Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum AR8000 useless without satellite

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:45 PM
ssautter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum AR8000 useless without satellite

ORIGINAL: cjshaker

Another scam on eBay that I just got burned by is that Spektrum AR8000 receivers are useless without their satellite receiver. Found that out after I stupidly bid on one and purchased it, for a higher price than I paid for two other complete ones. Of course his ad did not mention that the receiver would not WORK AT ALL without the satellite receiver.

It appears that people are taking the satellite receiver and are plugging it into their 3-axis gyro (BeastX, etc), and then are dumping the useless AR8000 receiver by itself on eBay to unsuspecting buyers like me.

AR8000 won't work without satellite
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537124

More confirmation
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=284093

More confirmation
http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/spektr...satellite.html

Chris Shaker
Hi Chris!

Aren't you tired of getting duped, yet?

Scott
Old 07-16-2013, 06:49 PM
ssautter

I quit buying and selling on feeBay....a year ago.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM
byrne1157

Another reason I'm glad I have a fine, no problem Turnigy 9x radio system. No satellites, rx only cost me $12.00 for 8ch, range check verified 2 miles...

Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

Spektrum is a complete joke. After all the forums on this junk people still act surprised when it goes to sh!!. Fasst all the way! !! Used it from day one and NOT ONE GLITCH! !! GET IT????
Go to a Futaba forum Mr Troll. You are not helping anyone here and you are sadly misguided.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Chris,

I can see why you are angry and i probably would be to.

But if i was selling a car and said there was no engine in it, i wouldn't say in the add that the car won't function without the engine. The seller most likely assumed that those wanting it would know that. If i was selling the rx i would most likely advertise the same way.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:28 AM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Do you know that a DMX sat. will not work with the older DSM2 receivers. You can't mix the two in any way. It's really important to understand the systems your using. He said "no sat." The rest was up to you to on how your radio works. Dennis
Yes it will I do it all the time. I do it in everything from foamies to jets. Just an FYI

Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

Spektrum is a complete joke. After all the forums on this junk people still act surprised when it goes to sh!!. Fasst all the way! !! Used it from day one and NOT ONE GLITCH! !! GET IT????
That's a little harsh, Considering the company U are keeping, But then again U don't see any Forums criticizing the problems of the Futaba Fasst, Airtronics, or HiTec AFHSS systems. That's gota say something about Spectrum.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:06 AM
downunderdog

ORIGINAL: Propworn

I hate having to explain things slowly so let me try again. You’re stating the obvious and what I would expect from a radio system but it’s not happening with the DX6i and I am not the only one.

Bind DX6i and heli follow me so far big guy?

Operate heli ok turning off and on as batteries are used up ok so far. Do you need me to go back over something?

Over a few days everything seems ok then for no apparent reason heli is erratic and not responding correctly. The only thing that I did was turn the system off and on as I used it. You still following this ok?

On my own through the advice of others on the net when I asked, the hobby shop owner who is a good friend and experience heli pilot as well as fellow modelers in the club it was recommended I rebind said heli. I did and it worked for another period of time then the same symptoms appeared. YOOHOO still there I hope don’t want to have to explain this again.

Contacted Horizon after this happened several times and was told just rebind the dang thing.

None of the other Radio systems need to be rebound when turned off and on even when the students who have no previous RC experience mistreat the systems they do not come unbound. Only the Spectrum has done this when the only thing that has been done is normal on/off cycling. OK big boy wait for it were almost done.

No radio system I have used before has come unbound by simply removing the signal once bound all these systems have retained the bind even in combat crashes where the battery has been ripped from the plane. The only thing I am doing with the Spectrum is turning it on and off and they tell me it just needs rebinding. Horse pucky I say!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get it yet????? Good grief I can’t explain it any slower.
So, the unbinding happens when you shut off the heli and turn it back on (from where you said... "Operate heli ok turning off and on as batteries are used up ok so far." and "The only thing that I did was turn the system off and on as I used it." and "Only the Spectrum has done this when the only thing that has been done is normal on/off cycling.")

You are worried about the heli needing to be rebound during a particular flight, or it causing a crash because it would be unlikely to be able to insert and remove the bind plug in flight.

I guess the part that I missed is... How often do you turn the heli off and back on during a flight????? I've never done that. Seems like a pretty interesting trick, though.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: downunderdog

You are worried about the heli needing to be rebound during a particular flight, or it causing a crash because it would be unlikely to be able to insert and remove the bind plug in flight.

I guess the part that I missed is... How often do you turn the heli off and back on during a flight????? I've never done that. Seems like a pretty interesting trick, though.
HUH???????????????? Where does it say I turn anything off and on during flight? I do refer to the normal cycling the system off and on at the beginning and end of a flight. YA never know I thought I explained it slow enough. [&o][&o][&o]

General sarcasm Horizon tells me all I need to do is rebind it I want to know how I am expected to accomplish that in flight.

Dennis
Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

We have a flyer at our field that would complain about lost signal, channels mixing in mid flight and other problems that can happen from radio failure. He never blame it on pilot error, always radio, but he is still flying with the same radio and it's a futaba....what I'm trying to say is, a lot of time it's pilot error, but quick to blame the radio.I have flown spektrum and jr for over 7 years without a problem.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:25 PM
jmac591

Than I'll send you my receiver and maybe for the first time you can say that it's equipment and not pilot. I'm not the kind to blame equipment, I accept the fact that when I mid-calculate things it was my mistake, besides the equipment will do exactly what you tell it to do, but in some cases, the only human error to blame is the QC inspector that deemed the price of equipment as good.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:27 PM
jmac591

Than I'll send you my receiver and maybe for the first time you can say that it's equipment and not pilot. I'm not the kind to blame equipment, I accept the fact that when I mis-calculate things it was my mistake, besides the equipment will do exactly what you tell it to do, but in some cases, the only human error to blame is the QC inspector that deemed the peice of equipment as good.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 AM
downunderdog

ORIGINAL: downunderdog

HUH???????????????? Where does it say I turn anything off and on during flight? I do refer to the normal cycling the system off and on at the beginning and end of a flight. YA never know I thought I explained it slow enough. [&o][&o][&o]

General sarcasm Horizon tells me all I need to do is rebind it I want to know how I am expected to accomplish that in flight.

Dennis
You say that the unbinding happens when you cycle the power off and on.

Then you say that you worry that it will come unbound during flight (and, presumably, cause a crash).

I guess I assumed, since you've been so condescending in your posts, that you knew there is a difference between rebooting (/powering off then powering on) the receiver compared to just losing the signal from the TX while the receiver remains powered. I guess not.

If you ARE losing power and having the receiver reboot during flight (which is the series of events that you're doing on the ground that is causing it to lose bind), then you have more serious problems than a receiver occasionally coming unbound when the power is cycled and you should be fixing your heli so it doesn't cause the receiver to lose power during flight. If that is NOT happening, then I don't know why you're worried about losing bind during flight - you've said that the loss of bind problem has been happening after you cycle the power to the receiver.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:39 AM
Propworn

I honestly think you must be slower than the first guy. I don’t know how much slower I have to go but I will give it my best shot.

In normal operation

No……………………..other……………†¦â€¦â€¦â€¦2.4 system I have used……………………….once bound……………………….needs to be……………………………..rebound no mater………………………what one does. You can…………………………….turn the power……………………off and on…………………………………..it doesn’t matter ………………………..which sequence you………………………….cycle the power……………………………receiver or transmitter first.

The Spectrum………………………..does not seem stable…………………………in this respect…………………………after a period of............normal use (turning it off and on)…………………………control link becomes unstable………………………………….no t all servos……………….respond as they should……………………………no answer from Horizon or others with…………………………..much more experience………………………….than me other……………………….than to rebind…………………………….which seems to solve the problem………………………..for a while.

I was………………………being…………… ……….facetious…………………………⠀¦â€¦.about loosing signal in flight……………………..and needing to……………….rebind.

fa•ce•tious
fəˈsiʃəsShow Spelled [fuh-see-shuhs] Show IPA
adjective
not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
amusing; humorous.
lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

H a v e a N i c e D a y N o w

Dennis
Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Rob2160

You have a faulty receiver.. junk it and get another..

Might be a few $$ wasted but it will save you from more headache..

My AR8000s (or any Spektrum RX I have used) never lose a bind.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: jmac591

Than I'll send you my receiver and maybe for the first time you can say that it's equipment and not pilot. I'm not the kind to blame equipment, I accept the fact that when I mis-calculate things it was my mistake, besides the equipment will do exactly what you tell it to do, but in some cases, the only human error to blame is the QC inspector that deemed the peice of equipment as good.
Agreed... Sometimes electronics just fail...

I have two iphones, one for work and one for personal calls.. They live the same life, same pocket, same travels etc... approx the same amount of use each day....

Both Iphone 4s models purchased about a month apart..

The Personal phone has always worked flawlessly.. the work phone dropped calls, missed calls, didn't ring and occasionally rebooted for no explicable reason...

I ended up swapping it for an iphone 5 and that works perfectly..

Electronics can be faulty from new and it sounds like you have a bad RX.. junk it and replace it with a new one and you will likely never have another issue.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Better yet, return it to Service. They'll take care of you: http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/...service-center

Andy
Old 07-18-2013, 08:20 AM
wcmorrison

My advise is to stay clear of Spektrum equipment altogether.  Go to Futaba or Hitech.  All I ever had was problems with Spektrum and lack of support from Horizon Hobbies on the same stuff.  They were the first out with the 2.4 equipment and had all kinds of troubles, antenna trouble, battery trouble, and programming changes to fix things.  So I quit the brand.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: wcmorrison

My advise is to stay clear of Spektrum equipment altogether. Go to Futaba or Hitech. All I ever had was problems with Spektrum and lack of support from Horizon Hobbies on the same stuff. They were the first out with the 2.4 equipment and had all kinds of troubles, antenna trouble, battery trouble, and programming changes to fix things. So I quit the brand.
Your choice
I had a few problems with very first Spektrum- but none since then-and Spektrum fixed em
The other brands have been notably low or absent on features I like - but we all have our own preferences.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 AM
jmac591

I sent it back to Horizon to have it checked 3 days ago, I just got a response back from them, they said the receiver was intermittently losing power, which explains the communication loss, they are sending me a new AR8000 which has been tested and in addition 2 AR6115e for my troubles. I'm happy
Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Propworn

It’s BNF no separate receiver or I would have swapped it out for another system. The board was replaced by the hobby shop. He has boards in stock because of these issues. He has sent a few back for service and they come back not much better so that’s were the advice from Horizon comes in "Just rebind it" From my experience I just would not have the confidence to use Spectrum/JR for anything but this cheap bind and fly stuff that Eflight manufactures. Too bad Eflight seems to be locked into the Spectrum line. I bet if they offered any other system or even supply your own receiver instead Spectrum sales would take a serious nose dive.

The radio was a DX6i bought new the heli is the Blade mCP X BL BNF also new not exactly a bottom of the line set up.

Dennis
Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s BNF no separate receiver or I would have swapped it out for another system. The board was replaced by the hobby shop. He has boards in stock because of these issues. He has sent a few back for service and they come back not much better so that’s were the advice from Horizon comes in ''Just rebind it'' From my experience I just would not have the confidence to use Spectrum/JR for anything but this cheap bind and fly stuff that Eflight manufactures. Too bad Eflight seems to be locked into the Spectrum line. I bet if they offered any other system or even supply your own receiver instead Spectrum sales would take a serious nose dive.

The radio was a DX6i bought new the heli is the Blade mCP X BL BNF also new not exactly a bottom of the line set up.

Dennis
elite has a number of aircraft that are offered without receivers. The elite Beaver, Taylorcraft, F4 Phantom, and Extra 300 are ones I have. I put Spektrum receivers in them and I have no issues.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: wcmorrison

My advise is to stay clear of Spektrum equipment altogether. Go to Futaba or Hitech. All I ever had was problems with Spektrum and lack of support from Horizon Hobbies on the same stuff. They were the first out with the 2.4 equipment and had all kinds of troubles, antenna trouble, battery trouble, and programming changes to fix things. So I quit the brand.
Futaba is not perfect...

as my recent 14 SG purchase shows..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpFan0kDSR0[/youtube]

This is a known problem in the 12FG also.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: jmac591

I sent it back to Horizon to have it checked 3 days ago, I just got a response back from them, they said the receiver was intermittently losing power, which explains the communication loss, they are sending me a new AR8000 which has been tested and in addition 2 AR6115e for my troubles. I'm happy
Yes, gotta be happy with that..

Glad they resolved your issue and I am sure you have peace of mind that your RX was proven to be faulty. ..

My first DX8 was part of the recall for jittery pots...

Modelflight in Australia paid for shipping both ways and fixed my radio...

Unfortunately when I received the radio back the elevator trim was reversed...

They paid for shipping and back a 2nd time and fixed the problem

Both times I had the radio back within 7 working days and it cost me nothing..

The Radio has been perfect ever since..

That is great service in my opinion.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Rob2160

It’s BNF no separate receiver or I would have swapped it out for another system. The board was replaced by the hobby shop. He has boards in stock because of these issues. He has sent a few back for service and they come back not much better so that’s were the advice from Horizon comes in "Just rebind it" From my experience I just would not have the confidence to use Spectrum/JR for anything but this cheap bind and fly stuff that Eflight manufactures. Too bad Eflight seems to be locked into the Spectrum line. I bet if they offered any other system or even supply your own receiver instead Spectrum sales would take a serious nose dive.

Dennis
Ah.. I understand..

I have lots of the Bind and Fly helis and now I understand exactly what you mean..

I had my first MCPX do exactly as you described.

After a good bind and many flights, having the TX turned on and powering up the Heli it would go into bind mode again.

This is actually common with the small Blade Helis if you power them up too close to your Transmitter..

When it first happened to me, I realised the reason because I had read it somewhere previously..

Make sure they are about 1.5 to 2 meters away from the TX when you connect the battery and you should be fine..

I'll make a video for you showing how the problem can be replicated / solved just by TX proximity to the Heli at power up..

EDIT.. just made a video - I was able to duplicate the problem several times with my Brushless MCPX by powering up too close to the TX... - excuse the Pyjamas.. (I might replace it with a more professional vid later).

Its not on the vid but on one occasion when connecting battery to heli it did go into bind mode again..I disconnected power, moved the heli 2 meters away and connected power again.. it linked perfectly - IE no need to re bind.

This heli has flown hundreds of times without problems..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THLU8JLr46Q[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.