Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Anyone still using LiIon or NIMH flight packs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 11:07 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone still using LiIon or NIMH flight packs?

Haven't been too up to date on the current trends, but where I left off was using LiIons and regulators, recently, I acquired a 60cc warbird, it has NIMH packs in it, not sure if I should upgrade it? Or keep using them, Id like to convert it to LiIons but I see getting regulators isnt as easy as it once was. It does NOT have HV servos in it. Thoughts?
Old 09-14-2023, 05:16 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

For most servos, a 2S LiIon is just fine. You should check if your servos will work.

Andy
Old 09-14-2023, 08:40 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

I run a 2 cell LiFe battery in several of my planes. Most servos made in the last decade are just fine with 6 volts. As far as it goes, there is nothing particularly wrong with a NiMh setup as long as it has the capacity to supply all of your servos. NiMh batteries have a pretty good shelf life but I would wonder how old these are. That may be more of an issue than the ability of NiMh in general.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:40 AM
JohnVH

I was thinking about the battery age myself, They were flying it recently, Ill cycle and load test.
Old 09-24-2023, 08:21 AM
PiccoLino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 60 cc warbird must be a valuable very large piece of plywood and balsa. Think in this way; your plane is electric expect for the engine hence I would go for a complete electric system refitting, such a Lithium batteries (both receiver and ignition), good brand regulator, new servos (at least for the elevator halves).
Old 10-01-2023, 09:25 AM
Jim.Thompson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vollrathd explains why digital servos in large craft require better batteries than NiMh here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t-Scale-models
Old 10-02-2023, 07:10 AM
JohnVH

Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Vollrathd explains why digital servos in large craft require better batteries than NiMh here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t-Scale-models
Ill look at that, but people have been using digital servos and nimh packs for decades without issue.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Vollrathd text is an interesting read but based on my personal experience with NiMH batteries it is not all encompassing.

NiMh batteries have quality issues that range from pure crap to 100% operational reliability. It really depends on the quality of the cells that count. Over the years I have had new packs die after a few cycles while others cycle to 90-100% several years later. AA up to 1000-1200 have been good for sport planes once passing cycle test. I don't bother with any larger capacities as they are inconsistent.

My previous large aerobatic planes and glo helicopters used 1800-3600 "C" from several known brands without issue, all passing cycle testing.

My best overall experiences throughout the years has been with NiCad's, too bad they are so scarce now, especially in larger capacity.

To me the key is staying with a brand that provides consistent success in all sizes and capacity and matching power needs to what is in your airframe. Too many people today just want to throw and go without learning or understanding power and quality needs.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:42 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick T.
The Vollrathd text is an interesting read but based on my personal experience with NiMH batteries it is not all encompassing.

NiMh batteries have quality issues that range from pure crap to 100% operational reliability. It really depends on the quality of the cells that count. Over the years I have had new packs die after a few cycles while others cycle to 90-100% several years later. AA up to 1000-1200 have been good for sport planes once passing cycle test. I don't bother with any larger capacities as they are inconsistent.

My previous large aerobatic planes and glo helicopters used 1800-3600 "C" from several known brands without issue, all passing cycle testing.

My best overall experiences throughout the years has been with NiCad's, too bad they are so scarce now, especially in larger capacity.

To me the key is staying with a brand that provides consistent success in all sizes and capacity and matching power needs to what is in your airframe. Too many people today just want to throw and go without learning or understanding power and quality needs.
I think that the point about quality applies to any battery chemistry as does matching the matching the battery to the airframe.