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:33 PM
pvogel

Wired will work. The problem with most of the wired sets I've seen is they dangle the mic down near your neck and do nothing to protect against wind noise, etc. so it works perfectly at home or in an office, but when you get out to the field where the wind is blowing across the mic and glow/gas planes are flying around, the quality of the voice recognition goes to hell and the caller fails to fulfill its purpose :-) I am hoping that a good bluetooth with noise reduction features (like the Jawbone Era and/or a boom that puts the mic right by your mouth like the plantronics sets and some Jabra sets) will make it functional with voice recognition.

In addition, I support the pebble watch (move your wrist/hand to advance or click a button) and a custom bluetooth 4.0 device with a switch that I designed (see video a few posts back) to control the call if you can't get voice to work for you. I'm working on assembling a few more of the devices and putting together a decent enclosure for them. I think the cost will come to about $50 for those.

Peter+
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Gadget

Peter+,
Any word about how the 2014 Jawbone Era is working? My local Best Buy does not have it in stock. I thought I would check with the beta testers the before I purchased the device.

I have a plantronics issued with my work phone and it seemed to work pretty well, but not good enough to try at the field. I'm sure it does not have much in the way of noise cancellation.

Thanks
Gadget
Old 02-17-2014, 01:01 PM
pvogel

Sorry Gadget, not yet, weather and family obligations have kept me from the field :-( I'm hoping for a report from some of my other testers soon :-)

Peter+
Old 02-18-2014, 04:51 AM
crazyf3a

HI
Nice App but I have this on my Futaba T14MZ too. Not with a so nice woman voice. But with my voice and I can recorded many tipps to all figures. If I want.
Not for me. But a nice toy. Not more.
SR
Andreas
Old 02-18-2014, 05:20 AM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

You'd have to use practically every switch the 14 has to do this, and then remember which switch is which.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 AM
crazyf3a

No. I only use one Switch. (F). This is a Moment switch and goes from figure to figure. But you cannot go to return. or replay. This make the app. better.
SR
Andreas

Last edited by crazyf3a; 02-18-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.