Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Piedmont Temptation

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Freeman Jr.
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Piedmont Temptation

I have a piedmont temptation and I am trying to figure out what the best 2 stroke engine is for the model, Webra, O.S., Etc. Also what pipe set-up for either and prop. Sorry for all the questions, I am a pylon guy that wants to fly pattern again and it has been about 8 years since I have touched it. Oh what does the novice schedule look like now. I am trying to get ready for Tangerine. Thanks so much

Pattern Rookie.
Gary Freeman Jr.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:38 PM
GDAVIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Piedmont Temptation

Gary,
I just installed an OS 160FX, Perry VP30 Pump, Mueller Header, Macs 1092 Pipe, in a Tojiero 2M and it is a fantastic setup. That combo would work great in a Temtation. IMHO

Score sheets are here
http://www.nsrca.org/scoresheetsA.htm

Aresti is here
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/a...4&d=1159250815

Greg
Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 PM
BillB

I have a Temptation. I'm running an O.S. 1.40 RX, Macs header, Aeroslave pipe, APC 17X12 prop. I use 15% CoolPower (synthetic) from Morgan fuels.
Two pieces of advice.
1. Break in the engine on the ground with a gallon of castor based fuel. Until the ring seats you cannot get a good idle setting and the transition is rough, at best.
2. Replace the main bearing with the bearing for an O.S. 1.40 efi. The main bearing in the 1.40 RX is crap. It is good for about 50 flights. When the engine starts quitting for no apparent reason, it's a sure sign that the bearing is shot. The efi bearing is good for many 100s of flights. Also do not use Boca bearings. The 1.40 has a main bearing that is 36.9mm in diameter. The Boca replacements are all 37mm. You can get one in, but you'll probably trash the crankcase getting it out. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:05 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: Freeman Jr.

I have a piedmont temptation and I am trying to figure out what the best 2 stroke engine is for the model, Webra, O.S., Etc. Also what pipe set-up for either and prop. Sorry for all the questions, I am a pylon guy that wants to fly pattern again and it has been about 8 years since I have touched it. Oh what does the novice schedule look like now. I am trying to get ready for Tangerine. Thanks so much

Pattern Rookie.
Gary Freeman Jr.

Stay away from the Webra. I have run OS 1.40's with great success.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:21 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with GDAVIS. For a new guy in pattern, the OS160 FX is about as close as drop in and play as you're gonna get. The Karl Mueller header is a return-to-center header for the side exhaust engine. You're going to need a strong starter for any of these large 2 strokes

As you get more experience, the OS140 and the Webra 160 are great engines. The W160 is by far the stronger of the whole bunch including the four strokes, but that kind of strength is only needed for the very top schedules. Both have short comings but both work exceedingly well once set-up.

The major problem with any 2 stroke is to get it to run rich. Too many inexperienced fellas run these lean, or without enough lube in the fuel, blow bearings and worse, and blame the engine brand. The keys are the hottest plug you can get such a OSF type, 15% but no more than 20% nitro fuel with 18% good lube, and setting the main pipe baffle at approximately 24" from the plug, straight line. Again many inexperienced fellas try the pipe at too long a setting and then chase their tail until they get it right or give up, usually the latter. 15% Cool Power is an excellent fuel to start with. If you want a bit more pop, go to 20%.

I religiously run the engine dry after a session and squirt 10 drops of good quality castor in it for storage. That's about it

Good luck

MattK

ORIGINAL: Freeman Jr.

Pattern Rookie.
Gary Freeman Jr.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Julius-Alexander

Do you know who still supply the Webra 160 Matt?

Thanks,

JAM.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:15 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JAM,

Have you checked with Horizon? Last time I looked (its been sometime tho) they carried it. And their service is really excellent. BTW, a stainless bearing is not necessary in this engine as long as you run it rich throughout the throttle curve, and that's a function of your pipe setting to a large extent. Same for any 2 stroke, although I know many have blown the OS140 bearings and swear by the ss EFI bearings.

A better way to determine if your pipe setting is very close is to put the model in a shallow, 5 degree dive at full throttle. If the engine goes fat, the pipe is too long. You want a setting that will not change engine rpm (sound pitch) in a shallow dive. My good friend Dean Pappas tipped me on this one and its one of the best tips I can pass on. It works for any 2 piped stroke

One other thing...the engine comes with the flight adjustable mixture carb and that works well, but to me its too cumbersome. I use the original TN carb in mine simplifying the set up.

If you get it, contact me and I'll walk you through the set-up. It is pretty simple really

MattK
ORIGINAL: Julius-Alexander

Do you know who still supply the Webra 160 Matt?

Thanks,

JAM.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Julius-Alexander

PMed you MAtt.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 AM
shomenda

Gary,

You can find the new Sportsman sequence in the NSRCA website, then when you're ready to practice, you know where to find us.

Steve
Old 11-17-2006, 07:28 PM
JAS

Where is the CG on this? Also, does anyone have any starting throws?