Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

help w/mixing on DX9

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:06 AM
Jack_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help w/mixing on DX9

I have a new DX9 transmitter. I have set up dual rates on the elevator (Sw C), ailerons (Sw F), and rudder (Sw G) to support 3D (0), Hi (1), and Lo (2) rates.

I tried using 3 different mixes (D->Elev, D->Ail, and D->Rud) to mix switch D to elevator, aileron, and rudder in an attempt to have switch D select the three rates for all three surfaces at the same time. It didn't work.

So, how can I use switch D, or any other switch, to select the three rate settings on all three surfaces at the same time, but ALSO have individual control of the three? Perhaps there's another way?

Jack
Old 11-12-2015, 11:49 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Set up mixes AIL > AIL, ELE > ELE, RUD > RUD with -50%/-50% on the rates (or other negative numbers), all using switch D to control the mix.

Leave the normal rates as you set them already.

Andy
Old 12-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Set up mixes AIL > AIL, ELE > ELE, RUD > RUD with -50%/-50% on the rates (or other negative numbers), all using switch D to control the mix.

Leave the normal rates as you set them already.

Andy
I tried that, but whatever I enter for switch position 3 (using switch D) gets loaded into switch positions 1 and 2, also. What's up?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:29 AM
AndyKunz

Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of how mixes work. After reading all you've done, that's the only conclusion I have come to that seems to make sense. Just to make sure, I'll go through how they work.

A mix takes a percentage of an input and adds it to an output when the switch controlling the mix is in an enabling position. A mix is either on or off. When it is on, the Rate values are applied relative to the Offset value. When the switch is in a non-enabled position, the mix does nothing.

An "enabling position" is shown on the screen as a black box with white number on it. When the tick mark is under such a box, that means that the controlling switch is in that position.

If you want an input to have different effects on the output depending on the position of the switch, you need to define a different mix for each position of the switch. For instance, if you want a mix to add nothing with the switch is in position 0, 10% when the switch is in position 1, and 20% when it is in position 2, then you need to use 2 mixes. You will not need to define a mix for position 0, since it's not doing anything when the switch is in that position. Create a first mix then for the 10% effect, and set ONLY the [1] checkbox by the Switch prompt. Create a second mix with 20% in the rates, and set ONLY the [2] checkbox.

Does that clarify anything? Is there more I need to explain? Can you do this on your radio with just a basic model, nothing fancy, just a default model and play with the Mix screen?

Andy
Old 12-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Jack_K

So, if I want 3 different rates for 3 different channels, I'll need to have 6 mixes set, since I don't need a mix for switch position 0.
Correct?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Jack_K

The problem is, whatever I enter for switch position 1 or 2, gets loaded into all 3 switch positions. I have checked that in the Monitor.

Last edited by Jack_K; 12-10-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 PM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by Jack_K
So, if I want 3 different rates for 3 different channels, I'll need to have 6 mixes set, since I don't need a mix for switch position 0.
Correct?
Correct.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:22 PM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by Jack_K
The problem is, whatever I enter for switch position 1 or 2, gets loaded into all 3 switch positions. I have checked that in the Monitor.
That's where the [0] and [1] and [2] come into play. You only set one of these to black per channel.

You will end up with 6 mixes. Each channel will have 2 mixes. Each mix will only have one [x] checked - all the others will be white backgrounds.

Andy
Old 12-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
That's where the [0] and [1] and [2] come into play. You only set one of these to black per channel.

You will end up with 6 mixes. Each channel will have 2 mixes. Each mix will only have one [x] checked - all the others will be white backgrounds.

Andy
I did that, but whatever I set in any position of the switch gets set in all 3 positions. I give up, unless there's a problem with 1.09 firmware.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:54 PM
AndyKunz

There's not a problem, it works exactly as we intend for it.

Attached is a simple file. It has two mixes in it so that the B switch limits ailerons to 100% (pos 0), 90% (pos 1) and 80% (pos 2).

Go to the Monitor screen.

Hold the aileron stick to one side. Flip B (assigned as Flight mode) through three positions.

If you go to the Mix screen, you will see the 2 mixes I created.

This is like how Dual Rates works. You can put your Dual Rates screen on another switch and see how it affects. Note that the effects of mixing & rates/expo are additive.

Does this help any?

I'm heading out shortly to a doctor appt, but as soon as I get online again I'll check to see if this helped.

Andy
Attached Files
File Type: spm
Mix_Demo.SPM (24.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Jack_K

OK. Thanks. I would have programmed the mix differently if I worked there. But that doesn't mean I'm right.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:08 PM
AndyKunz

Do you mean you would have programmed the AirWare to work differently with mixes, or you would have programmed the mixes for this model differently than I did it in the sample?

Did the example get you heading in the right direction?

Andy
Old 12-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Jack_K

I would have programmed the airware differently. But that's just my opinion.

Your example is good. Thanks