Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo play

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:37 PM
rcpilot_971
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo play

I have two Hitec 5645s that im getting 1/8in of play in them Im using a SWB 1-3/4 is this normal theres not as much play with the smaller arms as there is with the bigger arms the arms are new and fit tight The servos are new first time I used them

Thanks Tim
Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo play

ORIGINAL: rcpilot_971 I have two Hitec 5645s that im getting 1/8in of play in them Im using a SWB 1-3/4 is this normal theres not as much play with the smaller arms as there is with the bigger arms the arms are new and fit tight The servos are new first time I used them Thanks Tim
As answered another forum, for benefit of other readers here:
A very long single arm, the longer the servo arm, the more the natural play in a gear train is accentuated and the torque is reduced accordingly. Servo torque (How is it measured)
Always use the shortest horn and use the closest hole to the output shaft as possible.
Whilst appearing "tight" is the spline count correct? This as Futaba horns may appear to fit but do slip under load. Servo - Horn arm Spline Count and Inter Brand Compatibility

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

They can get sloppy with vibration, and as AT says, that gets amplified with a longer arm.

You can replace the gear sets for about 15 dollars I think
Old 09-17-2010, 01:57 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Metal geared servos have always more play compared to nylon gear servos.
But as long as you follow the simple rule that says: Always use the shortest possible servo arm as possible and the longest rudder/aileron/elevator arm as possible...everything will be fine.

Beware that Hitec, Futaba and JR have different numbers of splines in the servo arms.JR has 23, Futaba 25 and Hitec 24.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM
rcpilot_971
My Feedback: (50)

So will it be ok to Fly with 1/8im of play in the elvator the plane is a great planes Yak 160 with a DLE 55 on it

Thanks Tim
Old 09-17-2010, 05:20 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

All metal gear servos will have some play. If you don't want any play get titanium geared servos by Hitec.
1/8 play in the elevator is no problem. Go fly