RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   2 meter plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/418054-2-meter-plans.html)

bokuda 04-07-2003 01:40 PM

t2k built-up vs foam

I think probably I'd try foam cores next time depending on when I start the plane.

So far all is coming out fine, but it is time consuming. I don't mind building, so if I started early in our New England building season, I might still go the built-up method.

Not counting the time, building is a money saver. Check the price of the kit, or just the cores. I spent a total of about $80 for the wood for this project. All contest balsa.

I'm anxious to compare the finsihed weight of this plane with others built with different methods. It will be at least another month before I complete this plane, though.

GW-inactive 04-22-2003 12:36 AM

2 meter plans

This was on the NSRCA Mail list today. Great deal if they are truly undamaged. I would leave the retracts out, cover over the wheel wells, mount my fixed gearin the fuse. . In business.

Some of you who bought former sets should check this out.

GW

----- Original Message -----
To: NSRCA
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 5:29 PM
Subject: Wing Set For Sale

If I remember correctly, someone was looking for a set of used wings a week or two ago. I've got a set of Typhoon 2000 Wings that have only 30 flights on them. My fuselage was recently damaged beyond repair (not from a crash) and is now useless so I've get these wings left over. I'd be willing to sell them with the retracts installed for $100. Email privately if interested. Wings are in MINT condition. I can provide pictures if requested.

By the way, my email is [email protected]

Kevin

bokuda 04-22-2003 01:20 AM

t2k progress

1 Attachment(s)
Obviously, progress has been slow lately. Work has been inerfering. I'm off this week and should make good progress as long as our terrible New England weather continues.

I've mounted the LG and tailwheel bracket, the vertical stab and completed the linkage for the elevator and rudder. Next will be planking the turtledeck, then mount the tank and plumbing, then plank the forward fusealage.

I have not sheeted the lower sides of the wings yet. I'm procrastinating on that because I know it will be difficult and critical.

One of the biggest hassles I've found so far is acquiring necessary hardware. LHS's carry little to no pattern materials, so it all has to be ordered which holds up progress. I've placed 3-4 orders to Central because, this being my first pattern ship, it's difficult to anticipate what I'll need and some things I've ordered I've found not useable for one reason or another, and had to order something else. Next time I'll know and plan better.

Daryl Martel 04-23-2003 06:22 AM

Thanks For The Tip - Typhoon wingset

Gerald GW aka PatternJunkie - Thanks for the "heads up" on the great deal from Kevin. I jumped on it and we've struck a deal on the wingset, H-stabs and rudder. Looks like I have a fuselage to build. I'm building a pair of Ultrasport 1000s (wings completed - whew!) and this'll be next up. I see Gator RC offers plans for the Typhoon 2000. This wingset I'm making this deal on is from a Typhoon - can anyone explain the differences between the Typhoon and Typhoon 2000? If I was to build a Typhoon 2000 fuselage would the Typhoon wings match up? I have an S.T. 2300 with Perry carb and Johnson rear/centerline header/Macs quiet pipe I can use - comments? I know the 2300 is not the best, but I got it and it'll have to do for now until I can afford something better... always trying to upgrade the hobby in little baby steps! BTW, following the building process of the Typhoon by Bokuda on-line like this is excellent - great pictures, great thread! Cheers

Rune 04-23-2003 12:48 PM

2 meter plans

Hello!
Has anyone any info on this 3Dpatriot...i dont think its a ordinary 3d plan???
looks great ...and u get plans cowl canopy etc!!
Rune

Rune 04-23-2003 12:49 PM

2 meter plans

http://www.executiveairframes.com/th...patriot3d.html
forgot the link!!

GW-inactive 04-23-2003 03:51 PM

2 meter plans

The 2000 is a widebody design.
The wings he was advertising was 2000 wingsets, so you should be set.

The 2300 is OK. I would say it will do, but the T2K is a big beast and you need raw horsepower to pull it along. I would get it built up and be looking for an OS 1.4/Webra1.45.. Then you will be a happy camper.

aerobaticsdude 04-23-2003 04:24 PM

2 meter plans

Only problem is you can't get cowls for the 2000. Been waiting since Feb. Glad I decided to get an eclipse when they became available.

GW-inactive 04-23-2003 05:16 PM

2 meter plans

Im sure Chris and Diane Lakin (Gator) will have them back in stock shortly. They back up what they sell.

TOYMAKER 04-23-2003 06:37 PM

Re: Thanks For The Tip - Typhoon wingset

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Daryl Martel
[B]I have an S.T. 2300 with Perry carb and Johnson rear/centerline header/Macs quiet pipe I can use - comments? I know the 2300 is not the best, but I got it and it'll have to do for now until I can afford something better/B]
I used an S.T.2300 for two years and over 400 flights. Use the Perry pump setup and you wont have any problems. I broke two Johnson headers with in 30 flights and then I got a header from Karl Mueller and his has even survived a crash only bending it slightly. His header fits better too. I used a 17x10N APC and turned 8400 rpms with a Macs 15cc Quiet Pipe. It liked this prop the best and on Ritches Brew pylon blend 15%. Make sure to get the idle as lean as possible and you wont have any transition problems and use on OS "F" plug. If it will idle for 30 seconds with out dying your there. If it speeds up and dies its to lean, slowly dies its to rich. With over 400 flights this engine does not even need bearings yet. Although now that its out of an airplane I am going to put new bearings and a ring in it. The S.T. will fly your plane fine for the lower classes. Go for it.

THis photo is Karls USA Star w/S.T.2300 and his header.
Wayne

Rune 04-23-2003 06:41 PM

2 meter plans

Hey GW!
could u send Scott Dunphy my mail adress and ask him if he wanna get he's plan on the wings in norway..the titan we are 3 friends over here thta are looking for a project for next year !
[email protected]
Rune

bokuda 04-23-2003 06:46 PM

t2k progress

1 Attachment(s)
Making pretty good progress now. Completed sheeting the turtle deck last night. This shows it pre-filling/sanding and before adding the fillets at the vertical stab.

I found it easier and quicker to use sheeting on the sides of the turtle deck rather than 1/4" strips as specified in the book, "How to Build a Pattern Plane." I used 4" wide sheets for this, then used strips on the top part where the curvature is more severe. It could have been done with sheeting too, I suppose, but even with the sheet wetted on the outside, it might have cracked with the small radius at the top of the deck.

GW-inactive 04-23-2003 06:53 PM

2 meter plans

Rune,

Scott Dunphy email: [email protected]

Im sure he would be honored to have some more Titans being built in Norway. Its a great plane.

bokuda 04-23-2003 06:54 PM

2 meter plans

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I've done so far today. I need a break!

I "sculpted" and added the fillets at the back of the turtle deck at the verical stab. This shows one with body filler added to make smooth transitions between the parts. I used Bondo, which may be a little heavy, but very little will remain after it is sanded. I was worried that other types of filler might crumble in this application.

This was a little bit of a chore. To shape the fillets to the stab shape, I laid the fuse on its side on a towel, put 100 grit sandpaper on the stab and rubbed the fillets up and down on that so they would fit the stab. I then rough shaped the outside of the fillets with a razor plane and sandpaper. Then I attached them in place and sanded some more.

This picture looks pretty messy, but this is how the job gets done.

Daryl Martel 04-24-2003 01:03 AM

2 meter plans

GW & Toymaker - thanks for the replies. Kevin e-mailed me replying the wingset was indeed the Typhoon 2000s. Re the S.T. 2300, like I'd said, it'll have to do for now. I could have bought a nice low time Webra 1.20 pattern engine (dual plug head - a Bully?) for about $140 but had already bought a practically new O.S. 1.08. I'll keep my eyes peeled and maybe I'll stumble across another good deal on an engine. Hmmm, maybe an O.S. 1.60 FX? Thanks - back to building :^)

klhoard 04-24-2003 02:49 AM

2 meter plans

Copied this from the NSRCA list a couple days ago (4/19/03):

Posting for an acquaintance who does not have e-mail. Please call the number
at the bottom if you are interested, or have questions I do not know
anything about this engine, so I cannot answer any questions:

For sale OS 140 RX - Purchased May 2002, less than 50 flights. Includes new
Mac's header (1.75" rise). $350.00 + shipping call Everette Carpenter
615-799-0516.

Thanks,
Greg Morris

bokuda 04-26-2003 01:16 AM

t2k progress

1 Attachment(s)
Between yesterday and today, I got the tank and throttle servo installed.

This shows the tank installation minus foam which will be located under, for and aft of the tank. The rails are balsa stiffened with CA. They are supported by 1/4" triangle stock on the fuse sides. The platform is lite-ply. I will probably cut some lightening holes in it. The wing tube is visible underneath. The center of the tank is right on the CG called for on the plan which is just aft of the wing tube.

I hope to have the fuse ready to finish by the end of the weekend unless I run into problems making the canopy frame; or if the weather is good and I go flying! I'm also still trying to decide how to run the plumbing...

bokuda 04-26-2003 01:22 AM

t2k progress

1 Attachment(s)
The throttle servo installation. I'll probably add a 1/4" square stick between the rails on top of the "wall" in the forground.

I decided to use a Nyrod for this. The distance between the firewall and the throttle arm is much too long for a cable. The servo sits higher than the throttle arm, so there is a curve in the rod - unavoidable - so a wire pushrod would not work well.

Is there a better/lighter way to do the throttle linkage?

GW-inactive 04-26-2003 01:33 AM

2 meter plans

looks good to me.

I have used wire on a few setups like this, required tilting the servo at an angle so that the wire would be a semi straight shot to the throttle arm.

Your mount looks neat, and will work fine.

Cdallas2 04-26-2003 02:50 AM

2 meter plans

You could try a ball link mounted to the bottom of the control horn.

StarskiPZ 04-26-2003 07:35 PM

2 meter plans

Bokuda - youre doin a grand job of your project...

Doesn't everybody rush that last 1% of construction when the first flight nears??

My only comment is that the throttle linkage should be the least 'resistive' to the servo as there is usually little load at the engine. Most installs have some flex around the fuel tank etc...

I have considered using a pull system with a spring return, setup to fail throttle closed. Light & no slack. Anyone tried this??

Cheers

bokuda 04-26-2003 08:00 PM

t2k progress

It is tempting to rush near the end, but I am really trying to resist it with this plane. Too much invested for that. But I tempted myself todayand went to the 50-mile-away LHS and bought covering for it. Covering is my favorite part of construction and the tail feathers are ready for it. But I'll follow the pro's advice and get the plane totally ready to fly first.

As for the throttle linkage, it is plenty smooth enough. The curviture of the nyrod is fairly gentle and should be easy for the standard servo to handle. The fuel tank is aft of the throttle servo so I didn't have to go around it. I'll try to get a pic of that part of the nyrod. It's not too late to change it if I find a better idea as it is not glued in yet and the front turtle deck is not yet sheeted. That will be done today or tomorrow.

Cdallas2 04-26-2003 08:11 PM

2 meter plans

Have you got a colour scheme figured out yet?

bokuda 04-26-2003 08:25 PM

2 meter plans

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, and it will probably take me almost as long to do it as it is to build the plane!

I'm not creative when it comes to color schemes, so I do some R&D (rip-off and duplicate!) and copy/modify one I like. I saw one on a JR Propo ARF that I really like and will probably use that one.

I'll try to post it.

Cdallas2 04-26-2003 08:33 PM

2 meter plans

Looks kinda like a big GP Venus.

This might help if they still have the Pattern one:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/WBusto/