Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Excelleron 90

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:39 PM
morsilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
I have some experience running 30-40cc on 2 meter planes. But not the 20 cc on 1.7 meter. I suggest that you pipe the engine with the ESComposites 26G pipe. Should be able to turn about an 18-6 to 8 at useful rpm.

the small gassies put out just so so power on mufflers but seem to really come alive on pipe. Try it....
thanks a lot MTK! Would it be a better choice to use a NIB Rossi R 90 FI RC with a long tuned pipe? I have this engine lying around on my workbench for a long time. What do you recommend? Use the DLE or the Rossi?
Old 07-11-2018, 03:49 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Morsilla,
First, MTK passed away a couple of years ago; so information on running gassers in pattern has been almost none existent. Second, I would run the Rossi. Much better power to weight and it will run with a larger prop and longer pipe. I would try a 15 x 8 or 15 x 9 prop (you can get a 15 x 9 from an Aeronaut prop distributor).
Good luck!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:23 PM
morsilla

Originally Posted by flywilly
Hi Morsilla,
First, MTK passed away a couple of years ago; so information on running gassers in pattern has been almost none existent. Second, I would run the Rossi. Much better power to weight and it will run with a larger prop and longer pipe. I would try a 15 x 8 or 15 x 9 prop (you can get a 15 x 9 from an Aeronaut prop distributor).
Good luck!
thanks a lot Flywilly for your kind advice and my condolences for your loss.

the original manual suggest a 14x5 or 14x6 props. Do you think it would be no problem to use a 15 x 9 as you suggest?

would using a bigger prop, aid in breaking during downlines?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have not owned or run a Rossi 90, but Rossi makes a great engine! Larger props running at lower rpms are a relatively recent trend for 2-stroke engines. The pattern fliers have been doing it for years because you get more vertical pull, a bit less horizontal speed which makes it easier to stay in the 'box' and less noise. Check the prop recommendations for the OS 'AX' series of engines; a lot more diameter than the 'good old days'. I think your Rossi will turn a larger prop, especially with a long pipe length. Also, using a larger volume pipe helps, too (90-1.20 size versus a '90' pipe). You can try a 14 x 8 and work your way up in size and increased pipe length. I will check the set-up I had on a K&B 1.00 turning a 14 x 10 APC with excellent performance (and no pump). I am running 15% nitro and you mentioned in the other thread that you live abroad and don't have access to nitro fuels which may impact the maximum prop size you can reliably run, but pipe length usually plays a more important role. The Rossi 90 in the Excelleron should provide plenty of power!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 PM
morsilla

Hi Everyone and thanks for the great tips and help!!! I ended up picking up a YS 110FZ Engine, I was way too frustrated with the other choices and modifications and I read that most of the sople speak wonders about this engine. I hope I made the right choice :-)

here are sone pictures of how it fits with the anti vibration mount. I had to re-make the original mount using high density rubber (used for car engines) , since original dampers were worn out from being stored

Last edited by morsilla; 07-12-2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Pics not showing