Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Heart of Ohio Pattern Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Columbus Ron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heart of Ohio Pattern Classic

The Heart of Ohio Pattern Classic will be held June 12th and 13 in Columbus, OH.

See attached flyer for details.

The TORKS field has a 70 ft by 1000 ft paved runway.

The field faces east so we normally start flying around 10:30 on Sat and Sun.

The field is open for practice flying all day Friday as well as Sat and Sun before 10:30 am.

Look forward to seeing you.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Qo40446.pdf (116.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Heart of Ohio Pattern Classic

This is a GREAT CONTEST at one of the nicest facilities available! The club ensures a superb flying experience especially to the first timers. If you've been thinking about giving pattern a fly, here is your chance...St.C RC Flyers will have at least 1 new Sportsman and 5 others that will attend... Come on out and join in on the fun!

Rick
Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 AM
viva_peru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello guys,

I am thinking about coming. I am just getting started so this will be my first contest if I make it. I would be flying the Sportsman sequence. I am currently working on a Sebart Angel, but since I am out of the country right now, I don't think that I will be able to get it done in time. I will have to decide between the Groovy 50 and Fliton Extra 330 that I have. Both planes will probably be tiny compared to the rest of the competition so that might be a little intimidating. Any scoop on what the other Sportman pilots might be flying? Also, I was wondering if we might be required to fly the sequence twice per flight. Everything I fly is electric and in order to keep the planes light, I use relatively small packs so duration is a little short: about 7 minutes. I just would to know if maybe I should order some larger packs before the contest.

Thanks,

Teo
Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Jim Grunt

my advice would be to go if you can. The help you get at your first contest is worth more than a one-year practicing on your own in my opinion. You'll have fun, learn what you're doing right and wrong and make a bunch of great new friends. As for the plane I flew of the Venus II for my first year but there were sport planes like Ultra sticks,Sig Sr,Spot on and so on. I have yet to see in a contest to sportsman pilots fly their sequence twice.
P. S. You'll probably enjoy looking at other pilots plane setups also I know I learned a lot just from looking at their planes.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Viva, I know of one other guy who's planning on making his pattern debut at that contest, flying a Spot On 50 so don't be afraid to fly. Jim is right, you'll learn more at your first contest than you would in a year on your own.
The people there want you to do well and have a good time. They want you to come back.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:02 PM
viva_peru

Hey guys,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will do what I can to make the contest. I agree that there is much to be learned just from being there. When ever I see a contest report, the first thing I do is take a look at the photos to get a sense of what people are flying. Based on what I have read, the events also seem to be a lot of fun. In my club, we have a couple of ex-pattern fliers and one of them has agreed to start coaching me which would be of great help. Right now, I practice mostly on my own without a caller. We also have a couple of IMAC pilots, one of which has helped me a few time by pointing out what I was doing wrong. Learning so far has been both fun and frustrating. I guess that is to be expected. I will probably fly the Extra since it is bigger plane than the Groovy and thus easier to see at a distance. Now, I just need to get some practice in.

Thanks,

Teo
Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 PM
RC11

Teo,
I know of two from my club that will be flying Sportsman at Grove City. Dave Ruminski will fly his Groovy and Bill Kutchell will fly his Spot On 50. Dave has a couple of contests under his belt and it will be Bill's 1st contest as a flyer. Dave's first contest was at St.C where he flew a tiny electric Mustang in gail force wind. The first contest my son flew was with a Can A DO DO 60. UCANDO... He got his feet wet and 2 years later I jumped in. He has since moved up to Intermediate and I will be flying there too after two years as a Sportsman.

Hope to see you there. Bring something to fly and just swallow the butterflys. You'll be glad you did.

Check out the St. C pattern contest thread from last year and you'll meet alot of the guys and gals. Some of the best folks I've had the fortune to have met. Scott McNickel did a superb job of taking lots of pics. There is a pic of each pilot and his plane and the class in which he competed.

Rick
Old 05-12-2010, 08:55 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Teo
Welcome to Pattern first of all. I have seen everything from a trainer 40 to a 2 meter set up flying in Sportsman. In Sportsman its practice and familiarity with your planjle that scores best. We will not fly the 401 sequence twice per flight so don't worry about that. So come on down eat and have fun. If there's anything I can help you with just let me know. My e-mail address is [email protected] my phone number can be found on the flyer.
Hope to see you and most of the others here
Dowayne
Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 PM
viva_peru

Dowayne,

Thanks for the encouragement and the offer of help. I am planing on coming and if work allows, I will try to be there on Friday so that I can squeeze a practice flight or two. It will be fun and a learning experience.

Teo
Old 06-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Jim Grunt

Ann and I are planning on getting there Friday about noon. Right now the weather is looking fantastic especially since my wife loves it when it's over 85°. Let me know if you need any help setting anything up since we could be there earlier in the day.
I will also be bringing a SL-1 to sell with a YS 120 ready to fly minus receiver for $450. The plane has retractable gear and I also have carbon fiber gear and weel pants if somebody would like to convert it to a fixed gear plane.

Jim
Old 06-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Columbus Ron

As long as the weather prediction holds up I will be at the field early on Friday.

Can't think of anything we need right now other than lots of pilots.

See ya Friday.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Jim Grunt

Ron,What time do you plan on being at the field on friday.

Jim
Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 AM
viva_peru

Hello guys,

I have been taking a look at the weather for this coming weekend and it seems that there is a 60% chance of rain/thunderstorms on Saturday followed by a 30% chance of rain/thunderstorms on Sunday. This is based on the NOAA forcast. The wind forecast does not look too bad. I am about 4.5 hours away and given the forecast I am wondering if I should make the trip or not. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Teo
Old 06-10-2010, 07:16 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Teo,

I've been flying competitively for about 18 years now. In that time I have been to exactly 1 contest that was totally washed out. Almost always you can get in 4 rounds by flying between showers and such. Unless it looks like 2 constant days of a down pour I would go. I'd be really surprised if you don't get in at least 4 rounds. You will also learn more standing around watching it rain from the experienced guys by asking questions and such than you possibly can by reading it somewhere.

Arch
Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Trisquire

Is there a fee for watching?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 AM
rcpattern

Nope, every pattern contest I've ever been to is free for the public. I'm sure there will be concessions to purchase, but just to come watch is free.

Arch
Old 06-10-2010, 07:58 AM
RC11

Teo,
I've been looking at the forcast also and don't have any reservations about attending. The forcast for the midwest through the summer usually includes a chance of scattered showers. It's summer in the midwest. Last weekend we had the same deal at Muncie and worked around the weather and had a great time and got in a great contest. These scattered showers will usually hold off till the evening when we are all out having dinner together.
We will have 4 pilots there from The St.C RC/ FLYERS. a Sportsman flying his 1st contest with a Dazzler since his SpotOn 50 is no longer wth us, and 3 Int guys, my son Michael, Scott Mc. and myself.The runway is almost big enough for me to hit at 70X1000 ft of asphault. They fly jets off this beatiful monster! The club does a super job of taking care of the pilots and Dowayne runs a smooth and friendy operation. All will do everything possible to welcome you in and then you'll be just one of the gang. Really hoping to see you soon.
Rick
Old 06-10-2010, 07:59 AM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

No there Is not a fee to watch. Unless Arch wants to land inverted again then he may want to charge admission
Old 06-10-2010, 08:09 AM
rcpattern

Nah, twice is enough for that. Plus I'll be driving from TX to MD this weekend.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: iflyrc24

No there Is not a fee to watch. Unless Arch wants to land inverted again then he may want to charge admission
Okay. Thanks iflyrc24.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 PM
viva_peru

Hello,

Just made the hotel reservation, so now I am comitted. I will be driving down tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to get in a practice flight or two. I will be flying in the Sportsman group. I was hoping to get the Sebart Angel done in time, but that did not happen so I will probably be flying my Fliton Extra 330 instead.

I will see you guys tomorrow,

Teo
Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Looking forward to meeting you, Teo. Don't be shy, make yourself known to us. I'll be the scrawny little old man in a broad brimmed hat in hand to hand combat with a yellow Focus II. Rick will be the guy who doesn't look as good or fly as well as his son Michael. They're flying a Brio and a Black Magic, respectively. Bill will be the nervous guy with the Dazzler....you'd be nervous, too, if you were flying a Dazzler in your first pattern contest, lol!

Scott
Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 PM
viva_peru

Scott,

I am looking forward to meeting you guys as well. I know that it will be fun and a learning experience as well. Sorry to hear that Bill lost the Spot On, but I am pretty sure that I will make him and the Dazzler look good so he has nothing to worry about.

Teo
Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 PM
RC11

We had a great time and weathered the weather on Saturday. Got in all four rounds on Saturday with a few rain delays. Sunday was better and we had 2 rounds in before lunch. I got to meet some new folks and hope they will all return next contest. Thanks Dowayne. Thanks to the TORKS Club for letting us use their fabulous facility.

Rick Cilles
Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 PM
rcpattern

Results?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.