Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

H9 Aresti questions v437.5

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Aresti questions v437.5

Hi everyone. I recently picked up a H9 Aresti at the LHS. I have done a search here and still have a couple of questions.
First of all, this is my first pattern " type " airplane . It's primary use will be to learn more about precision flying ( is this the first symptom of the pattern bug ? ). It will be set up using JR equipment with DS811 servos. I intend to replace the horizontal stab with one made from solid sheet balsa, and to replace the tail wheel with a Sullivan S860. I will also use Dave Brown pushrods.
Now for the questions :
1. Can anyone recommend a one piece gear for this airplane ? I fly off of a rough grass strip and need the extra strength. Will a carbon gear be OK for this application or should I stay with aluminum ?
2. Will the Saito .82 work well for this plane ? I am also considering the new YS 63S but I believe the Saito would be a more versatile engine on down the road.
I would also appreciate any setup tips the pros here have.

Thanks much everyone !

One more thing, would the BN Dynamic F3A make a good next step after the Aresti ? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:41 PM
wladkummer
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: H9 Aresti questions v437.5

Hi ,

I´m flying Aresti now and have achieved a near perfect trimming for aerobatics.
1 - There is really no need to substitute the stab for a solid balsa one, it is just wasted backward weight. Follow the instructions and glue it accordingly. The failures registered were caused by flutter and bad gluing.
2- With the Saito .82 (I have a .72 with a perry shaker pump) the plane will be nose-heavy so mount the rudder servo close to it. I mounted mine at the bottom just after the last bulkhead. You will save the weight of the pushrod.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:58 PM
wladkummer
My Feedback: (7)

Hi there,

I´m flying an Aresti now and have achieved a near perfect trimming for aerobatics.
1 - There is really no need to substitute the stab for a solid balsa one, it is just a unwanted weight gain. Follow the instructions and glue it accordingly. The failures registered were caused by flutter and bad gluing.
2- With the Saito .82 (I have a .72 with a perry shaker pump) the plane will be nose-heavy so mount the rudder servo close to it. I mounted mine at the bottom just after the last bulkhead. You will save the weight of the pushrod and will have a very stiff link. I´ve used ball links for this one.
3- Use a micro servo for throttle control and save a oz.
4- I mounted my tank at the CG. Since the Aresti is a short coupled plane, small CG differences will make a BIG impact at the performance. To use my Saito I´m using a Perry Shaker Pump and still trying to get a smooth running engine. You may want to stick with the YS.
5- I lowered the wing incidence to about 0,75 degrees. The airplane now makes a fine downward vertical, pulling very little to the canopy
6- Set the dihedral up so that the top surface of the wing is flat with your workbench.
7- The LG is stiff enough for a grass field. Just leave those pants off!
8- That´s all I can remember for now....
Good flying
Wladimir
Old 11-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Rebellion

Thanks for taking the time to reply. One thing I forgot to mention is that I will definitely be loosing the H9 aluminum motor mount ! The Saito 82 and 72 are virtually the same weight so I will hopefully be OK there. My only concern with the 82 is that it is noticeably larger in the head and cylinder area than the 72. Hope it will fit OK .
Old 11-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Rebellion

Anyone else ? Any info would be much appreciated !
Old 11-15-2004, 07:18 PM
swlarcham
My Feedback: (1)

Quote"It's primary use will be to learn more about precision flying ( is this the first symptom of the pattern bug ? )." No it's your 2nd - the 1st symptom was looking at the H-9 Aresti

I was flying one last year.
I used the stock gear and a second aluminum plate over both plates before the screws were installed. Had some rather hard landings and bent the gear, but it did not tear out.

I was running a Irvine 53 so I can be of no help with the Saito.

I agree with the stock stab. No problems at all. No reinforcing just glues in as per instructions.

Eddie

Eddie
Old 11-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Rebellion

Like the idea of an aluminum plate on the gear. Sounds like a good fix and I have access to the aluminum ( I work in the FS aircraft industry ).

Thanks,

Dave
Old 11-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

I have flown a H9 Aresti all summer long and can tell you that the H-stab was an accident looking for a place to happen on mine. 1st flight it experienced some mild uncommanded pitch oscillations that got my attention. I packed up and put the plane away. As I was putting it in the car I barely clipped one side of the H-stab and it broke off! I inspected it at home and discovered the balsa was extraordinarily light - soft mushy stuff with little strength. I suspect that the stab was very close to failing inflight (the oscillations), and no, in case you're wondering, I didn't score the balsa cutting the covering away. As I'd read another thread from a fellow that had his stab fold inflight (and cited this as a possible reason), I was particularly careful about this. I used the stab halves and made a new carbon fiber re-inforced center section for it (you may have found the thread). Recently I caught the tail on the grass doing a low inverted pass and slid it in at full throttle with minimal damage. I'd snapped the verticle stab off and had to repair it - guess what, same soft/weak balsa. Overall build quaulity (aside from the balsa selection) is excellent - well cut parts, good glue joints, awesome Ultracoat covering job and it flys great IMO. I lost a leg over the field one day, never found it so wound up replacing my gear with aluminum. During this last rebuild I repositioned the engine and added a new balsa front end to it. I have a Irvine .53 in it. Just installed a Tower muffler on it - Wow! Does that muffler ever make that engine come alive. Pix attached. Would I buy another H9 ARF - you bet. The lesson I learnt from this though is that when you build 'em yourself you know what grade of balsa you're using.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90613.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	193296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65369.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	193297  
Old 11-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Rebellion

Daryl, when you do a rebuild you don't play around do you ? Nice !
It would seem that, as with just about all ARFs , there is a good bit of variation in the wood used. Some claim to have no problems with the stab while others like yourself have had them fail. Guess the smart thing to do will be to remove the covering and take a look. A little time spent here might save a plane.

Thanks

Dave