Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which Futaba 2.4 Receiver to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:01 AM
ekir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Futaba 2.4 Receiver to use?

I have a 12 year old 71" Wingspan, Ziroli P-47 War Bird with a Gas Zenoah 3.8 Engine. I have been flying it with a Futaba 72 System on Channel 22, Futaba FP-R129DP Dual Conversion PCM Receiver. It has worked great for years and maybe the KISS System should apply.

I am thinking about converting it to 2.4 so I will be using the same Transmitter for all my aircraft. The P-47 is the last plane that I have on 72.

I have three Futaba Receivers that I can use. I do not need the high speed function with digital servos for this aircraft. I just want a reliable system. All three receivers have been well tested in other aircraft that I fly.

Futaba R617FS, Futaba R6008HS or Futaba 6014HS

Any comments from Futaba Pilots would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: Which Futaba 2.4 Receiver to use?

What 2.4 transmitter do you have? Or are you using a Futaba 2.4 module in your old 72MHz transmitter?

All three of the receivers are fine to use. High speed mode (as I noted in the thread you started on FG) does not really do much for an airplane. It is designed for stick slamming 3D helis. HS mode allows the servos to reach full holding torque faster, which is of no benefit unless you are really banging the sticks like a 3D heli pilot does.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 AM
ekir
My Feedback: (1)

Using a 10CAG
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Silent-AV8R

Any will work fine as others have said on FG. I'd probably slap the 6008 in there just because you will get 8-channel failsafe with it. The 617 only does FS on channel 3.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i could be wrong... and I'll readily admit it if I am, but I think high speed mode only has relevance if you are using digital servos. Analog servos will work fine with those receivers, however with them I don't believe that "high speed" has any meaning.

Since those are all 6.0V FASST receivers you are basically choosing between 14 channels ( 6014HS ), 7 channels ( 617FS ) and 8 channels ( 6008HS )

so the real question is how do you want to hook it together? if you want each servo on its own channel you'll likely want to go with the 6014HS. If you are going to Y cable the ailerons/flaps/elevator servos then any of them should work fine.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: mattnew

i could be wrong... and I'll readily admit it if I am, but I think high speed mode only has relevance if you are using digital servos. Analog servos will work fine with those receivers, however with them I don't believe that ''high speed'' has any meaning.

Since those are all 6.0V FASST receivers you are basically choosing between 14 channels ( 6014HS ), 7 channels ( 617FS ) and 8 channels ( 6008HS )

so the real question is how do you want to hook it together? if you want each servo on its own channel you'll likely want to go with the 6014HS. If you are going to Y cable the ailerons/flaps/elevator servos then any of them should work fine.
If you are using HS mode you MUST use digital servos. HS mode only affects channels 1 through 6 as well. So even if you were in HS mode you could use analog servos on the non-HS channels (above #6).

Even if you use the 6014 with the 10CAG you still only get 10 channels.

I agree with the OP who siad he has decided on the 6008. That's what I would have chosen.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't believe HS mode is something you setup though is it? I think if you plug digital servos in it will automatically work at the higher frame rate... its not something you have to select or physically turn on. If you plug analog or a mixture in everything will still work with no changes.. however you wouldn't be sending the High speed frame rates to the servos. To the end user it would be a non-issue

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: mattnew

i could be wrong... and I'll readily admit it if I am, but I think high speed mode only has relevance if you are using digital servos. Analog servos will work fine with those receivers, however with them I don't believe that ''high speed'' has any meaning.

If you are using HS mode you MUST use digital servos. HS mode only affects channels 1 through 6 as well. So even if you were in HS mode you could use analog servos on the non-HS channels (above #6).

Even if you use the 6014 with the 10CAG you still only get 10 channels.

I agree with the OP who siad he has decided on the 6008. That's what I would have chosen.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Yes, the high speed mode "is" something you turn on. Its done with the "link/mode" button on the reciever. "High speed" insn't really high speed, its higher resolution from 1024 to 2048 segments from say full up to full down and the frame rate response is 7 m/s compared to 14 m/s.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:51 AM
pilotpete2

True on the first count, but not true on resolution. In MultiMode the transmitter provides 2048 resolution, with any receiver in 7CH mode you get 1024 resolution. HS mode just increases the frame, or refresh rate, good for increasing a digital servos ability develop its full holding torque quickly. If a servos transit speed is .11 sec. for 60dg at 6V, then that's as fast as you get[8D]
With the planes I fly, and my flying skills, I doubt that I can tell any difference between my models running 2048 (multiMode receivers) and a good ole' R617FS
Pete