Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum AR8000 useless without satellite

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 PM
cjshaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum AR8000 useless without satellite

Another scam on eBay that I just got burned by is that Spektrum AR8000 receivers are useless without their satellite receiver. Found that out after I stupidly bid on one and purchased it, for a higher price than I paid for two other complete ones. Of course his ad did not mention that the receiver would not WORK AT ALL without the satellite receiver.

It appears that people are taking the satellite receiver and are plugging it into their 3-axis gyro (BeastX, etc), and then are dumping the useless AR8000 receiver by itself on eBay to unsuspecting buyers like me.

AR8000 won't work without satellite
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537124

More confirmation
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=284093

More confirmation
http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/spektr...satellite.html

Chris Shaker
Old 04-24-2012, 05:04 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum AR8000 useless without satellite

That's probably right. The only one where it's truly optional is the AR67XX receivers.

Kind of funny because the remotes are a whole lot cheaper than buying remote + AR8000.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...dsmx-JRPRR121X

Andy
Old 04-25-2012, 01:57 AM
nk3t

Why is it a scam?

The seller advertised the item without a satellite, and you bought it. It sounds as if you had no idea what you were buying.

Why not just accept that you screwed up?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Another example of trying to get something cheaper without the proper knowledge.
Saw another add on ebay for a AR 6110e in clear plastic for $7.95. These are not even being made by Spektrum now. They are advertized as DMS/DMX.
Dennis
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM
cjshaker

Because it will not function without the satellite. The seller appears to have known that, but did not put that in his ad. Real honest? I don't see that fact
mentioned in the manual for the receiver nor the radio, either, unless I am missing it. Not sure how I was supposed to know that it would not function at all without the
satellite receiver when the manual doesn't even tell me that?

I have verified that it is not functional on my DX8. It appears to bind, but does not work. I have submitted an eBay claim on it.

The really stupid thing is that I paid more for that one than I have for two other AR8000s on eBay which included the satellite receiver, and actually work.
I've been picking them up for around $75 brand new, complete and working, from people who got them free with their DX8 and don't need them.

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: nk3t

Why is it a scam?

The seller advertised the item without a satellite, and you bought it. It sounds as if you had no idea what you were buying.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 AM
DadsToysBG

Do you know that a DMX sat. will not work with the older DSM2 receivers. You can't mix the two in any way. It's really important to understand the systems your using. He said "no sat." The rest was up to you to on how your radio works. Dennis
Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM
cjshaker

Here is the manual for the AR8000 receiver. Please show me where it tells me that it will not function without the receiver, and then I'l believe you that I screwed up

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...000-Manual.pdf

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: nk3t

Why is it a scam?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
cjshaker

The seller appears to have known that the receiver was not functional without the satellite receiver. His ad did not state that the receiver was not functional. And eBay ruled in his favor.

Please show me where I could have found that this receiver will not function without the satellite receiver installed from reading the manual for this receiver:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...000-Manual.pdf

If that tidbit of information is in there, I sure as hell am not seeing it.

From where I sit, the seller pulled a fast one, and you think it is ok for sellers like that to pull the same trick?

I've also since read that a DSM2 satellite receiver will not work with the DMX receivers. And the DMX satellite receiver appears to be back ordered.

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Do you know that a DMX sat. will not work with the older DSM2 receivers. You can't mix the two in any way. It's really important to understand the systems your using. He said ''no sat.'' The rest was up to you to on how your radio works. Dennis
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 AM
cjshaker

If you want to read the eBay ad, the item number is 180862913514. Nowhere does it tell me that the satellite receiver is required for the receiver to actually work! I did not find that out until I received it and attempted to use it. Then, I found forum messages telling me that it does not work without the satellite receiver.

I found one other eBay seller who appears to be selling an AR8000 without the satellite receiver, at least, the picture does not show one...

Chris Shaker

Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
cjshaker

For those who need a DSMX satellite receiver, it appears that the part number is SPM9645 Spektrum DSMX Satellite Remote Receiver. Cost about $35. Looks like it is back in stock

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

Chris Shaker
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
DadsToysBG

Chris I didn't mean to imply that it's your fault. some time we, me included just assume people understand how things work. The manual doesn't say in anyway but did does show the sat in the pictures and how to place them. It does not show the 8000 without the sat. To boot up the system the sat. must be installed if the sat. fails after that the system is on it will continue to work until you turn it off. then it will not boot.
I don't know when you bought your radio but the manual says DSM2. All the Spektrum 8ch will do both S and X. When the radio was first sold Horizon wasn't ready to announce the upgrade to X so they left it off the early radios. On the screen on the upper Rt. will say X or S depending on the type of receiver your using. Right now only the AR600 receiver doesn't use a sat. in full range. also the small park flyer receivers don't us them. This was a hard way to learn and if it had been me selling the receiver i would have said it in the same way. Maybe I also learned a lesson too. Dennis
Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM
cjshaker

Dennis:

I've been a Futaba FASST user, with a 12FG. No satellites needed for them.

Had been using a DX6i for my many Horizon BindNFly airplanes and helicopters. Recently got the DX8, and have been trying to learn more about Spektrum. Using the DX8 for the Blade 400 I'm repairing, and for two TRex helis under construction. I love the LiPo battery, the backlight, and the vibrating timer. Much easier to program than the 12FG. From what I read, DSMX is every bit as good as FASST, and I'm enjoying learning about it.

I assumed that the receiver would work without the satellite, since the seller did not say it would not work. I think it was dishonest of him not to point out that the satellite receiver is required for the receiver to work at all, especially since he seemed to already know that. I'm trying to wait until I'm not so pissed at him before I score him as a seller.

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Chris I didn't mean to imply that it's your fault. some time we, me included just assume people understand how things work. The manual doesn't say in anyway but did does show the sat in the pictures and how to place them. It does not show the 8000 without the sat. To boot up the system the sat. must be installed if the sat. fails after that the system is on it will continue to work until you turn it off. then it will not boot.
I don't know when you bought your radio but the manual says DSM2. All the Spektrum 8ch will do both S and X. When the radio was first sold Horizon wasn't ready to announce the upgrade to X so they left it off the early radios. On the screen on the upper Rt. will say X or S depending on the type of receiver your using. Right now only the AR600 receiver doesn't use a sat. in full range. also the small park flyer receivers don't us them. This was a hard way to learn and if it had been me selling the receiver i would have said it in the same way. Maybe I also learned a lesson too. Dennis
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM
cjshaker

I was wrong. Looking over my purchasing history, the prices were about the same for all three AR8000 receivers, within $10 or so.

Even with having to purchase a satellite receiver, my average price for these three AR8000s delivered to my house will be around $100/ea. If I look at it that way, I'm not so pissed, given their list price

Chris Shaker
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 AM
DadsToysBG

Now it's easier to understand your confusion on radio systems. I too have used the 12fg and I do find the programing easier on the Spektrum radios, but that doesn't mean much. The friend that helped me with the radio went thru it in minutes. This just proves if your used to it it's easy.
I couldn't help but see that you've had other trouble on e-Bay with a gyro. Me personally I stay away from there and do most of my deals here. buying and selling here is a lot safer because here people are alot more honest and you can talk to them on the phone.
You still can get a bad deal but it doesn't happen often.
I'm a JR/Spektrum dealer and if you ever have any questions just send me PM and I'll help anyway I can. Dennis
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in the add number you posted there was a question at the bottom where someone asked if it had the sat rec and the seller replied back as no.

if i was selling one with out the receiver i would assume everyone knew it would work woth out it.

remember buyer beware. ask questions and if doesnt seem right to ya then it isnt.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
cjshaker

Yes, he said that the satellite receiver was not included, but he did not say that it was not functional without it.

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: airraptor

in the add number you posted there was a question at the bottom where someone asked if it had the sat rec and the seller replied back as no.

if i was selling one with out the receiver i would assume everyone knew it would work woth out it.

remember buyer beware. ask questions and if doesnt seem right to ya then it isnt.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
DadsToysBG

I'll have stand up for Chris on this one. Since he was used to another brand of radio he hasn't had time to learn the ins and outs of Spektrum yet Tho's of us that us Spektrum has learned these things and we assume everybody else does too.
As they say "live and learn" Dennis
Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure either party bares all responsibility.

Lack of a satellite wasn't mentioned by the seller..........and the question wasn't asked by the buyer. Not saying the seller wasn't pulling a quickie, but if the buyer suggests he didn't ask because he just started using Spektrum and didn't know, isn't it the same as the seller not mentioning it because that's all he might use and expected that everyone knew that?

Just my humble opinion here but if you point a finger at someone, remember there are three others pointing back at you!

Both are wrong. Ignorance is no excuse. Fire away...........
Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
DadsToysBG

All i can say is you have to know what questions to ask. now he does. Dennis
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is why i stayed with my futaba 9c and converted it to 2.4 with futaba module and rec    
Old 04-25-2012, 04:28 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

1. Sounds typical of ebay community. 2. More typical spectrum bs. 3.get a real system and quit worrying about sattelite bs. Spectrum is a joke
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

1. Sounds typical of ebay community. 2. More typical spectrum bs. 3.get a real system and quit worrying about sattelite bs. Spectrum is a joke
1. OK
2. huh?
3. You must be a diehard Corvair owner. [X(]
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 PM
RiverLarry

HUH !!!!! Rockford !!! is that in the USA ????? R/L
Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: RiverLarry

HUH !!!!! Rockford !!! is that in the USA ????? R/L
Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 AM
Luchnia

This reminds me of another thread where there were a number of JR/Spektrum haters rising up out of the ashes taking the opportunity to throw down on what shines the brightest for others. The irony is that I offerred to take their crappy garbage JR/Spektrum stuff and even offered to pay freight on most of it and the amazing thing was I did not get one reply! And the thing is I am not brand loyal at all and just use what works good for me.

I still cannot get over it. When you have someone more than willing to take the garbage crap brown outing JR/Spektrum stuff, wouldn't you think they would jump on that big time and take advantage of such a fantastic offer to help them out of their troubles? What more can you do, offer to be burned at the stake? [X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.