Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo draw current

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 AM
123Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo draw current

What would be the approx current draw of 1 servo in a Rap 30 , mild 3D ,

I will times it by 5 to put a load on my Rx battery

for checking purposes ,

thanks so much
Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Servo draw current

ORIGINAL: 123Cat

What would be the approx current draw of 1 servo in a Rap 30 , mild 3D ,

I will times it by 5 to put a load on my Rx battery

for checking purposes ,

thanks so much
Purchase or borrow a Hangar9 Current Meter and connect it between the servo and the Rx. The amount of current depends upon a number of factors including the model servo and the load on it.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is doubtful that you will get an accurate peak current reading on any analog or digital MM unless it is capable of RMS measurements with a peak capture feature as the initial current surge as a servo is commanded to move is usually quite high, maybe as much as 3 amperes for a few milliseconds. If the servo gets stalled out, this current can be even higher. Your typical meter should read the average current reasonably well though.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

What a way things have changed as back in the old days it was pretty much the norm for radios sets to be supplied with 500mA Nicad battery packs for both Tx and Rx and we would fly all day and only had the little green/orange/red meter on the Tx as a reference to guide us. Plus we used a std servos to fly just about anything, agreed the models were not a big as they are now, but now everyone seems to think that they need a 200 oz. plus servo.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM
123Cat

Got some advice to put a 1/2 amp load on my DVM to check my RX Battery ,

its an Eneloop 2000 MAH Pak
Old 04-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish.

My advise to put a 0.5amp load with a loaded voltmeter was to determine fly / no-fly battery status quickly. You do not need the full load of all five servos. That technique has been working for years. With a 2000mah battery and standard servos, you should be able to fly/hover almost all day long. If you have standard equipment you will notice the servos starting to slow down way before you loose control of the aircraft.

If you require further information, we will need exact model numbers of all of your servos, and a video of your flying style, to try to approximate a guess answer. The best answer in that scenario so far is this one:
BuschBarber
Purchase or borrow a Hangar9 Current Meter and connect it between the servo and the Rx. The amount of current depends upon a number of factors including the model servo and the load on it.
Rafael
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

My advise to put a 0.5amp load with a loaded voltmeter was to determine fly / no-fly battery status quickly. You do not need the full load of all five servos. That technique has been working for years. With a 2000mah battery and standard servos, you should be able to fly/hover almost all day long. If you have standard equipment you will notice the servos starting to slow down way before you loose control of the aircraft.

If you require further information, we will need exact model numbers of all of your servos, and a video of your flying style, to try to approximate a guess answer. The best answer in that scenario so far is this one:
BuschBarber
Rafael
Years ago, with 72Mhz radios, there were times when the Rx battery voltage would drop to a point where the servos would become sluggish but the Rx was still operating. I have never seen this with 2.4 radios. You get a Brownout before the servos get slow.

I have always estimated the combined current draw of all servos and based my Rx battery capacity accordingly.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
karolh

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

BuschBarber
Rafael
Years ago, with 72Mhz radios, there were times when the Rx battery voltage would drop to a point where the servos would become sluggish but the Rx was still operating. I have never seen this with 2.4 radios. You get a Brownout before the servos get slow.

I have always estimated the combined current draw of all servos and based my Rx battery capacity accordingly.

That works for me too.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Here is one way to be sure. If you have a charger that shows ma in. Fly twice and time the flights. Re=charge and record the ma in. Fly 3 times and record the time. Re-charge and record the ma in. The do a average divided by the ma of the battery and that is the number of flights you'll get.
You can't do a load test on the ground. The load will be higher in the air.
If you are using nicad. if you see 4.8 on a 4 cell or 6v on a 5 cell re-charge Dennis
Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 AM
BuschBarber

Since I switched to Lithium Rx and Tx batteries, I know that they will hold their charge for months and that they can be recharged in minutes. There is just no comparison to what you have to go through with NiCad/NiMh batteries. I never get caught with an inadequately charged pack. No False Peaking, no Self Discharge, and no Overnight Charging. With a good Lithium charger like the FMA 10S, I can charge up to two 5S packs at a time, for example. I have 110% faith in their Safe operation.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

This also applies to A123
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

This also applies to A123
+1
Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Rafael23cc

I must have done something right, because the poor guy got only 5 replies in over 24 hours, and my simple commentary got 6 replies in less than 8 hours.

Answer to him, not to me. Been doing this for over 20 years. We still do not know what he has installed in his aircraft, to be able to even take a guess, so we are all taking stabs in the dark. We don't even know if he's flying 72mhz, 2.4ghz or something totally different. All I know is that he is located in Australia.

Just to be fair, does anybody have a link to a published chart of servo current draw? Or is this the best reply we've gotten to date?
DadsToysBG
Here is one way to be sure. If you have a charger that shows ma in. Fly twice and time the flights. Re=charge and record the ma in. Fly 3 times and record the time. Re-charge and record the ma in. The do a average divided by the ma of the battery and that is the number of flights you'll get.
Rafael
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Redback

Yea mate, current flows from negative to positive here down under

Terry
Old 05-01-2013, 05:00 PM
123Cat

Sorry , I was away
Its a Rap 30 for mild to roughish 3D ,,,Analoge servos 401 Gyro,,, 36 MHZ

Thanks I will put a 1/2 amp load on and cease at 4.8 Volts

Who knows what the flight current draw is, it can spike high in a failed Tic Toc like I do

or panic pullout

Its a guessing game

Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are only drawing down to 4.8 volts, you are not even using 1/2 the capacity of your Nixx battery. You can safely go down to 1.1 volt per cell. Even then you will have 1/10 the power still remaining in the cells.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:08 AM
karolh

Using an Rx Nicad battery only to 4.8 volts is really old news.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Rafael23cc

Its a Rap 30 for mild to roughish 3D ,,,Analoge servos 401 Gyro,,, 36 MHZ

Thanks I will put a 1/2 amp load on and cease at 4.8 Volts
There you go. FM equipment and standard servos. That is a lot more information that what we started with. Is good enough to make some assumptions.

You should still use the suggestion of averaging the flights and the current used per flight to determine how many flights your battery is capable of sustaining. On top of that check battery "health" by checking the voltage between flights. Using a 0.5amp load, I would stop flying between 4.6 and 4.8 volts depending on equipment and how hard I fly. I have not used Nicds in years. All my birds have liion batteries now.

Rafael
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Mikecam

I think he is worried about the Amps used in his flight and not the mAh.

Start with your battery freshly charged, do 1, 10 minute flight including your tic toc's. Charge battery and record mAh used. Take that number and multiply by 6 to get the amount of amps used during 1 hour of flying. You now have your average amp use. So if you put back 200 mAh in 10 minutes then you would use 1.2 amps in an hour and that is also your average amp draw.

I fly an EF 50cc bird and even flying the crap out of it I don't put back in any more then 1900 mAh in an hour. So 1.9 amp draw average. Don't see how the claims of 50 amps being pulled from high torque servo's during high G stuff can be true with those numbers.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM
123Cat

I just want to stop flying when my Eneloop 2000 pak cant deliver any more

, Ive got a 5 watt 39 OHM resistor across my DVM

and Im seeing 5.42 V without resistor and 5.39 v with resistor so its putting on a little load ,

I will go with that down to about 4.6 V

thanks a lot
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 PM
123Cat

I dont know what the minimum operating voltage of my PCM 9 ch NER 649S Rx is

and how fast it recovers after getting under voltage , in relation to the fancy 2.4 Rx's

I guess they are about the same

I dont plan on getting to that point
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Rafael23cc

I dont know what the minimum operating voltage of my PCM 9 ch NER 649S Rx is
and how fast it recovers after getting under voltage , in relation to the fancy 2.4 Rx's
I guess they are about the same
I dont plan on getting to that point
As metioned before, the old FM receiver would keep on working to a very low voltage, the servos would slow down well before the receiver stopped working.

With the new 2.4 receivers, it is like an electrical surge for a computer, if you have one, you have to wait until it reboots. And the servos themselves were probably the cause of the electric surge. As far as I understand, most manufacturers have a fast reboot protocol nowadays. That was a problem with early 2.4 systems and the people not used to them. If you look back in the archives a few years back you will see the reports of airplanes falling out if the sky. We all know better now.

Rafael