Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Futaba 9150 with JR 10X

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9150 with JR 10X

Hey guys,

I've been having a little trouble lately with my aileron servos in my Partner. The centering is pretty bad on them and it's causing the airplane to track very poorly in radii. They're Futaba 9150 low profile servos and I'm flying them with a 10X with an SPCM 649 receiver. The servos came in the airplane when I got it, and they're a little too odd of a size for me to want to change them out, if I can avoid it. Has anyone used these servos with this transmitter and noted any problems, or am I an anomoly? I've changed the servos out this evening, but just on the ground did not notice any difference in their behavior. I'll fly the airplane tomorrow and see if it changed anything, but just by the looks on the ground, it doesn't look like it's helped the problem any. I've not flown the airplane with another 10X to see if it's the aileron pot going in my transmitter, but I have not ruled that out either. I take good care of my radio, but it is going on five years old, and hasn't been sent in to Horizon for a checkup. If there is anyone out there that can comment from experience, I'd surely appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Old 12-22-2006, 07:12 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Futaba 9150 with JR 10X

Ryan, why are you trying to mix oil with water???

Chuck (grin)
Old 12-22-2006, 07:24 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely the servos -
just unplug em-- then make a new model in your TX and leave it at 100% no expo or mix and plug each aileron -one at a time into rudder - elev and ail ports
run the sticks (or trims)slowly back n forth and watch the servo - if it hiccups on all theree channels then the aileron stick pot is likely just fine - My10x is also 5 years old and is still spot on .
servos are the first thing to go -unless you have a certain un named tx with 9 channels --
I have never found an error on my 10X stick outputs but bad servos yeh usually a pot that has a flat spot in it and twitches under alternating airloads. pretty standard crap.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:17 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Ryan, if the servos are old then the pots may be worn. Send them back to futaba to have them replace the pots, and they should be as good as new. I just my 8231 back to JR and the pots were worn, got them back and they are awesome. My .02 cents
Old 12-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan,
while I have no experience with the Futaba Aileron servos. I have heard they are very good. All pots will wear. The Servo pots will wear much faster than the ones in the TX gimbals.

JR service can check you TX gimbals and replace them if the pots are worn. I would say that although we don't like to be away from our TX's for very long that they should go in for a checkup every couple of years. This does depend on how much you fly. I send my TX's in every other year. I have 2 of them and they get the sticks all calibrated and centered up and all the little wear and tear items taken care. If you have not sent it in in nearly 5 years its past due. I would still bet the servos are where the biggest problem is but you will probably see a difference if you transfer the model to a different 10X TX depending again on how much use it has.

Let me know if I can help further.
[email protected]

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 12-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Eric.Henderson

Ryan,
I ran those servos in my Pinnacles beaues of eth servo openings and wing contour. I had trim and odd "movement" problems. Too cut a very long story short, I had to fit JR magnets (chokes) in the leads to the aileron servos next to the RX. After that they got "tight" again and my spurious servo issues all went away throughout the plane.

Regards,

Eric.

ORIGINAL: Ryan Smith

Hey guys,

I've been having a little trouble lately with my aileron servos in my Partner. The centering is pretty bad on them and it's causing the airplane to track very poorly in radii. They're Futaba 9150 low profile servos and I'm flying them with a 10X with an SPCM 649 receiver. The servos came in the airplane when I got it, and they're a little too odd of a size for me to want to change them out, if I can avoid it. Has anyone used these servos with this transmitter and noted any problems, or am I an anomoly? I've changed the servos out this evening, but just on the ground did not notice any difference in their behavior. I'll fly the airplane tomorrow and see if it changed anything, but just by the looks on the ground, it doesn't look like it's helped the problem any. I've not flown the airplane with another 10X to see if it's the aileron pot going in my transmitter, but I have not ruled that out either. I take good care of my radio, but it is going on five years old, and hasn't been sent in to Horizon for a checkup. If there is anyone out there that can comment from experience, I'd surely appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

Ryan