Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need help with my first build

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:33 PM
JoeBoater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my first build

Hey All,
I've starting building an airboat and now its time to get the mechanical/electrical components together. I'm new to the RC world and Ive read up on the various parts needed but I figured I should ask some experts for some help.

A friend gave me a box of rc scrap parts, mostly from a Hobbico Skyfly and a cheap rc truck. From the Skyfly I have the transmitter(3-channel FM) and a brushed 380 motor. From the cheap rc truck all Ican reasonable salvage is ESC circuit board and a servo(it has no name or markings on it). I also have a NiCd 9.6V 700mAh battery that ive been using to test stuff and seems to hold a charge. I figured I would start working around the parts I have and if i need to replace them I will. I'm also looking to keep my costs down since its my first build.

I figure I need a reciever first but I'm not sure how to figure out which would be compatible with the transmitter. Can anyone lend some advice?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90555.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1612996  
Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need help with my first build

Well you really shouldn't use a 72 mhz radio on a boat or car. That frequency is reserved for airplanes. How about a simple entry level 2.4 system like this?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15141
Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: JoeBoater

Hey All,
I've starting building an airboat and now its time to get the mechanical/electrical components together. I'm new to the RC world and Ive read up on the various parts needed but I figured I should ask some experts for some help.

A friend gave me a box of rc scrap parts, mostly from a Hobbico Skyfly and a cheap rc truck. From the Skyfly I have the transmitter(3-channel FM) and a brushed 380 motor. From the cheap rc truck all I can reasonable salvage is ESC circuit board and a servo(it has no name or markings on it). I also have a NiCd 9.6V 700mAh battery that ive been using to test stuff and seems to hold a charge. I figured I would start working around the parts I have and if i need to replace them I will. I'm also looking to keep my costs down since its my first build.

I figure I need a reciever first but I'm not sure how to figure out which would be compatible with the transmitter. Can anyone lend some advice?

For those pilots still using 72Mhz radios, there has been more of a concern that Newbies to Ground and Water models will be buying up the 72Mhz higher end radios that are being sold cheaply as we convert to 2.4Ghz radios. Please don't use 72Mhz equipment for Ground or water models because you could shoot down an aircraft nearby and not even know. Your vehicle could also go berserk if you get interference, as well.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:11 AM
JoeBoater

Thanks fellas, certainly dont want to take down anyone's aircraft.  That starter kit looks pretty solid on price too.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Texastbird

Good luck with the boat. I always had fun fooling around with cast offs from other people to see if I could get something going out of it. But a decent radio will save you a lot of grief in the long run.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 PM
JoeBoater

Well after evaluating all the components I have trying to figure this out I realized I actually have no idea what I'm doing. Im not sure if I should continue to try to use the components I have now and continue working around them or just buy all new ones that Iknow will work together. I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I took a picture of the parts that I have and a rundown of what i personally think.

Brushed 380 motor- It works and the prop I have made the boat glide across my kitchen floor @ 50% throttle. I'd like to use this just to not have to purchase a new brushless and then a expensive ESC for it.
ESC- this is a cheap unit that Ipulled out of an RC truck(same size motor), I assumed I could throw some connectors on it but now i'm not sure. used with the 9.6V batt
Servo(no name)- it turn boths directions fine but doesnt appear to have any limits as i can have it spin in either direction for several rotations. Also needs connectors, also used a 9.6V batt
Batter- This is the 9.6V, 700mAh. holds a charge for a decent lenght of time, but i was thinking of getting a larger backup as I dont see this lasting very long

So thats what I have. Im definitely going to go with the Tx/Rx system that Texastbird recommended, but after that Im at a loss. Anyone want to help a newb deisgn his first build? I'd greatly appreciate any help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33606.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1614176