Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
I fly thumbs only
41.03%
I fly forefinger and thumb (AKA, Pinch method)
58.97%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Thumbs or pinch method

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
BillyGoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumbs or pinch method

Ok I know this topic gets beat to death on a regular basis. However I'm NOT looking for opinions over which one is best.

The reason for the poll is I'm writing an un-biased thumb vs. pinch article for our club newsletter. Polls in the past polled the general R/C population and those results consistently come out pretty even between the two.

So the reason for this poll in this forum is to see if the results are the same for those that fly competition.

I’ll also welcome any insight that may help with the article.

Thanks for participating.

I'll be posting the same poll in the IMAC section.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Thumbs or pinch method

Hi BillyGoat.
I too asked the question on this forum under "Pincher or Thumber". I do compete and still found it be close to 50/50 among my fellow competitors.
Thanks'
The problem with a lousy flying airplane is usually a loose nut behind the stick! In my case anyway.
RC
Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

Ok so I might be different. I fly Thumbs on Throttle and rudder (Left stick) and Pinch on ail and elev( right stick)
This is how my Dad flies and how i learned
Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 AM
BillyGoat

BTT to catch maybe a few more pilots, before I use the stats.

Thanks to all that particapted!

Bill
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have flown thumbs on Mode 1 since 1965. But now I am considering changing to the "pinch" with thumbs and forefinger (Mode 1). I fly classic pattern and a little IMAC. Maybe it's the arthritis in my fingers.

Ralph White
Neoga, IL
Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Nickolas

I fly the pinch method but I wish I could fly with thumbs only. It is very difficult to fly without a neckstrap and also when I borrow someone else's Tx I can not get used to it as I am used to some specific stick length. I think the pinch method should be accompanied with some kind of tray which is not very practical.

Top guys such as QQ, Hyde, Shulman, Onda, Mayer, Seba, Leseberg etc. fly thumbs only if I am not mistaken, with very good results. I think it is up to what someone prefers and finds more practical.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Are you doing one for 3D pilots too? Just curious what their results would be (not like it matters much[>:] [it's a joke, it's a joke! {Ok, no it isn't }]).
Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 AM
walterPPK

I fly using only my thumbs. I fly this way my Helis also with good results. I admit that I tried once to fly using the pinch method but felt like I was back at square one in terms of my ability to fly, so I thought it was not worth the trouble.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:50 PM
DaveL322

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a dexterity / physiological perspective, the pinch method is more accurate - the thumb is meant to work in concert with the fingers.

As to why many of the top fliers are thumb flyers, I'll offer the following theory - they learned to fly at a young age, when their hands were too small to comfortably hold the TX while using the pinch method. I tried years ago to change to the pinch method, but couldn't do so after years of flying with thumbs.

Today, I teach the pinch method, and also teach to never come off the sticks. Too many beginners relax the left hand (Mode II) when they are not doing takeoffs/landings. It is a bad habit that impedes the learning curve when more advanced flying comes into play.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 PM
KLXMASTER14

Pinch.