Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Switchglo Pro Spectrum DX6 Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:57 PM
mirion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switchglo Pro Spectrum DX6 Setup

I am just getting back into RC aviation after a 20 year break and am still trying to get used to all the great new technology. I am not real familiar yet with all of the features on the new radios. I used to use a McDaniel onboard glow driver that was tied to the throttle position and really liked it. Now I am trying to setup a new variation of the ignition system called Switch Glo Pro on a Saito and a new Spectrum DX6 radio. I was able to get it allocated to switch F on the radio allowing me to turn it on and off but now I want to mix it with the throttle stick to come on at a low throttle position and that is where I am struggling. There is a You Tube video for this very thing but it is a Spectrum DX7 radio from 6 years ago and I cant seem to correlate it to the DX6. Has anyone else done this or can you point me some place that describes how to mix a stick position to a switch on the DX6? Thanks, Mike
Old 06-28-2019, 03:41 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Black or silver DX7?

I can help with black.

Andy
Old 06-29-2019, 07:35 PM
mirion

It is black but it is a DX6....Thanks
Old 07-01-2019, 08:08 AM
AndyKunz

Can you export your current model to the SD card and attach the SPM file here? That will let me see how you have the channels and switches assigned. I can then explain it step-by-step for you.

Thanks.

Andy
Old 07-01-2019, 06:51 PM
mirion

Not something I have done before but I will give it a shot. Just got to find a spare SD card to use, thanks Andy
Old 07-02-2019, 12:41 PM
mirion

Hi Andy, Here is the SPM file from my Spektrum DX6 for the Sig Midstar with a Saito engine and the SwitchGlo Pro. I am trying to understand how to mix the throttle channel with Switch F so that the ignition comes on at low throttle. Switch F works fine to turn on the SwitchGlo Pro although it only stays on for 12 seconds. (This 12 second thing is a function of the SwitchGlo) Not sure how that plays with the throttle mix. The below link has several examples of how to mix but they are different radios and mostly for Heli's.....Thanks

Link for SwitchGlo Pro Instructions:
SwitchGlo - Instructions
Attached Files
File Type: spm
004~4 Sig Mid Star.SPM (24.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-02-2019, 12:54 PM
AndyKunz

I have your file in my radio now. Thanks for the link to their site, that helps a lot.

Let's make sure I understand things.

When switch F is in position 2, then the glow is off.
When F is in Pos 1 (center) then the glow is tied to the throttle, and turns on at low throttle and off as you advance it.
When F is in Pos 0 then the glow is off.

Is that correct?

Is there a particular place on the throttle when you want it to turn on/off?

How do you have the switches on the SwitchGlo set? I want to make sure I understand how you have it compared to the manual.

Andy
PS - Your radio could stand a firmware update. Version 1.05 is several years old. I've added a lot since then.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:23 PM
mirion

Hi Andy, Switch F is assigned to channel aux2. Switch F is only two positions. Presently when in position 0 the glow is off. When in position 1 glow is on. All 4 dip switches on the SGP (switch glow pro) are down. I wish to have the glow come on when the F switch is at position 1 and the throttle is at 40% or less. As the throttle is advanced past 40% the glow goes off. Eventually I would also like to add another switch to the mix that disables the glow regardless of throttle position or switch F position. The person in the YouTube video (link below) has done exactly what I would like to do but I was unable to duplicate his DX7 setup on my DX6. At 7:38 in the video he summarizes what he has done, prior to that summary he goes into detail how he accomplished it. (I did reverse the servo on the transmitter Aux 2 channel to get the Switch F to work properly.)

Last edited by mirion; 07-03-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:08 AM
AndyKunz

I just followed his examples and had good results. There might be sign changes, though, because of the different radios. You might still need them, might not.

You have channel 6 AUX1 controlled by the F switch using the Channel Assign function. Leave that alone, that's good.

Throttle control of glow driver:
Mix 1: THR > AX1, rates 0.0%, -125%. Offset = 50%, Trim = Inh, Switch = On.

Over-ride control (switch C):
Mix 2: -C- > AX1, rates -100%, -100%, Offset 0%, Switch = On.

Andy
Old 07-04-2019, 04:56 AM
mirion

Thanks Andy, I am away right now but will try those settings that you have given as soon as I get back......Mike