Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Looking for cheap pattern type plane for a YS 120

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Looking for cheap pattern type plane for a YS 120

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:40 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Looking for cheap pattern type plane for a YS 120

I'm looking for a simple, inexpensive, 90 size pattern type plane for my YS 120. ARF would be prefered. There is an Excelleron 90 at the field that seems to fit the bill, but they're no longer made. Looked at the Venus 60 and the Goldberg Obsession but I think the 120 is a bit big for the venus and a bit small for the Obsession. I'm not looking for a competition grade plane, just something to fly the basic pattern and IMAC routines and improve my flying skills.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:24 PM
jimmyseven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for cheap pattern type plane for a YS 120

I had an infinity 90 with an OS 120 which flew very well until the wing folded during a snap roll. I am also looking for a pattern plane to replace this at the moment and would probably have an Fliton Inspire 90 if they were available in the UK yet.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:34 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Can't beat the Hangar 9 Showtime for no coupling, great aerobatics, nicely over-powered with a YS120, easy on the pocketbook. Fly it in competition if you want, or practice, or sport. I actually think this plane would get a lot more respect if it didn't have the side force generators--so just leave 'em off.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree about the Showtime. Mine was a great flying airplane with a YS 110. Now I have that same engine mounted in a Venus II. For pattern style flying, the Venus is much better than the Showtime IMHO...The Showtime control surface's are huge to make it 3D capable while the Venus II is strictly a pattern plane and it has no coupling issues either. If you want to fly pattern, I would go with the Venus....RS
Old 07-04-2007, 06:35 PM
majortom-RCU

There have been a number of 'artistic aerobatic/3D/FAI' hybrid ARFs that convert easily into decent pattern practice models, or introduction to pattern without the expensive pedigree. I regard the Showtime as probably the best Ive seen in this category. The Venus 40 size was another. You'd think the big Venus II ought to be as well, but for some reason the Venus II's I've seen have not dazzled me the way the Showtime has. Probably more a matter of sub-optimal set-ups or pilot skill than shortcomings in the design of the model.

The fundamental trick to converting any of these for pattern is to reduce the throws on ailerons & elevators to a minimum, shortest distance from hub to connector on servos (using wheels, not arms) + longest distance from hinge line to connector on control horns. People who haven't tried this are usually very surprised to see how tight a loop you can pull with 10 degree elevator deflection.

But tight loops is not what we're after in pattern. Big loops that take maybe eight or ten seconds to complete give you more time to see what's happening and react to it with corrective inputs to keep it on track, circular rather than elliptical or other common errors.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:33 PM
riot3d

Try the World Models Spot-On 120, your YS will be perfect for this plane, don't know about IMAC though.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:39 PM
majortom-RCU

The Spot-On 120 is an excellent product, and I'm generally a fan of World Models stuff; only problem is it does not compare well on the 'inexpensive' specification. I think it's good value, but not as much of a bargain as the Showtime.

You can compete in IMAC Basic with just about anything that flies. The scale requirement only sets in at Sportsman and above (which corresponds to Intermediate in Pattern). So any good aerobatic model, which means any good pattern model, will fill the bill for IMAC practice and competition in the entry class. You will maybe suffer from giant scale envy, but that's always the way in this hobby (as well as a few others I've spent time & money on).
Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Luizinho
My Feedback: (10)

I suggest you the EPSILON 90 ARF Special Edition www.netboxhobby.com
https://www.netboxhobby.com/displayP...4&categoryId=9
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92074.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	716844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35637.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	716845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52851.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	716846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30705.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	716847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13800.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	716848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96943.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	716849  
Old 07-07-2007, 11:19 PM
rodney tanner

The Focus Sport 90.
I have an old YS 120 Standard waiting in its box!

[link]http://www.piedmontmodels.com[/link]
Attached Images     
Old 07-09-2007, 03:37 AM
greg_m

Hi There

The CMPro Leo 110 F3a is about the best value for the size engine. Great looking plane, great flying and very competent in aerobatics. Easy slow handling for nice slow landings.

rgds, Greg
Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a very nice flying two meter Odyssey that I would make somone a hell of a deal on. It is set up for an OS 140 that is actually more power than you need. It would fly fine on an OS 120 AX or the YS 120 you have.

I fly my Epicure II in advanced on a YS 120 FZ and it is four ounces heavier than the Odyssey.

Let me kow if you are interested.
Anthony