Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Wing Tube Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 08:47 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wing Tube Fit

Putting together a new model and the wing tube fit is too good (too tight). What is the best way to hone it in for the perfect fit

JimO
Old 06-01-2020, 05:45 PM
JerMilosek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,

Have you tried LaBelle 134 a dry powder lube the model railroad guys use? I've used it and it works.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAk&uact=5

If it doesn't work more info is needed, which wing/fuse tube is tight, right wing/fuse/left wing? If you're lucky it would be the fuse section which is the shortest and easiest to free up. I use a hardwood dowel available from a local ACE store that has a diameter about 1/8" less than the tube ID. Using a band saw I place a slit in it 8 1/2" long (the width of a piece of sand paper). Now place the sand paper in the slit and wrap around the dowel 3 or more turns but less than what is required for a tight fit. You can now insert the dowel/sand paper in the ID and rotate it to increase the ID and get a looser fit. IF/when the sandpaper fits too tight simply reverse the rotation direction to tighten the wind and you'll be able to remove it.

If all 3 sections are tight and the wing tube is aluminum, as was the case with my Tower Kaos 60, purchase a piece of material that looks like window screening but feels gritty in the plumber section of Lowes or Home Depot.
Link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-5-Pa...per/1000197147
Wrap a piece around the OD of the wing tube and make like you are shining shoes. Rotate the wing tube frequently to completely hit the entire circumference.

If you get to the point of a sloppy fit you can try rebuilding it with CA that is immediately wiped with a towel or use monokote.

All the best, J e r

Old 06-04-2020, 05:37 AM
EHFAI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim
If it's carbon check to ensure that it's round, if not sand the high "sides" starting w 320 and working to 600. If round, work down evenly w 400 to 600. Wet limits the mess.
If it's aluminum (especially anodized) it's probably best to work on the sockets, the split dowel / sandpaper technique works.

The following users liked this post:
wattsup (06-04-2020)